Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunderbird Won't Download Gmails

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Any IT experts out there?
My Thunderbird email client stopped being able to download gmail a few days ago. I tried reinstalling, checked it was latest version, searched Google and Mozilla help but to no avail.

The error message I initially received was: Sending of password for user xxxxx@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server smtp.googlemail.com responded: Username and password not accepted. The password and username are correct however as I can access mails directly on gmail website.

After reinstall and trying to re-add the mail account the message I now get is: "Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?"

Anyone know how to fix this? Any help much appreciated, thanks!:facepalm:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
That's the trouble with thunderbird accounts- There's always strings attached.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Keep monitoring your account, anything can happen in the next half hour

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Your username or password are incorrect - it's being pretty helpful on what the problem is. Do you have caps lock on?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Your username or password are incorrect - it's being pretty helpful on what the problem is. Do you have caps lock on?
Ha ha NO! Yes explicit but wrong as I can use same u/n and pw to access the mail via the net

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
check you have the correct ports set, and the right url. (after turning off and on of course).

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Been pulling my hair out over thunderbird today. I have an archived gmail account in an mbox file that will not open. 10GB of email archives.

I can't help, but it's good to rant.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I wish you well in your endeavours, I really do, but this time...this time, you will fail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here