Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we are promoted, and Middlesborough relegated....

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
....will we look back at last May's game and forgive Mike Dean?

I was at the Riverside that day, and experienced the pain (whilst watching 30,000 Boro fans celebrating). 10 months on, however, we are having a pretty amazing season (23 victories, 63 goals), whilst Boro have only won FOUR games in the league, and haven't even scored 20 goals yet.....

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
There is a cold hard lesson in there. Enjoy this season as it could be most enjoyable one of all time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Always thought Boro would struggle in the Premier league under there current manger. He is to defensive. Obviously i want Palace to go down first but Boro would deffo be my next team. The way there fans conducted themselves around our players on the final day are a disgrace..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"IF we are promoted, and Middlesborough relegated..."

Then we won't give a shit about last season. In fact we don't really care about Middlesborough either way.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
....will we look back at last May's game and forgive The Complete And Utter Shyster?

I was at the Riverside that day, and experienced the pain (whilst watching 30,000 Boro fans celebrating). 10 months on, however, we are having a pretty amazing season (23 victories, 63 goals), whilst Boro have only won FOUR games in the league, and haven't even scored 20 goals yet.....

Nope.

Also a few boro well-wishers who frequent this forum will not make up for the way our players and fans were treated that day. Behaviour I would have fully expected had WE got the result required for promotion.

But nope, they got the result, were promoted and seemed intent on goading all the way from pitchside to the station, instead of celebrating.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
"IF we are promoted, and Middlesborough relegated..."

Then we won't give a shit about last season. In fact we don't really care about Middlesborough either way.

I don't forget easily. Would take great delight in seeing Boro relegated believe me.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I wouldn't swap this season for Boro's, a miserable limp towards at best humdrum survival or relegation behind a moribund Crystal Palace.
Obviously you can't choose when you get promoted, but we've had a full two seasons of putting everyone* to the sword and it's been an amazing time to support the Albion. I would ALMOST trade off losing a few key games a season if we were as rampant as we have been in the rest of them, Premier league or not. Of course Tony deserves a return on his investment, and may disagree....
*figuratively

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Always thought Boro would struggle in the Premier league under there current manger. He is to defensive. Obviously i want Palace to go down first but Boro would deffo be my next team. The way there fans conducted themselves around our players on the final day are a disgrace..

I have refrained myself from posting something similar. Running on the pitch to celebrate is one thing, we would all do that. However, goading and verbally abusing opposing players as they did, particularly in the circumstances, showed them up as classless twats. Yes you probably would get a few idiots acting this way at most clubs, Albion included, but not in the numbers those dickheads were.

I actually didnt think they would struggle and would do better than Burnley and Hull. You are right the manager has got it wrong this season and will inevitably walk away soon.

I wouldn't swap this season for Boro's, a miserable limp towards at best humdrum survival or relegation behind a moribund Crystal Palace.
Obviously you can't choose when you get promoted, but we've had a full two seasons of putting everyone* to the sword and it's been an amazing time to support the Albion. I would ALMOST trade off losing a few key games a season if we were as rampant as we have been in the rest of them, Premier league or not. Of course Tony deserves a return on his investment, and may disagree....
*figuratively

Am I alone in thinking that we are aiming for promotion for its own sake, not because Tony Bloom "deserves" a return on his investment?

He's spent his money, for sure, but spending on football is never an investment. It's a way of purchasing the pleasure of owning a football club, no more. I'm grateful for having had a lot of pleasure from his spending but, if it doesn't end up with the Albion playing well in the Premier League, I'd still say "Thanks for the ride".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Am I alone in thinking that we are aiming for promotion for its own sake, not because Tony Bloom "deserves" a return on his investment?

He's spent his money, for sure, but spending on football is never an investment. It's a way of purchasing the pleasure of owning a football club, no more. I'm grateful for having had a lot of pleasure from his spending but, if it doesn't end up with the Albion playing well in the Premier League, I'd still say "Thanks for the ride".

A big chunk of this, yes. Soon as the planning permission was granted, courtesy of Messrs Knight and Perry and the Albion fanbase, SOMEBODY would have stepped in and built the stadium. But would have had to be somebody with equally deep pockets, because post-financial-crash, sure as hell the banks weren't going to loan the Albion any meaningful money. We were just extremely fortunate that TB was/is an Albion fan. But in the end, he built it, he can't unbuild it. A bit like the guys that built the London Underground in Victorian times as a private investment. Hardly anybody even remembers their names now. But for sure, TB deserves SOME form of return on his investment. If only, worst comes to worst, he gets to lead his club out at Wembley at a Championship Play Off Final.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It's just a matter of showing gratitude to someone who has financed something pretty special. If Tony can see a return after stepping up to take on the risk then like the other poster I would like to see it happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I can't be bothered to to post a 'let it go' image I'll entertain the notion instead.

(All 'if's' that follow are to be treated as BIG if's)

If the Albion were to gain promotion, other than looking upon it as some kind of divine retribution, I think we should be grateful.

If things had gone the Albion's way last May, and the club had gained promotion in a campaign heavily weighed down with drawn matches.
I see a the real possibility us fans would have had a similar soul crushing 'after the lord mayor's parade', season that 'Boro have experienced.

If the Albion were to gain promotion this season, I'd say they are considerably better placed now to give it a decent go, and able to rise about the dirge that populate the bottom of the Premier League.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here