Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bloody Lefties...

0 Not allowed!
    Strikes me that Chris Hughton hasn't got the confidence in Murphy, March or Skalak to give either of them a prolonged run in the team. Who would you have? Every now and then Murphy looks class (the Reading game) but on other days he's about as influential as someone who's not particularly influential within the context of a professional football match. Likewise Solly March, who I really want to believe is the next Ryan Giggs but is keeping me waiting. Skalak? Decent enough on his day but ineffectual all too often.

Decisions, decisions...

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GJN1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Strikes me that Chris Hughton hasn't got the confidence in Murphy, March or Skalak to give either of them a prolonged run in the team. Who would you have? Every now and then Murphy looks class (the Reading game) but on other days he's about as influential as someone who's not particularly influential within the context of a professional football match. Likewise Solly March, who I really want to believe is the next Ryan Giggs but is keeping me waiting. Skalak? Decent enough on his day but ineffectual all too often.

Decisions, decisions...
      I think you've summed up how I feel about all three players too. I'd probably stick with Hughton's tactics of rotating Murphy and March and Skalak on the subs bench.
      My music blog: de-minimis music
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GJN1 View Post

Decisions, decisions...
      If they're all fit, there's a similar issue at left back: I know someone on here will disagree, but we've got real competition at left back too. At least, the righties are solid, dependable and pick themselves -- they're also joyous, hardworking and delightful, so there the analogy breaks down.
      The most curious thing.. Cheshire Cat's Avatar
      11 miles from Deva Stadium, 14 miles from Prenton Park, 20 miles from Racecourse Ground, 256 miles from Falmer - work it out yourself...

1 Not allowed!
      The only competition we have at left back is finding somebody who can actually stay fit enough to last to the end of the season (bring back Calde).
      "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

2 Not allowed!
      I don't see it as an issue. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I think March will eventually make the spot his as he matures.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

0 Not allowed!
      Regarding Solly I was widely mocked for saying anything from him this season is a bonus, and that only after preseason should we begin to hold him to account.
      I still stand by that, even though I was clearly wrong about the level at which he'd return.

I think AK is a little too ingratiated, there are games when it obviously just isn't happening, and yet he isn't the change that gets made.
      Which in turn doesn't really help Murphy and Skalak, as we end up rotating 3 players into 1 position.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.
      "The Venerable Bede is full of shit".
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Very frustrating for sure but they all have their moments....wish one would grab the bull by the horns and perform on a more regular basis.

0 Not allowed!
      Then again.

It wasn't so long ago we were treated to the sight of 'number 9 Ashley Barnes' playing as the defensive holding left winger in front of Wayne Bridge.

So complaining about March, Murphy and Skalak is churlish in the extreme.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Regarding Solly I was widely mocked for saying anything from him this season is a bonus, and that only after preseason should we begin to hold him to account.
      I still stand by that, even though I was clearly wrong about the level at which he'd return.

I think AK is a little too ingratiated, there are games when it obviously just isn't happening, and yet he isn't the change that gets made.
      Which in turn doesn't really help Murphy and Skalak, as we end up rotating 3 players into 1 position.
      Rotherham? I am sure I saw March replacing Knocky? I did have a few though so maybe wrong..Knocky certainly got subbed though!

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sir albion View Post
      Very frustrating for sure but they all have their moments....wish one would grab the bull by the horns and perform on a more regular basis.
      It seems like they are each suited to a particular type of opposition.

Skalak being the extreme, needing teams to stand off him, and not play 4-4-2 wing orientated football.
      Murphy needs to be able to run diagonally from the wing at half way towards the penalty spot.
      While Solly is the most like AK as a conventional winger.

Neither of which can cross like Skalak.
      Who in turn can't beat players like they can.
      Or leave them for dust like Murphy can.
      Who like the other 2 isn't as good a crosser.
      Those 3 are less defensively minded, than Skalak, but are fair more of a threat when counter-attacking.