Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retro Football Manager

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
In case you haven't heard of it, there's a really good football manager game in the Steam Store called Retro Football Boss (been out about 6 months). I know there are loads of football management games around these days, but this one is really unique in that you can manage a football club of your choice at any point in it's history between 1888 and 1998. So you can take charge of Brighton from the very first season they played in the League, or the old 3rd Division South days, or the difficult last years at the Goldstone in the 90's. The beauty of this game is that all of the actual players from those era's are there. I've started the game in the 83/84 season which was when I started supporting Brighton, and the nostalgic value is brilliant, it takes me right back to my first years at the Goldstone watching Case, Ryan, Grealish and co., they're all there in the game and the attendances are accurate for that era as well. As well as the real life squad members, everything else is accurately recreated as well. The rules of the game for whatever period you play in (only 1 sub allowed in 83/84), the competitions (remember the Full Members Cup, the Milk Cup, Cup Winners Cup? They're all there. The game is still under development, so it's a bit rough around the edges and processing results takes a while, but the single developer is so committed to the future of this game that he is currently re-writing the entire code to make it faster and more visually appealing. And he has big plans for the future of the game including more leagues from abroad, challenging scenarios, international competitions like the World Cup, all in the format of the era, along with the actual players that participated. For £8.99, this is a great game which is modeled in the style of the old Championship Manager games, so it's easy to pick up and play, but still has a lot of depth. And I think that rather than start a game and play progressive seasons, it would be better to choose a single season, play it, and see if you can do better than we actually did in that year. If you like your football nostalgia, then this game really hits the spot, and you don't need an all singing and dancing PC to play it either, it runs perfectly on my laptop: http://store.steampowered.com/app/511790/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here