Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Annoying advert on NSC

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
In the last few days I have experienced a particularly annoying ad appearing on NSC. It occupies the space at the very bottom of the page:-

AtomicBlonde.jpg

It is a video - a trailer for Focus Features' "Atomic Blonde". It is annoying for a number of reasons:-

1) I open a thread and start to read the posts. Suddenly the page changes focus to the bottom of the thread so that the video is in view - it takes over control of what I am attempting to read.
2) As it is a video, it starts playing sound with no notice. This is annoying if I am browsing NSC in a work environment.
3) This particular trailer includes the F-bomb - three times. Whilst this doesn't bother me, is it appropriate in the modern google-friendly NSC environment?

So, whilst I accept that there is probably a need for ads on NSC these days, do I really have to accept one that literally takes over control of the thread I am attempting to read, starts playing audio and throws swear words at me? :shrug:

Edit: I should, of course, have mentioned [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] in this post.

Last edited:

What you see is tailored to your own browsing history.

I am getting particularly fed up with an advert for eBay that invites me to consider purchasing a pocket watch that was made in the 1880s by my great great grandfather's brother. It doesn't work and isn't worth the £35 that the seller is asking for.

My fault for searching for "Harrison watches".

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

I am getting particularly fed up with an advert for eBay that invites me to consider purchasing a pocket watch that was made in the 1880s by my great great grandfather's brother. It doesn't work and isn't worth the £35 that the seller is asking for.

My fault for searching for "Harrison watches".

As collector of a few watches thought any Harrison watch working or not would be worth probably thousands but then your date tells me you are not talking about the famous John Harrison who was approx 150 years earlier.

As collector of a few watches thought any Harrison watch working or not would be worth probably thousands but then your date tells me you are not talking about the famous John Harrison who was approx 150 years earlier.

Indeed not. The Harrison timepieces I am interested in were made by Francis Spring Harrison and his two sons, Francis Harrison and William Harrison, who were watchmakers in Hexham, Northumberland, in the nineteenth century.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I was very pleased to find out BGC in Manila has a St. Patrick's day party this coming Saturday and also found my current condo as it was linked on my NSC adverts. None of it is much use to the rest of you though granted so always figured it was tailored for me.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Sometimes that is the case, but I can assure that I wasn't searching for Chinese women to date. I sent a pm to Bozza last week about dating sites that had started cropping up again. He has dealt with it.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Last week I kept getting an LG one with a massive pop up that covered the signing in box, was rather annoying.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I just got this advert, I don't recall ever visiting a Chinese or Japanese website

59e552f4684047cfa8318326a5da84ac.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What you see is tailored to your own browsing ".

Sometimes that is the case, but I can assure that I wasn't searching for Chinese women to date. I sent a pm to Bozza last week about dating sites that had started cropping up again. He has dealt with it.

I sometimes see adverts like you have mentioned TB, I recently had one appearing for ' gay cruises ' :rolleyes: I have never been on a cruise or searched for any type of cruise.
At the moment I'm getting ads for trainers and clothing and I have been looking at clothing sites. Sometimes I don't search for things for ages, this is when I get the random adverts appearing.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I sometimes see adverts like you have mentioned TB, I recently had one appearing for ' gay cruises ' :rolleyes: I have never been on a cruise or searched for any type of cruise.
At the moment I'm getting ads for trainers and clothing and I have been looking at clothing sites. Sometimes I don't search for things for ages, this is when I get the random adverts appearing.

Funnily enough those adverts only appeared when I viewed on my Ipad, but not when I used the pc.
I haven't seen them since Bozza dealt with it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Funnily enough those adverts only appeared when I viewed on my Ipad, but not when I used the pc.
I haven't seen them since Bozza dealt with it.

I don't use a PC or laptop for NSC, iPad most of the time and sometimes my phone. As soon as I close my iPad down I'm logged out of NSC, but before I log in again I see all sorts of ads for things I have no interest in.
Week before last I was getting a full page ad for a LG washing machine, it was on the screen for at least 30 seconds and I had to wait for it to finish before I could log in.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I recently had one appearing for ' gay cruises ' :rolleyes: I have never been on a cruise.

By a process of elimination, it's clearly not an interest in cruises that has triggered that advert, then... :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't use a PC or laptop for NSC, iPad most of the time and sometimes my phone. As soon as I close my iPad down I'm logged out of NSC, but before I log in again I see all sorts of ads for things I have no interest in.
Week before last I was getting a full page ad for a LG washing machine, it was on the screen for at least 30 seconds and I had to wait for it to finish before I could log in.

I know adverts are larger if you're not logged in, but I don't log out of Nsc, so when I open up Safari, I'm logged in automatically.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
By a process of elimination, it's clearly not an interest in cruises that has triggered that advert, then... :shrug:

I can't believe it took so long for someone to comment on that:lolol:
I did think, shall I edit that post to say I don't bat for the other side. :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I know adverts are larger if you're not logged in, but I don't log out of Nsc, so when I open up Safari, I'm logged in automatically.

I don't log out, my iPad does it for me.
If I'm looking at NSC and then walk away from my iPad for a while or look at Twitter, I get logged out.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz

Did it mention 'Navigating the Windward Passage'?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here