Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Was The Week That Was

el punal

What a down and up seven days. A week ago all Albion fans were in a state of doom and gloom following the unfortunate loss to Newcastle and the self inflicted like defeat to Forest. The Geordies then go from one point behind us to five points clear in a heartbeat.

Redemption time. The potential banana skin of Rotherham, rock bottom of the league and possibly the best opponents for the Albion in their current fragile state. Which Rotherham and which Albion would turn up? Well, we are made of sterner stuff than some believe. The boys did their stuff, a competent and comfortable 2-0 away victory, and a clean sheet too. Redeemed. The added bonus being Reading and Newcastle bored everyone to death with a 0-0 and the Magpies lose two points. Huddersfield were still there though, a 1-0 difficult win against Villa but still that elusive six points behind us.

Brighton now have a chance to put down a marker early doors on Friday. It's Derby day. In recent years the Rams have been the Albion's most difficult opponents. We haven't had a convincing win against them since our Vicente days (remember him!). We needn't have worried. Derby played like rabbits caught in the headlights and we were brutal. We pressed, harried, bullied, and with no little class put them to the sword, 3-0 and another three points chalked up. Another point made to our rivals. So from five points adrift of Newcastle we are now level, definite redemption.

The final part. Newcastle lose their chance to go up the table after being thumped by Fulham, and Huddersfield do their business by dispatching Brentford 1-0. A shame that, I was hoping the "Bs" would get a result, still, that elusive six point gap remains.

Seven days on. I don't know about your feelings, but for me, an air of contentment and confidence in Chris and the boys. This last week could have been horrible - it wasn't, we came through adversity with flying colours. No chicken counting yet but certainly a feeling of optimism. :albion2:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Huddersfield still have a game in hand - so gap is probably only three points given their current form.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
That was our blip, now to push on for the top spot whilst the others collapse around us!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
And we've got Hunemeier and Rosenior back.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
unfortunately I think it will be a gut wrenching ride for the next 2 months., but I think we will get off it feeling exhilarated.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When Albion loose, it's only the fans that feel it, as to the wider footy world, no one really comments much on it.
With Newcastle, they lose its a bigger deal, because of the high expectations, whether it's the size of the club or its history?

Albion can just keep doing the business, by winning and we'll see the PL, looming on the horizon.
For me I don't think it'll hit home until I see us mentioned in next seasons PL fixture list.
Or sarcastically, when MOTD give us more than the traditional 3 minutes highlights from C5's efforts.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do Huddersfield actually have any long term injuries to key players or are they going to get through a season with players just out for a game or two?

Not many clubs could cope well with three of their four first choice defenders out and this is something that has happened to us two years running now. Luckily we have top quality replacements this season. Bong, Pog, Duffy out and now Bruno looking like he may join them.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I agree with the OP. But.....Just can't help thinking that if hadn't been for that fluke goal, we would probably have held on against Newcastle - and we'd now be six points clear at the top of the table!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I agree with the OP. But.....Just can't help thinking that if hadn't been for that fluke goal, we would probably have held on against Newcastle - and we'd now be six points clear at the top of the table!

Quite. I've been trying not to think that because it drives me crazy when I do.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Perhaps, but there's no use in crying over spilt milk. We have to hold our nerve and be resolute in the face of adversity. It's in our hands and other clichés.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That was our blip, now to push on for the top spot whilst the others collapse around us!

People have been talking about 'blips' since Preston, Huddersfield, Brentford etc. That's a long blip....

The truth is that our form has been erratic since January. Some weeks woeful and other weeks sublime. Just when we think we have turned the corner we go and chuck all the good work down the shitter with performances like at Forest. We are still worrying about 'blips' whilst Huddersfield chug on relentlessly with ridiculous consistency.

I still believe we did enough early on in the season to just squeak auto promotion - but thank God the season isn't one or two matches longer or I fear we would be play-off fodder for definite. Just hoping we can keep our noses in front long enough to get over the line...

el punal

People have been talking about 'blips' since Preston, Huddersfield, Brentford etc. That's a long blip....

The truth is that our form has been erratic since January. Some weeks woeful and other weeks sublime. Just when we think we have turned the corner we go and chuck all the good work down the shitter with performances like at Forest. We are still worrying about 'blips' whilst Huddersfield chug on relentlessly with ridiculous consistency.

I still believe we did enough early on in the season to just squeak auto promotion - but thank God the season isn't one or two matches longer or I fear we would be play-off fodder for definite. Just hoping we can keep our noses in front long enough to get over the line...

Huddersfield had a bit of blipishness against Barnsley and Newcastle in recent matches, so not all plain sailing in their camp.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Huddersfield had a bit of blipishness against Barnsley and Newcastle in recent matches, so not all plain sailing in their camp.
They were outplayed by Newcastle which was very interesting. However there was no blip Vs Barnsley they were ridiculously unlucky not to win.

el punal

They were outplayed by Newcastle which was very interesting. However there was no blip Vs Barnsley they were ridiculously unlucky not to win.

Fair enough. Having read comments on their fans forum they've ground out results of late, Villa game in particular, similar to us I suppose earlier in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here