Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footballers living the dream

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Interesting article. I wouldn't have minded being a professional footballer though. The nearest I got was pretending to be one when I played socially (and still do!).

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This is a good article about the reality of footballers' lives. Yes, we all think they are living the dream, but the reality can be very different.

https://klifevskarel.wordpress.com/2017/03/07/footballers-living-the-dream/

Its an interesting view point, but I will always struggle to feel sympathy for people who have the opportunity to be paid vast sums of money and received huge adulation and then whine when they take that opportunity and don't like the downsides - be they musicians, actors or sports people.

You can always quit and do something else, work in an office and play football for fun for the local pub team or play music with your mates or join an am-dram group. It is possible to exercise their talent WITHOUT doing it professionally. They may not get all the upside, but they avoid the downside. Some may feel you have "squandered your talent" but despite the contracts and the expectations, you can still leave the profession and move on to something else.

I'm not saying it isn't a life with downsides... just saying that it is a gravy train that you can get off if you don't want to live with the downsides.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its an interesting view point, but I will always struggle to feel sympathy for people who have the opportunity to be paid vast sums of money and received huge adulation and then whine when they take that opportunity and don't like the downsides - be they musicians, actors or sports people.

You can always quit and do something else, work in an office and play football for fun for the local pub team or play music with your mates or join an am-dram group. It is possible to exercise their talent WITHOUT doing it professionally. They may not get all the upside, but they avoid the downside. Some may feel you have "squandered your talent" but despite the contracts and the expectations, you can still leave the profession and move on to something else.

I'm not saying it isn't a life with downsides... just saying that it is a gravy train that you can get off if you don't want to live with the downsides.

There are very few at the top compare to how many are trying when aged 12 or 13. I have sympathy with the viewpoint on education as many clubs don't encourage their youngsters to get qualifications. I have met several ex Albion youth players who have had to try and make their way elsewhere. I worked with one, who said he simply fell out of love with the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here