Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oliver Langford the ref

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a poor oerformance cost us 2 goals with wrong decisions.

1st Asambalonga was well offside
3rd Dunk clearly won the ball and the player went over his outstretched leg

Only 1 person to blame for the 2nd.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

The penalty was an outrageous decision. Right in front of him and Dunk clearly wins the ball. What a prat.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm not one to jump on the bad ref bandwagon usually, especially when we lose as it just smacks of sour grapes.

But... I honestly thought the ref today had an absolute shocker all round, and i'd be a hell of alot more irate at that fact if it wasn't for our own abject display.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We may be lacking in the strength in depth needed to carry through a whole 46 games season.
Not saying we won't make it, but it looks like a limp rather than a charge to the finish line.
We looked too scared and nervous to play with any commitment in the first half, we seem to have changed our game plan after the great first half of the season.
If the whole season were looked at as a single game, it looks like we are trying to protect our first half lead and we all know what happens next.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Does anyone know with 'professional' refs in the championship, do they get relegated to lower leagues like the prem refs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I was there and ref was not bad. What else was he supposed to do for first goal. Asks linesman if he was offside. Linesman says yes if he touched it. At that stage both ref and linesman dont know if he touched it so had to give goal. The goal was conceeded because 2 players were unmarked.The touch by the player made no difference to direction of Clough shot. Dunk should be ashamed of himself for getting booked when continuing to have a go at linesman after decision given and fortunate not to have been sent off after still arguing with ref after booking. I also thought ref did well for not falling for Knockhaert and Murray falling over all the time. I think we are clutching at straws when we lost because poor performance by all 4 of our attacking players who all gave 3/10 performances despite having loads of possesion

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was there and ref was not bad. What else was he supposed to do for first goal. Asks linesman if he was offside. Linesman says yes if he touched it. At that stage both ref and linesman dont know if he touched it so had to give goal. The goal was conceeded because 2 players were unmarked.The touch by the player made no difference to direction of Clough shot. Dunk should be ashamed of himself for getting booked when continuing to have a go at linesman after decision given and fortunate not to have been sent off after still arguing with ref after booking. I also thought ref did well for not falling for Knockhaert and Murray falling over all the time. I think we are clutching at straws when we lost because poor performance by all 4 of our attacking players who all gave 3/10 performances despite having loads of possesion

Agreed that we can't dwell on shit like that when it happens. Team has to shrug it off. But it was another moment of very bad luck at a key time. The fact Assombalonga was off on his own on a lap of honour was a pretty good clue that he at least believed he touched it. Fine margins turned the last 2 games - there's no need for all the panic on here (largely from people who will be saying we're world beaters next time we win, no doubt).

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
Agree the ref was useless and cost us two goals but he was on par with that lack luster performance by the Albion.

We were terrible, there were absolutely no positives from the Albion yesterday (a part from the fans) and it was the first time in many years that I couldn't bring myself to clap them off.

I felt Chris got his selections wrong and we lacked drive from the sideline, there was no leadership on the pitch, Knockeart spent 20 mins or so sulking and how Murray was allowed to stay on for 90 minutes was bemusing. I think he won one header all game and looked fatigued. We had a righted footed left back which meant a) he had to keeping checking back to get a cross in and b) had to play a cross the face of the goal pass back to Stockdale who failed to deal with a ball that had him under all sorts of pressure. They weren't the only individuals to blame it was a very poor team effort.

Yes the pitch didn't help our style and yes the ref costs us goals but we didn't help ourselves,we were terrible.

Just hope Tuesdays drive up North is more rewarding than this one!!!.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Not necessarily as it may have been a very different game if the first goal was correctly ruled out. The ref definitely had an impact on the result.

If the team were affected by that decision then surely it brings in to question their character as a unit. Surely it should have been a roll up your sleeves and fight for the cause rather than going into a collective sulk.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was there and ref was not bad. What else was he supposed to do for first goal. Asks linesman if he was offside. Linesman says yes if he touched it. At that stage both ref and linesman dont know if he touched it so had to give goal.
I disagree with that. If a linesman and ref have a brain between them, Assombalonga reeling away in celebration is enough indication that he'd touched it. Even if you were giving Forest the benefit of the doubt that he was claiming someone else's goal, the fact that he lunged at the ball to try and get a deflection is interfering with play from an offside position.

Ref's make mistakes on split second decisions, which is fair enough, but on this occasion they had enough time between them to discuss and conclude that the decision to give the goal should be reversed (like that time in first leg at Hillsborough).

I agree with the rest of you post though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I am not disputing that we were poor but I think that Asambalonga was obstructing Stockdales view in an offside position so that goal should have been disallowed. The penalty was simply a wrong decision and had we been just trying to overcome only DS mistake our attitude and approach would have been different and we may have got an equaliser. So without doubt he effectively cost us the game

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I am not disputing that we were poor but I think that Asambalonga was obstructing Stockdales view in an offside position so that goal should have been disallowed. The penalty was simply a wrong decision and had we been just trying to overcome only DS mistake our attitude and approach would have been different and we may have got an equaliser. So without doubt he effectively cost us the game

Plenty of if's and but's that we will never know the answer to.

But our failure to score ultimately cost us at least a point if not the game, that is surely an undisputed fact?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Plenty of if's and but's that we will never know the answer to.

But our failure to score ultimately cost us at least a point if not the game, that is surely an undisputed fact?

It is as is the fact that we lacked urgency cohesion and the old will to win and not get beat which has taken us through many games this season.

I am hopeful that it will be back by Tuesday and look forward to 6 points this week which then heaps more pressuree on the chasing teams as the games get less and less.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't disagree with the OP. It's a testament to how bad Forest are that we were as poor as we've been under Hughton and they still needed 2 big slices of luck and a horrific goalkeeping error to get the ball in the net.

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Does anyone know if refereeing performances are still assessed in any way? I recall in the past there being an assessor at the game and each team submitting a 'mark' for how they thought he did. Would be interested to know if this is still the case or whether they can just go from match to match making the same mistakes without any kind of feedback on good/sh1te they have been.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Was an amazing performance from a Newcastle/Huddersfield perspective. Get with the agenda people. At least he bottled sending Dunk off.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here