Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday shoppers in Brighton

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
They must all be MAD as hatters if they drive into town. This afternoon the whole of Canon Place was jammed leading up to the Churchill Square car parks and there were lines of traffic along the seafront for half a mile either side of Canon Place. Why do people put themselves through this? Five minutes in a traffic jam waiting to go shopping and I would be doing a U-Turn and be out of there. I imagine that these people have nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon? Just an observation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They must all be MAD as hatters if they drive into town. This afternoon the whole of Canon Place was jammed leading up to the Churchill Square car parks and there were lines of traffic along the seafront for half a mile either side of Canon Place. Why do people put themselves through this? Five minutes in a traffic jam waiting to go shopping and I would be doing a U-Turn and be out of there. I imagine that these people have nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon? Just an observation.

Wouldn't dream of trying for the centre on a Saturday .......closest I would try is Regency Square CP going in via Hove, but preferably avoid completely.......

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I drove to the station car park (as usual) this afternoon. Easy peasy and cheaper than all those mentioned above.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the cost of the bus fares puts people off of using the P & R at Withdean. It should be about £3 tio include all passengers in the car and it would be very busy. Perhaps if another was available uin the East of Brighton and around Portslade it would certainly ease traffic congestion. It worked well when we did a relief in Ipswich as virtually nobody drove a car into the town centre.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I think that the cost of the bus fares puts people off of using the P & R at Withdean. It should be about £3 tio include all passengers in the car and it would be very busy. Perhaps if another was available uin the East of Brighton and around Portslade it would certainly ease traffic congestion. It worked well when we did a relief in Ipswich as virtually nobody drove a car into the town centre.

Problem is it is not really a P&R at Withdean. It is a service bus 27, which happens to have a car park adjacent to it.

Would be to complicated for driver to sort out shoppers in to town and all other passengers going anywhere from Withdean to Saltdean.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Problem is it is not really a P&R at Withdean. It is a service bus 27, which happens to have a car park adjacent to it.

Would be to complicated for driver to sort out shoppers in to town and all other passengers going anywhere from Withdean to Saltdean.[/QUOTE

Would it matter if there was a set price to the Clock Tower and then an increase to normal prices for trips beyond there. With an Inspector getting on North St to check.

Perhaps the answer is for the council to do deal as per the football club or use the same sites when not in use for a game, which next season could be most Saturdays and the bus co charge a set fare per car. I must admit I always thought it was a P & R as per Horshams and just used the 27 bus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The centre of Brighton needs a serious transport overhaul IMHO. The bus situation on North Street, Churchill Square and Western Road it utter chaos. Bus after bus limping forward, swinging out all over the place and never seemingly able to stop near their actual designated Stop. Time for trams.

Perhaps the answer is for the council to do deal as per the football club or use the same sites when not in use for a game, which next season could be most Saturdays and the bus co charge a set fare per car. I must admit I always thought it was a P & R as per Horshams and just used the 27 bus.
When I was the Council officer responsible for managing park and ride services in Brighton, we ran a whole week service from Withdean, a Saturday service from Mithras House, and a Christmas service from Saltdean. Clashes with the football schedules made two of these options unstable and the subsidy costs were significant as well, if a low-charge flat fare operation was going to happen. Hence the decision to try to persuade people to use regular bus services instead of a dedicated P&R service, but it's been nothing more than a gesture that will never address city centre congestion. The idea of a large, dedicated site near the A23/A27 junction (Braypool, for example) has always proved too controversial but, in my view, it's the only way forward.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

And you? Why were you there?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And you? Why were you there?

Thought someone might ask that. Drove down from mid Sussex for a nice walk along the prom and parked in Wish Road. Walked along the seafront, coffee in The Lanes and walked back to Hove. Plan was based on the forecast for non-stop sunshine in Brighton .... reality was just a bit different.

Incidentally I never park in central Brighton as a matter of principal even though I visit the city two or three times a week. I either park in west Hove or north of Preston Park and walk into town and back. Bus as a back-up in case of inclement weather.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
City looks better in the fog! Utter shit hole beggars,chavs and no decent shops. In serious need of cash injection. Not sure why people would queue to shop there. Also not sure why the Marina isn't turned into a Gunwharf quays type venue instead of having empty shops and so much potential.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thankfully it only takes me about 20 mins to walk into town

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What has always amazed me and perhaps Lord B knows the answer but all the buses from The Steine go up North St to either Churchill Sq or turn to go to the station. Why do none go along the front and turn into West St especially those like the 48, 7 or 27 which go to the station. At least one could serve the front and the Brighton Centre etc.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Funnily enough that traffic hell sounds like anaverage trip to and from the Amex. Be it park and ride or bridge car park I'm sure plenty folk would question our sanity doing that every other week!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
On the rare occassion I go into town by anything but cab then I park in the London Road car park. Cheap ish and easy to get to. Few minutes walk from the city centre.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Trams would be great.... the question is always cost. Nottingham has them and they had to introduce a levy on car driving ( or was it parking?) in the city to help pay for them . They are super now.

Was it not ever thus in Brighton? I remember as a new driver 40 years back taking my Mini into town one Saturday only to be stacked up in jams .I drove home not having got out of the car. It is easier now, I use my O A P bus pass and can go mid week

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here