Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wallers Haven

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone ever kayaked/canoed on it?

If so, what time of year and did you get any grief from any anglers?

Three different angling associations have rights on it so difficult to know who to seek permission from.

It's non tidal due to sluice at Norman's bay, so doesn't have automatic public access rights.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Pretty sure local angling clubs have got this sewn up but believe if possible launching is difficult

http://access.canoedaysout.com/map/showonly/1220

If you want safe inland water with easy access Cuckmere Haven has to be the best bet

Thanks, already seen that link. Can't find any personal experiences online so was hoping someone here might have some experience of that river.

You're spot on about Cuckmere Haven. We've kayaked on the meanders a few times and it's perfect! Safe for the kids, easy put in and stunning setting. We couple it up with a walk down to the sea afterwards.

We've also been on the Royal Military Canal and the Rother too, but looking for some new places to explore as well and Wallers Haven looks ideal. Will try to get up to Balcombe Mills this Summer as well.

galebs

Jan 28, 2008
Bexhill
Anyone ever kayaked/canoed on it?

If so, what time of year and did you get any grief from any anglers?

Three different angling associations have rights on it so difficult to know who to seek permission from.

It's non tidal due to sluice at Norman's bay, so doesn't have automatic public access rights.

Rowed on it quite a bit on the south side of the road as there is a launching stage by the boat house used by bexhill and Eastbourne rowing clubs also Eastbourne college. Never been off on the north side as getting in and out is a problem . Other place is iden lock near rye
there is a slipway by the tidal sluice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fished on it a lot, can't remember seeing any canoeists or kayakers though (not that it would bother me if there were a few - doesn't impact the fishing, especially on deep water like Wallers, a lot of which is 12+ feet deep). The banks are very steep and doubt there are many good access points. Boreham Street perhaps ?

Southdown AA control a lot of the fishing on Wallers, maybe email them and see what they say ? They also have Pevensey Haven which is a narrower and shallower

The Wey and Wey Navigation might be worth a look as well if you're looking for a new venue - I only recall this as from fishing there there are LOADS of canoes about !

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ri.../features/river-wey-information-for-canoeists

Jan 30, 2008
fished on it a lot, can't remember seeing any canoeists or kayakers though (not that it would bother me if there were a few - doesn't impact the fishing, especially on deep water like wallers, a lot of which is 12+ feet deep). The banks are very steep and doubt there are many good access points. Boreham street perhaps ?

Southdown aa control a lot of the fishing on wallers, maybe email them and see what they say ? They also have pevensey haven which is a narrower and shallower

the wey and wey navigation might be worth a look as well if you're looking for a new venue - i only recall this as from fishing there there are loads of canoes about !

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ri.../features/river-wey-information-for-canoeists
it would if you were fishing a 16mtr pole :whistle:
regards
DR

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I fish quite a lot on the Ouse at Hamsey, kayakers never bothered me, do you get lots of agro from anglers in general?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Never tried that but can see why it might be a bit dodgy. Great place to fish in the right conditions though, loads of fish there...................

Steep banks and the tide can rip through, but some great carp! been trying to bag a barbel from there but still no joy. tons of snotty bream if that floats your boat.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Steep banks and the tide can rip through, but some great carp! been trying to bag a barbel from there but still no joy. tons of snotty bream if that floats your boat.

Some good perch, roach and chub too.....and sea trout and mullet.
Some decent Barbel in the Ouse these days I think. I was involved when Haywards Heath AS stocked them about 20 years ago (around Lindfield in particular) and they took to it really well.................

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Some good perch, roach and chub too.....and sea trout and mullet.
Some decent Barbel in the Ouse these days I think. I was involved when Haywards Heath AS stocked them about 20 years ago (around Lindfield in particular) and they took to it really well.................

Going to hit it hard this year! indeed caught a cracking 4lb chub while float fishing for roach, will be fishing further up towards barcombe mills this year because I'm going to join Lewes angling club instead of renewing my hassocks membership. Tight lines.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Going to hit it hard this year! indeed caught a cracking 4lb chub while float fishing for roach, will be fishing further up towards barcombe mills this year because I'm going to join Lewes angling club instead of renewing my hassocks membership. Tight lines.

Used to do loads (match scene mainly, H Heath and Hassocks) but haven't had the time in recent years. Keen to get back to it.........just need to retire first...........

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Some really useful stuff here. Amazing what NSC turns up! :)

We'll have to walk a few stretches again to see what put ins are available anyway. I've a feeling up by Boreham bridge the sides are too steep, as said. I'll look near the Marsh road bridge as well.

We've only had a handful of kayak trips so far. All very leisurely with the kids and just going for the peace, tranquiilty and the wildlife, not racing the thing!

In answer to the question about any agro with anglers. The couple of anglers we've encountered so far have been absolutely fine as we've just given them a wide birth and a nod and a wave and no problems. That's basically how I want to keep it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here