Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Class faces axe in Southeastern rail franchise deal

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
From the BBC website:

First class travel on one of Britain's worst performing rail services is facing the axe under plans to tackle overcrowding, delay and poor service.
Passengers in south east London, Kent and East Sussex are being asked to give their views on the next franchise blueprint.

Has anyone told Beach Hut? :ohmy:

The point of first class always used to be the fact that, for your money, you got a separate, private compartment that gave occupants the opportunity to hold private business meetings on the way to an important event.

I did, however, always enjoy the luxury that those compartments used to offer on match days to passengers with kids who travelled with a Network Card. The kids travelled for a flat fare of about £3, which made a family outing very affordable. The Bracknell posse went to the famous Hereford game that way, and very luxurious it felt.

These days, of course, all you get for your money is a seat with a white antimacassar. Certainly not worth the money.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
These days, of course, all you get for your money is a seat with a white antimacassar. Certainly not worth the money.

I traveled to London by train last Sunday and sat in the seats adjoining First Class, which was identical in every respect to the area in which I was seated. Apart from stickers on the window that say 'Fist Class' I was at a bit of a loss as to what else you get for your (not inconsiderable) additional fare?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I traveled to London by train last Sunday and sat in the seats adjoining First Class, which was identical in every respect to the area in which I was seated. Apart from stickers on the window that say 'Fist Class' I was at a bit of a loss as to what else you get for your (not inconsiderable) additional fare?

Nothing....and if the train is REALLY busy (like, so busy you'd want to pay extra for First to get a seat) it'll either be too crowded to get to a seat, already have someone sitting there (who probably doesn't have a First ticket and there is zero chance of an inspection moving them) or the driver (or OBS if he has one LOL) will declassify First anyway allowing anyone to use it.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

I'm happy to pay extra for that kind of service.

Well done the rail companies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The end of the world as we know it, next someone will be telling me Big Hilda is not Ernest

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The point of first class always used to be the fact that, for your money, you got a separate, private compartment that gave occupants the opportunity to hold private business meetings on the way to an important event.

I did, however, always enjoy the luxury that those compartments used to offer on match days to passengers with kids who travelled with a Network Card. The kids travelled for a flat fare of about £3, which made a family outing very affordable. The Bracknell posse went to the famous Hereford game that way, and very luxurious it felt.

I remember mid 90s when the Network card afforded you weekend first class travel for a measly £3 kids or no kids. Most away games could be travelled in luxury for a tenner upgrade as well. I also had numerous free upgrades when our reserved seats were occupied by meat-heads from other teams which were travelling in the same direction; far easier for the conductor to move us than them.

Happy days.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A rail company does something sensible!

I think I need to sit down for a bit.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

All you really get is a seat.

Mind you, that must feel like luxury on Southern.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Whenever I travel up north I always travel first class from London as you get working wi-fi, free food & drink, and more comfortable seats. Utterly pointless south of London

I believe Jeremy Corbin tried this option once and on said journey spotted an "opportunity " as you can imagine he ****ed that up as well!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Anyone remember 3rd Class? Yes it really did exist. Saying that it sounds like everyone is travelling 3rd class these days!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As far as I could tell, the only difference between a 1st class carriage and a standard, was that you got a little white napkin draped over the headrest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here