Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Trollope

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He was Hughton's assistant at Norwich when the fans accused the team of being ultra-cautious and defensive, resulting in their relegation. Most recent away games we have set up to defend rather than taking the game to the opposition, even though we have the talent to rip most teams apart. I just don't get it. This philosophy has to come from somewhere. At the end of last season, we were winning games 4-0 (three times) and 5-0. The football was much more open and expansive. Not looking for a scapegoat because I don't know much about PT except he had some success at Bristol Rovers and failed at Cardiff, but something has definitely changed since Calderwood left.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He was Hughton's assistant at Norwich when the fans accused the team of being ultra-cautious and defensive, resulting in their relegation. Most recent away games we have set up to defend rather than taking the game to the opposition, even though we have the talent to rip most teams apart. I just don't get it. This philosophy has to come from somewhere. At the end of last season, we were winning games 4-0 (three times) and 5-0. The football was much more open and expansive. Not looking for a scapegoat because I don't know much about PT except he had some success at Bristol Rovers and failed at Cardiff, but something has definitely changed since Calderwood left.

I noticed this too, we should take the same approach for home and away games.
Better to be a couple of goals ahead than trying to nick the game in the second half, we blew it again.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I noticed this too, we should take the same approach for home and away games.
Better to be a couple of goals ahead than trying to nick the game in the second half, we blew it again.

I never understand why managers don't take this approach. Better to win half and lose half than to try for a draw.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

When Hughton arrived just over two years ago, he had to get us out of relegation danger. Many on Nsc complained he was too defensive, but it worked.

Yesterday we had 13 shots with three on target, exactly the same as Leeds, so we weren't being defensive. We had two shots cleared off the line, one in each half. Murray should have buried his shot.

Find another scapegoat.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There is a difference between last season and this. Last year we were chasing both in terms of points and goal difference. This season we are ahead and the main aim when playing a direct rival is different.

Still if we do go up and decide to attack top 6 teams from the start of the game it is only likely to end one way which will be embarrassing

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
When Hughton arrived just over two years ago, he had to get us out of relegation danger. Many on Nsc complained he was too defensive, but it worked.

Yesterday we had 13 shots with three on target, exactly the same as Leeds, so we weren't being defensive. We had two shots cleared off the line, one in each half. Murray should have buried his shot.

Find another scapegoat.

Sorry....but six straight wins v Leeds meant we had the psychological advantage going into the game. They had just failed to beat QPR at home and started yesterday in a cautious and slightly nervous fashion. We handed the initiative back to them. We had nothing to lose yesterday. I would rather see us perish trying to take the game away from the opposition than this cautious/can we catch them on the break tactics.
It almost seems that the management team expect to win every home game and anything away is a bonus. This seems to transmit itself to certain players, who generally give of their best at home but tend to disappoint away from the Amex.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
PT is an extremely good coach
Bristol Rovers sacked him as manager about ten years ago when about 8th in League One as they got the hump about losing a Freight Rover type cup semi final and no day out at Wembley
Bristol Rovers fell like a stone into the conference in next few years - only just back to same place in League One as where they started

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine what NSC would be like if Huddersfield had won. :ohmy:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Find another scapegoat.

Perfectly put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

meltdown-800x430.jpg

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Yep.....and thats why fans saying four away defeats in the last seven doesn't matter because we will rack up the points at home,are off the mark Eddie Howe had a good counter-attacking side in the Championship and adopted an adventurous attitude away. They demoralised many teams by coming at them quickly. They backed their ability and didn't rely solely on home points, where teams put numbers behind the ball.
We got away with it this weekend, after another sub-par away performance. Now the pressure is on to take six points from the next two, against a much improved Blackburn and a Birmingham side who took the game to the Toon yesterday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Find another scapegoat.

That is exactly the point our strikers fluffed their chances Wood took two of his. I must admit I am getting a little concerned about Akpom and do not understand what Arsenal see in him as on his showing for us he seems like a Manu mark 2 and unable to control the ball. Not that he was to blame yesterday but him coming on didnt help.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I don't see it that we are being defensive.
We actually opened up in the 2nd half more than I thought (13 shots) 3/4 very very good chances. We didn't take them. I'm surprised that we didn't attempt to sit in more and hold them longer at 0-0 and make them chase the game as they in reality needed the win more than us.
Last year was a different kettle of fish. We were chasing and had nothing to lose. At times we flooded forward. If we had done that yesterday and got done on the break there would of been outrage on here. This year we are in pole position. Seems all the top 3 have struggled in last 3/4 games. It's about holding your nerve. I would of prepared the players not to of known the other results yesterday before they played but that's life.
Plus side is another game down and no real damage done. On paper that was the hardest game we had left. In reality it may be different

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
That is exactly the point our strikers fluffed their chances Wood took two of his. I must admit I am getting a little concerned about Akpom and do not understand what Arsenal see in him as on his showing for us he seems like a Manu mark 2 and unable to control the ball. Not that he was to blame yesterday but him coming on didnt help.

There must be something in him they like. He had a great pre season and was tipped to play a lot prior to injury. In reality he's playing catch up on fitness and isn't likely to play 90 mins he needs for a few weeks to get up to speed enough to make a proper impact.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here