Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber is language test challenge

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
You really couldn't make it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39154428

Uber are trying to prevent their drivers from having to take English language tests.

I don't know about you, but I'd really rather my driver be able to speak English to a good standard in case they have to respond quickly to an accident or emergency situation. Oh and know where they're going having been given an address/post code rather than rely on the sat nav to get them there.

Am I picky?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I think the OP could get the title right as well, given the nature of the topic :annoyed:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Uber are trying to prevent their drivers from having to take English language tests.

I don't know about you, but I'd really rather my driver be able to speak English to a good standard in case they have to respond quickly to an accident or emergency situation. Oh and know where they're going having been given an address/post code rather than rely on the sat nav to get them there.

Am I picky?

Hypocritical is the word that immediately springs to mind.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Of course all Taxi/Private Hire drivers should be able to speakie and understandie the Engleeshie init

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've used uber in London and Newcastle and found it very cheap. Went from lewes road to hove a few weeks ago in this flash BMW, the guy got road rage and it was slightly more than a cab so not sure if I'll be using them again down here

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've used uber in London and Newcastle and found it very cheap. Went from lewes road to hove a few weeks ago in this flash BMW, the guy got road rage and it was slightly more than a cab so not sure if I'll be using them again down here

A BMW driver getting road rage? I don't believe that.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I use them a lot (in London mainly) and normally they are pretty good and certainly cheaper than black cabs when on normal pricing. If there is a surge price then there is no point you might as well get a black cab. I've had enough problems with them though that its a necessity they speak English. The last one I got a week or so back the lad was from Croydon and tended to do only local jobs down there. He'd had a job to take someone in to the city and put his "light" back on after he'd dropped off and picked me up. I was at Holborn and wanted to get to London Bridge. He didn't have a clue how to get there. If you are driving a cab in London how can you not know where all the main line stations are!?! That said I guess you get what you pay for, even taking me round the houses it was still only £11. Black cab would have been between £15-£20.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I use them a lot (in London mainly) and normally they are pretty good and certainly cheaper than black cabs when on normal pricing. If there is a surge price then there is no point you might as well get a black cab. I've had enough problems with them though that its a necessity they speak English. The last one I got a week or so back the lad was from Croydon and tended to do only local jobs down there. He'd had a job to take someone in to the city and put his "light" back on after he'd dropped off and picked me up. I was at Holborn and wanted to get to London Bridge. He didn't have a clue how to get there. If you are driving a cab in London how can you not know where all the main line stations are!?! That said I guess you get what you pay for, even taking me round the houses it was still only £11. Black cab would have been between £15-£20.
Yeah I hear ya, my first uber was nearly a 40 min ride across London and only cost 20 quid, God knows how much a black cab would've been

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

There's certain routes Uber drivers aren't allowed to take, so they always tell me. Some of the bridges including London Bridge they can't use. Could just be a ruse to sting me given that's where I live.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon

Am I picky?

To be fair, I've heard that the language tests are pretty taxiing!

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Seriously, Taxi and PH drivers should have to be able to speak, read and understand English to a certain level along with a good knowledge of the area in which they are operating in. This is what our licensing authority require.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Yeah I hear ya, my first uber was nearly a 40 min ride across London and only cost 20 quid, God knows how much a black cab would've been

As I understand it, charges on the taxi meter are an upper limit rate per mile set by TFL. Should a Cabbie wish to have the meter set at a lower rate per mile, that would be perfectly legal. Funny how cabbies don't tell you that when they complain about Uber.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
.... I was at Holborn and wanted to get to London Bridge. He didn't have a clue how to get there. If you are driving a cab in London how can you not know where all the main line stations are!?!

well it wasnt a cab was it, its a bloke with car and a sat nav.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There's certain routes Uber drivers aren't allowed to take, so they always tell me. Some of the bridges including London Bridge they can't use. Could just be a ruse to sting me given that's where I live.

the only reason i can think of for this is so they avoid the old bill doing spot checks.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes

Holborn to London Bridge, you should and could have walked. Good exercise!!!!

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Sorry that's incorrect a taxi meter must be adjusted and sealed within 14 days of a tariff change,, to the new tarriff,, a broken seal would result in the cab being taken of the road until the seal is replaced, which can only be done by a licencing official !but you can say I've only got a £10er can you get me home !

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here