Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC OFFICIAL 2017 Tomato And Chilli Growing Thread

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Time to fire up another classic NSC horticultural Thread of Yesteryear methinks, seeing as how there's nothing much else to talk about at the moment :moo:

Well? How they hanging? ???

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having said that, we (me and the girlie) are going full blown into growing our own herbs this year. She's better at it than me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tomato and chilli sounds like a good soup to be making.

Certainly does. Tho personally I've been more inspired by the recent NSC suggestion of adding PEPPER to a cuppa Bovril. Looking forward to trying THAT one out at the Amex next time. Tho that poster then went and spoilt the suggestion somewhat by also suggesting adding more salt also. As if there was even any soluble room in the mix for any more salt :dunce:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Certainly does. Tho personally I've been more inspired by the recent NSC suggestion of adding PEPPER to a cuppa Bovril. Looking forward to trying THAT one out at the Amex next time. Tho that poster then went and spoilt the suggestion somewhat by also suggesting adding more salt also. As if there was even any soluble room in the mix for any more salt :dunce:

Bovril is salt! With a bit of meat additive. I would suggest splitting a chilli and adding that to Bovril.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Bit too early for tomatoes or chillies for those of us without greenhouses.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have some Jalapeños, Aji Pickled Frog and some Sweet Cayenne seedlings in the outhouse and have germinated some Super Marmande and Black Sea Man Toms. Tried growing Padrons last year and they worked well but I'm not growing them this year as they did not taste of much.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Planted some birds eye, orange habeneros, scotch bonnets all from older seeds, a few weeks ago, they are not coming through yet. Three of my four Carolina Reapers are already growing though..

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Tomatoes and sweet peppers were sown back in january.

Toms....

Ilde
Sweet aparitif
Shirley
Balconi red
Balconi yellow.

Peppers

Romano
Bell pepper mixed.

No chillies this year, first time for years.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've got various heritage varieties this year including brandywine, which unusually has potato leaves. I grow them against a south facing wall in newhaven and it seems to match greenhouse performance. Am always surprised when I read that you should limit it to circa 4 trusses outside as I seem to get far more than that without any trouble. Any thoughts?

Have had trouble with snails on my chillis so just have one habanero and one cayenne at the moment.

Edit- from left to right (toms): brandywine, tigerella, pear drop, some sort of Italian plum which seeded from last year.
2017-06-18 08.32.11.jpg

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Tomatoes and sweet peppers were sown back in january.

Toms....

Ilde
Sweet aparitif
Shirley
Balconi red
Balconi yellow.

Peppers

Romano
Bell pepper mixed.

No chillies this year, first time for years.

Blimey January? I tend to do mine in April. Greenhouse?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Dear experts....my "Heritage Veg" tomatillo, despite having lots of flowers, sadly appears to be barren. I only have one plant. Was that my mistake, or do you think employing a tickling brush would do the trick?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Dear experts....my "Heritage Veg" tomatillo, despite having lots of flowers, sadly appears to be barren. I only have one plant. Was that my mistake, or do you think employing a tickling brush would do the trick?

Is it inside or out? I tend to just use my finger to be honest and tap the flowers but if outside they should polinate ok anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You could try using a mist sprayer, if too hot and dry pollination is not so good and you get what is known as "Dry Set" and the flowers will drop. Spray 2-3 times a day and that should help

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
4aSZhYz.jpg

Loving this years crop so far. Plenty of fruit on the Thai Demon and the Maruga Scorpion is coming along nicely. The Carolina Reaper isnt far behind. Anyone else like the hotter varieties? First time growing super hot ones and seeing as only in June now looking hopeful for a good harvest this year !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here