Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Anyone installed triple glazing? (UK only!)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We're going to replace our crappy old builders' windows soon, and will get a few people round to quote for decent stuff. Before then, I want to exclude something...

I'm curious about triple glazing. Some friends moved into a new, purpose-built flat next to a main road, and the triple glazing is extremely effective against noise.

But how much extra does it cost as a replacement, and how much difference does it make to the temperature?

We live in a relatively warm part of the country, but guess it would still reduce our heating costs.

Anyone tried it and found any drawbacks, apart from cost?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We're going to replace our crappy old builders' windows soon, and will get a few people round to quote for decent stuff. Before then, I want to exclude something...

I'm curious about triple glazing. Some friends moved into a new, purpose-built flat next to a main road, and the triple glazing is extremely effective against noise.

But how much extra does it cost as a replacement, and how much difference does it make to the temperature?

We live in a relatively warm part of the country, but guess it would still reduce our heating costs.

Anyone tried it and found any drawbacks, apart from cost?

Building Regulations require a window to have a u-value of 1.6 or better.

A triple glazed unit might achieve as low as 0.8.

But, bare in mind:
An uninsulated cavity wall is probably about 0.8 as well - depending on when it was built and the thickness of the cavity. Therefore there is absolutely no point in spending a premium on windows when the majority of the heat is going out the walls anyway. You'd be far better off exploring wall insulation options.

And, some triple glazed windows a UPVc window company will sell you will have excellent triple glazed units, but the frames will be crap and have a u-value worse than the glazing. So check the detail of the u-values that it isn't just the centre of the glazing but the area weighted average of the window.

If you have well insulated walls and building envelope, then yes, getting the u-value of your windows as low as possible would return the additional cost.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good if you live on a busy road and need more sound insulation

Agree with the above, wall insulation is often cheaper and more effective

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just a note about SafeStyle. Lots of ads on TV and they may be cheap (not my quote though). But once they have your telephone number they will ring you every week.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Building Regulations require a window to have a u-value of 1.6 or better.

A triple glazed unit might achieve as low as 0.8.

But, bare in mind:
An uninsulated cavity wall is probably about 0.8 as well - depending on when it was built and the thickness of the cavity. Therefore there is absolutely no point in spending a premium on windows when the majority of the heat is going out the walls anyway. You'd be far better off exploring wall insulation options.

And, some triple glazed windows a UPVc window company will sell you will have excellent triple glazed units, but the frames will be crap and have a u-value worse than the glazing. So check the detail of the u-values that it isn't just the centre of the glazing but the area weighted average of the window.

If you have well insulated walls and building envelope, then yes, getting the u-value of your windows as low as possible would return the additional cost.

All good points, and cavity wall insulation is another thing we have to explore. Didn't want it all falling out when the windows are replaced!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All good points, and cavity wall insulation is another thing we have to explore. Didn't want it all falling out when the windows are replaced!

Also, be really careful for cavity wall insulation. In exposed areas moisture can dampen the insulation in the cavity, pretty much reducing the thermal performance to zero, and can, most damagingly cause moisture to bridge the cavity and cause damp on the internal skin.

Insulation companies have let customers down in not carrying out sufficient surveys of existing cavities using endoscopes to establish the state of the wall ties, and how much debris and snots of mortar exist in the cavity void. The outside leaf of the cavity should also be in very good condition with no cracks or failing mortar joints.

If you google search for cavity insulation problems, you will see some of the issues. In certain situations it is fine, suitable and a beneficial undertaking, but I would recommend independent assessment of the cavity rather than relying on the company trying to sell you the insulation.

The alternatives to the cavity are composite insulated plasterboard sheets that can be used if you are renovating internally, or rendered external insulation (not always practical).

Build-In-Blockwork-Weather-Exposure-Map.jpg

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We recently had double glazing installed and during the survey I mentioned triple glazing to the surveyor, his blunt reply was "It's a gimmick and not worth it". Those were his words on the subject.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Also, be really careful for cavity wall insulation. In exposed areas moisture can dampen the insulation in the cavity, pretty much reducing the thermal performance to zero, and can, most damagingly cause moisture to bridge the cavity and cause damp on the internal skin.

Insulation companies have let customers down in not carrying out sufficient surveys of existing cavities using endoscopes to establish the state of the wall ties, and how much debris and snots of mortar exist in the cavity void. The outside leaf of the cavity should also be in very good condition with no cracks or failing mortar joints.

If you google search for cavity insulation problems, you will see some of the issues. In certain situations it is fine, suitable and a beneficial undertaking, but I would recommend independent assessment of the cavity rather than relying on the company trying to sell you the insulation.

The alternatives to the cavity are composite insulated plasterboard sheets that can be used if you are renovating internally, or rendered external insulation (not always practical).

Thanks. Yes, that's how the builders were allowed not to install cavity wall insulation - we're lucky enough to live in a "severe" exposure zone, so it's something we would approach carefully. Of course, the survey didn't pick that up when we bought the house, and British Gas simply didn't believe us when we applied for free installation. Our house is less than 15 years old.

Our boiler is also coming to the end of its life - spares haven't been produced since 2003, so it's on BG's "endangered" list! That's another forthcoming job, and we'll look at the walls after the windows and boiler, but that's what prompted the question about triple glazing.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
As a window and conservatory surveyor, we get aske d frequently about the merits of Triple Glazed windows.
These are not facts, just my own, and many others within the industry's, personal views.
1/ The cost of the glass sealed units to us as a trade supplier, is 50% dearer than double glazed, once the mark-up and vat is added, that makes them a lot dearer.
2/ The weight of the sealed unit is 50% heavier, thus ordinary double glazed hinges are not strong enough, so "Mega hinges" have to be used. Heavy duty hinges which
can bare the extra weight when the sashes are open. These are also more expensive.
3/ The cavity/air gap between the glass panes is smaller. Most triple glazed units are 40mm thick, made up of 4mm glass/ 14 mm cavity/ 4mm glass / 14mm cavity/
4 mm glass. The original thinking was that the bigger the air gap, the quieter and more energy efficient the sealed unit. Most double glazed sealed units are 28mm
overall, giving a 20 mm air gap, which when filled with Argon gas can give a U-value of 1.1
4/ The 40 mm unit means that the internal glazing bead is much thinner, thus the inside doesn't look as aesthetically nice as nice to the eye as a sculptured ovollo
glazing bead.
5/ If you are more concearned about noise reduction, you could always have the outsde pane as 6.4 mm laminated glass or even Pilkington Optithon Accoustic
glass.

My personal view,save your money,use 28 mm double glazed soft coat sealed units with warm edge spacer bar and Argon gas filled.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Cheers for that Hailsham, we're going through the same sort of window renovation and thought about triple glazing. Will have a better read up now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here