Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Bates Our Tune moment - poor Arsenal fan :(

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Best read with this theme tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ZDsUGiGqM

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...enal-fan-rails-against-club-and-arsene-wenger

Eight-two down on aggregate, 12 minutes more to play, thousands of disgruntled fans streaming from the Emirates Stadium. For the first time, I’m among them.

Highbury didn’t die for this. It’s a phrase that became almost a mantra for Alan Davies’s popular podcast – The Tuesday Club – that ended last season, a group of lifelong fans left with nothing new to say about a club determined to bring fresh meaning to the phrase stuck in a rut. It wasn’t always like this.

22 July 2006. Dennis Bergkamp’s testimonial. The Emirates is packed. Fresh from a narrow loss in the Champions League final to Barcelona, Arsenal, my club, feel as if they on the verge of a breakthrough. In the words of the then managing director, Keith Edelman: “The whole purpose of our move to Emirates Stadium is to develop increased revenues so that they can be invested in the development of the team … It is clearly an important part of what we are trying to achieve and that is to make Arsenal one of the leading clubs in Europe.”

Many thousands of words have been written about what’s gone wrong since, but whether you put that down to the board, the manager, the sudden influx of foreign billionaires – gone wrong it has, leaving me, a season-ticket holder of more than 20 years, sitting in a soulless shell of a stadium, all the joy stripped from the thing that I’ve loved for as long as I can remember.

Arsenal fans have a bad reputation – often deserved – but the idea that we’re a bunch of graceless, ungrateful, passionless cretins is as hard to swallow as any prawn sandwich. Yes, the atmosphere at the Emirates is often dead – but what do you expect when tourists equipped with iPads pack out the ground, there’s a ring of boxes around the stadium making a Kop-like “wall of noise” impossible, and people who spent years next to each other at Highbury have been split asunder?

Of course, the old stadium – so wittily referred to as the Library by opposing fans – wasn’t always as loud as it could be. Show me a Premier League stadium that is. But on a good day, it was great. A crunching Tony Adams tackle. Ian Wright breaking the scoring record. A Thierry Henry goal against Tottenham, again. Glorious memories. It’s an atmosphere the Emirates has rarely come close to, despite 20,000 extra voices. And that isn’t all Highbury had going for it. The fans right on top of the tiny pitch, the marble halls, the tiled bathrooms – every inch of the place screamed history, screamed Arsenal. The new concrete monstrosity might have undergone a fan-advised corporate “Arsenalisation” but it doesn’t come close.

Yes, qualifying for the Champions League year in, year out is some sort of achievement. But it was an achievement Arsène Wenger was managing with ease before the stadium move; finishing in the top four is pretty par for the course if you look back through the club’s history. There might have been bad runs – but there was always a rare joy in that misery. It’s the life of a football fan. And anyway, we knew things would change soon enough. Arsenal have always won trophies, always challenged for league titles.

Wenger has been an incredible manager, possibly the best in the club’s history, the level of consistency unreplicated anywhere. But to what end? There’s little excitement in qualifying for the Champions League every year when you know, deep down, you have no chance of lifting the trophy. Despite all the promises, Arsenal haven’t looked like serious contenders in 10 years. The persistent failures at the last-16 stage have become dull. Football is about competing. The hope of victory. At Arsenal, that hope is dead. So who benefits? The players through their wages. Stan Kroenke through the influx of cash. Certainly not the supporters. The cost of my season ticket has remained sky high. If the money isn’t going to be used to build a competitive squad I’d rather have it in my back pocket, not swelling the club’s current account, if it’s all right with you, Mr Kroenke.

We were willing to put up with some barren years as stadium debt was repaid on the basis it would lead somewhere good. We were willing to leave our history behind in exchange for silverware. We sold our soul. Any advantage that extra money might have brought has almost been eliminated by the huge rise in TV income, but the purse strings have been loosened, two FA Cups lifted and yet that Faustian pact remains unpaid. We’re less competitive than we were, for sure; however, it’s the feeling that going to the football just isn’t as much fun any more that really chafes. And so I find myself traipsing out of the ground 12 minutes early, being jeered at as a plastic fan by those still in their seats. I’d usually be joining in. Not this time. What’s to be gained by staying? Gallows humour has died a death at the Emirates. Any sense of togetherness ripped apart by years of “Arsène out’ v ‘Arsène knows best”. I can’t stop going – I can’t bring myself to – so what other way is there to register some discontent than leaving an empty seat to watch this latest humiliation?

It won’t achieve the change I want. I know that. But it’s the only thing I can think to do. I want to enjoy going to the ground. I want the songs to echo round the North Bank, to lift my spirits and fire the team on. I want to go back home – but I know we never will. Highbury didn’t die for this.

:down::down::(:(
Maybe we should create a fundme page to get a truckload of tissues for him.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Does anyone give a shit about arsenal?

They are one of the most boring clubs around.

I always dread when I pick up conversation with one of their 'fans', I come out of the experience with a portion of my soul damaged.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Does anyone give a shit about arsenal?

They are one of the most boring clubs around.

I always dread when I pick up conversation with one of their 'fans', I come out of the experience with a portion of my soul damaged.

Will never forget a comment I overheard going into my LOCAL IN BRIGHTON one Saturday. We were at home and I was going for a couple of pre-match snifters as usual, and The Arse happened to be on telly on the 1230 kick-off. As I walked in, I heard an Arse "supporter" say to his mate "fancy wearing a Brighton shirt to an Arsenal match" :tosser:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I entirely understand his sense of loss about Highbury - I still miss the Goldstone, for all that I wouldn't go back there from the Amex, of course. But really, some of the fans of these big clubs have absolutely no idea, do they? They have no idea what misery really is, in a supporting context. I once went to Highbury and saw them thrash Deportivo 5-1 in a European Cup game, and some bloke a bit further along the same row as me did nothing but slaughter them from the first minute to the last. At the time we were, though going well in the league, playing at Withdean and already fighting what would prove to be a 14-year battle to secure a home, having recovered from the brink of oblivion.

Nobody has a 'right' to win anything. They haven't won the League for x years? Diddums. Try supporting Newport or Rotherham, say, at the moment. Or us, back in the 90s. See how that feels.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I wish these sniffling Arsenal fans would shut up. Moaning on about not wining the title for 10 years. Only finishing as the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best team in the country. Moving out of the great Highbury Stadium and moving to the soulless Emirates.

They want to try walking a few miles in the shoes of Brighton fans from 20 years ago. Moving out of the dilapidated Goldstone and moving to the dilapidated Priestfield.

They should try being a Coventry fan. They have not finished in the top half of any league for the past 15 years and had to play one season in Northampton.

They want to try being a Charlton or Blackpool fan. Then they might have something to moan about.

Being an Arsenal fan and complaining about only winning the FA cup is a bit like being a rich person who complains about only having 3 foreign holidays last year. Sniffling pricks.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I wish these sniffling Arsenal fans would shut up. Moaning on about not wining the title for 10 years. Only finishing as the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best team in the country. Moving out of the great Highbury Stadium and moving to the soulless Emirates.

They want to try walking a few miles in the shoes of Brighton fans from 20 years ago. Moving out of the dilapidated Goldstone and moving to the dilapidated Priestfield.

They should try being a Coventry fan. They have not finished in the top half of any league for the past 15 years and had to play one season in Northampton.

They want to try being a Charlton or Blackpool fan. Then they might have something to moan about.

Being an Arsenal fan and complaining about only winning the FA cup is a bit like being a rich person who complains about only having 3 foreign holidays last year. Sniffling pricks.

How can anyone really complain about being one of the top 16 EUROPEAN teams for the last 7 years?

Even if not top 10!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"Wenger has been an incredible manager, possibly the best in the club’s history ...."

Not heard of Herbert Chapman then? Another fan who thinks football started in 1992 ... and Arsenal seem to have more than their fair share of them

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Arsenal TV is hilarious. Never thought I'd feel sorry for an Arsenal supporter. But I've started to feel sorry for Claude. He seems to visibly age a very time he's interviewed.

el punal

I entirely understand his sense of loss about Highbury - I still miss the Goldstone, for all that I wouldn't go back there from the Amex, of course. But really, some of the fans of these big clubs have absolutely no idea, do they? They have no idea what misery really is, in a supporting context. I once went to Highbury and saw them thrash Deportivo 5-1 in a European Cup game, and some bloke a bit further along the same row as me did nothing but slaughter them from the first minute to the last. At the time we were, though going well in the league, playing at Withdean and already fighting what would prove to be a 14-year battle to secure a home, having recovered from the brink of oblivion.

Nobody has a 'right' to win anything. They haven't won the League for x years? Diddums. Try supporting Newport or Rotherham, say, at the moment. Or us, back in the 90s. See how that feels.

Similar story to yours. I went to watch Chelsea play the Luxembourg side Jeunesse Esch (sp?) in the European Cup Winners Cup in 1972 at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea were already 8-0 up after the first leg away. The home leg kicked off and from then on in Peter Houseman was vilified by a load of Chelsea fans close by. I think he actually scored a couple of goals that night and Chelsea won 13-0, 21-0 on aggregate!

Up till then I admired Chelsea and their fans as the new kids on the block so to speak, but not after that episode. Anyway, it was all downhill after that with them being relegated a couple of years later.

Arsenal TV is hilarious. Never thought I'd feel sorry for an Arsenal supporter. But I've started to feel sorry for Claude. He seems to visibly age a very time he's interviewed.

They're actors aren't they, at least that's what I always thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here