Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Surtees RIP

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having won four 500cc world championships and one F1 championship, how come he was never knighted? Nowadays sportsmen/women only have to fart to gain a knighthood.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having won four 500cc world championships and one F1 championship, how come he was never knighted? Nowadays sportsmen/women only have to fart to gain a knighthood.

RIP, winning world championships on a bike and then in F1 is a feat that is unlikely to be repeated.

Probably didn't get a knighthood because he was a humble man who never bigged himself up or went looking for publicity. Far more deserving than quite a few who have a knighthood imo. I think there has been controversy in the past about him not getting recognition or am I making that up?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
83 is a good innings, but as has already been stated, why he wasn't knighted after winning Motorcycle and Car GP World Titles is beyond me...

My father raced motorcycles in his era (1950's) and it was incredibly dangerous, he told me a tale of being at a Hotel in Douglas at the Isle of Man at the start of TT Week and sitting down for breakfast with three other riders. By the end of the week one was dead and other two were in Nobles Hospital; one had a broken back and never raced again.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
sad news indeed

I think his son was killed at Brands just a few years ago

as they say the word 'legend' is used all too often these days,but certainly not in this case

RIP

Mr John Surtees

A True Legend

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I wasn't aware of his motor cycle career and world titles before winning the F1 crown.

He'll go down as one of if not the greatest in motor sport.

RIP fella.

D

Deleted member 2719

83 is a good innings, but as has already been stated, why he wasn't knighted after winning Motorcycle and Car GP World Titles is beyond me...

My father raced motorcycles in his era (1950's) and it was incredibly dangerous, he told me a tale of being at a Hotel in Douglas at the Isle of Man at the start of TT Week and sitting down for breakfast with three other riders. By the end of the week one was dead and other two were in Nobles Hospital; one had a broken back and never raced again.

Surtees was the man, but he didn't milk it like some...................... Sir Stirling Moss.

Moss was not half the man Surtees was but Moss liked the media a lot and still does.

RIP John Surtees.:down:

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here