Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Cairney

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Whilst watching Scotland's magnificent performance against the mighty Canada last night!! I was highly impressed with Tom Cairney again - when we get promoted he has to be one of the purchases we make

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Norwood and Sidwell are hardly starters. So, if it were to happen, you'd bin Stephens/Kayal.

I love modern football.

PS. We are still in The Championship.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I hate these kind of threads "when we go up we should get.." it just gives potential ammo to those numpties up the road if we don't go up!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we go up the fee wouldn't be a problem.
And if Stevens does go then he'd be ideal imho

Sigh.

The fee would be a problem, because the club (Tony Bloom) isn't going to ditch every principle he's held just because of Sky's money.
Talk of If we go up the fee wouldn't be a problem comes straight from our loss making friends up the road.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sigh.

The fee would be a problem, because the club (Tony Bloom) isn't going to ditch every principle he's held just because of Sky's money.
Talk of If we go up the fee wouldn't be a problem comes straight from our loss making friends up the road.
You have a point although I believe TB would give CH the funds to have a fighting chance to stay up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You have a point although I believe TB would give CH the funds to have a fighting chance to stay up.
Absolutely.

But after reading elsewhere here about getting £80k a week Defoe and now 'money's no object' Cairney, it would appear some of NSC are already setting themselves to be disappointed.

Esp as the club has previously suggested it may need the Burnley model of success instead of the Portsmouth path to abject failure and near destruction.

Last edited:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
We (Newcastle) went for him in January and were scared off by a £22m fee. After a good season and his profile rising I'd be staggered if that fee dropped much, if at all. If you expect Brighton will need to strengthen in a few key areas, can you really afford to pump a huge amount of money into one area, on a lad who may not be good enough to perform at his current standard in a side that isn't comfortably one of the best teams in the division?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Whilst watching Scotland's magnificent performance against the mighty Canada last night!! I was highly impressed with Tom Cairney again - when we get promoted he has to be one of the purchases we make

We (Newcastle) went for him in January and were scared off by a £22m fee. After a good season and his profile rising I'd be staggered if that fee dropped much, if at all. If you expect Brighton will need to strengthen in a few key areas, can you really afford to pump a huge amount of money into one area, on a lad who may not be good enough to perform at his current standard in a side that isn't comfortably one of the best teams in the division?

Pete Donaldson on the football ramble stated that Newcastle would be in for Cainey assuming they get promoted. Sadly Newcastle would be able to offer him a much better contract than us.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Absolutely.

But after reading elsewhere here about getting £80k a week Defoe and now 'money's no object' Cairney, it would appear some of NSC are already setting themselves to be disappointed.

Esp as the club has previously suggested it may need the Burnley model of success instead of the Portsmouth path to abject failure and near destruction.

Burnley did spend a fair bit of money last summer on Hendrick, Defour and probably others as well. But I guess the argument is that they were a few years into a project by that point, having not spent a huge amount in their previous season in the top flight, got relegated but pocketed a fair bit of cash, spent wisely (alright ~£10m on Andre Gray) the following season, then went bigger last summer. Probably not a bad policy, essentially regarding Year 1 EPL survival as a bonus - but puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the subsequent season in the Championship to get promoted!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Pete Donaldson on the football ramble stated that Newcastle would be in for Cainey assuming they get promoted. Sadly Newcastle would be able to offer him a much better contract than us.

and should we go up (emphasis on Should!) , Fulham will probably offer him more dosh than us. No way would Mr Bloom break the bank. Think Burnley !!

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

Be interested in how he would fit into a Newcastle side - Benitez plays 4-2-3-1 does he not? Shelvey and Cairney would be one hell of a 2 sitting in but not exactly combative. Unless you think he'd sit behind the front man?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here