Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham air disaster

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-39105085

On publication of the report into the disaster, AAIB principal inspector Julian Firth said: "The aircraft crashed because at the top of its aerobatic manoeuvre it was too low to complete it."
The report said the pilot carried out the manoeuvre at less than maximum thrust.
It would have been possible to abort it safely at the apex of the loop but Mr Hill had not been trained in the escape manoeuvre which might have got him out of trouble.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Statement from the organisers.

[tweet]837637754817286144[/tweet]

Following the publication of the final AAIB report into the Shoreham Airshow crash, the thoughts and sympathies of everyone associated with the Airshow are with the families of the victims on what will understandably be an emotional day.
The report clearly confirms that a series of errors by an experienced and fully authorised pilot were the cause of the tragic crash on 22 August 2015.
The Shoreham Airshow has been an important part of the local community for 26 years, raising over £2m for charity. The organisers always worked hard to ensure the event was both safe and successful. Our main aim in 2015 was to do just that, but there are findings in the report that will require further analysis and reflection.
The report also contains important recommendations for the CAA, as well as the wider airshow industry, and these must be noted carefully. Any recommendations made by the AAIB that are aimed at improving the safety of air displays can only be welcomed.
The organisers of the Airshow will continue to participate in the ongoing inquest as an interested party.
RAFA, organisers of the Shoreham Airshow
Spokesman

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
The list of recommendations, errors, and omissions are absolutely shocking. Absolutely staggering that some of that stuff wasn't/isn't compulsory at any airshow event or that pilot training seems so inadequate. Incredibly sad that it took such a tragedy to highlight to the authorities the dangers associated.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is astonishing the pilot was not required to submit his own risk assessment and flight plan to the organisers.

I have to do a Designer's Risk Assessment if I proposed a new window above ground floor in a construction project. A pilot can get in a plane and not tell anyone what he is planning to do? Really does beggar belief.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Astonishingly he did. Tho can't recall ever seeing an explanation of how he managed to survive a fireball of that magnitude.

Particularly astonishing since the ejector seat had some 'expired' parts. A quite extraordinary piece of 'luck'.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
"Mr Hill had not been trained in the escape manoeuvre"

Unbelievable.

Like training a train driver but not showing him where the brakes are.

I've no idea if it's that simple ....

Might be more like passing your driving test and then trying to find the "escape manoeuvre" when making a misjudgement on ice or snow ....
Or, until recently, even motorway driving for newly qualified car pilots was a case of find out for yourself ....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Statement from the organisers.

[tweet]837637754817286144[/tweet]

Following the publication of the final AAIB report into the Shoreham Airshow crash, the thoughts and sympathies of everyone associated with the Airshow are with the families of the victims on what will understandably be an emotional day.
The report clearly confirms that a series of errors by an experienced and fully authorised pilot were the cause of the tragic crash on 22 August 2015.
The Shoreham Airshow has been an important part of the local community for 26 years, raising over £2m for charity. The organisers always worked hard to ensure the event was both safe and successful. Our main aim in 2015 was to do just that, but there are findings in the report that will require further analysis and reflection.
The report also contains important recommendations for the CAA, as well as the wider airshow industry, and these must be noted carefully. Any recommendations made by the AAIB that are aimed at improving the safety of air displays can only be welcomed.
The organisers of the Airshow will continue to participate in the ongoing inquest as an interested party.
RAFA, organisers of the Shoreham Airshow
Spokesman

Seems a bit dodgy releasing a statement like that when the report cites both pilot errors and ineffective planning etc?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Seems a bit dodgy releasing a statement like that when the report cites both pilot errors and ineffective planning etc?

Completely agree. It seems there are two elements to this. The crash occurred because the pilot exited the manoeuvre at the wrong height and not with maximum thrust. He hadn't been trained in the exit maneouvre so once the error had occurred, a crash was a likely outcome. None of this suggests the possibility of 11 fatalities, 1 (which would be tragic enough) being very possible.

The severity of the incident seems to lie much more clearly in a hugely deficient planning process, not necessarily through neglect, but regulations not actually requiring it. So not only was the risk assessment inadequate, the CAA actually don't need to see any risk assessment before allowing a flying display to take place. This from the BBC beggars belief:

"The AAIB also found the severity of the outcome of the crash was due to "an absence of provisions to mitigate the effects of an aircraft crashing in an area outside the control of the organisers of the flying display".
The report said the risk assessment "was not suitable and sufficient to manage the risks to the public", and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) did not require to see or approve risk assessments before issuing a permission to hold a flying display.
The report makes a series of safety recommendations including that airshow organisers must conduct suitable and sufficient risk assessments...."

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you can see you don't have enough speed or altitude at the apex [top of the loop] the escape manoeuvre to to roll out at the top of the loop.

As the report suggests, the pilot either didn't know the speed/altitude requirement / didn't look at his instruments / misread his instruments / instruments were faulty or he didn't know the escape manoeuvre. Only the surviving pilot will know the honest answer to this, the rest of us can only speculate.

As the AAIB says, their job is to try and ensure nothing similar happens again, not apportion blame.

It's was a sad day in the history of Sussex .... but I don't think we've heard the last of this ....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What I always found incredible was the fact that he performed that manoeuvre whilst flying directly along the A27. That strikes me as being INCREDIBLY reckless, to perform a loop whilst actually following the path of a major dual carriageway.

I'm no lawyer, but that factor alone could be a major factor if they bring about a manslaughter charge.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
As the report suggests, the pilot either didn't know the speed/altitude requirement / didn't look at his instruments / misread his instruments / instruments were faulty or he didn't know the escape manoeuvre. Only the surviving pilot will know the honest answer to this, the rest of us can only speculate.

I think the BBC article provides an interesting theory that he confused the plane with another one he more frequently used, which is smaller and lighter, and for which the speed and altitude might have been appropriate. It seems to now be presented as fact that he wasn't trained in the escape maneuver.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What I always found incredible was the fact that he performed that manoeuvre whilst flying directly along the A27. That strikes me as being INCREDIBLY reckless, to perform a loop whilst actually following the path of a major dual carriageway.

I'm no lawyer, but that factor alone could be a major factor if they bring about a manslaughter charge.

Pretty sure that most pilots of light aircraft use major roads to navigate by, and always have done. It's by doing the manoeuvre directly over that road that should have IMHO featured in any rudimentary form of risk assessment. Why not do it over the nearby water, where only the pilot would have been at risk? Sadly, always easy to be wise after the event. Like any air accident, valuable lessons will have been learned to make future displays all that much safer. Just so tragic that so many people had to lose their lives for that lesson to be learned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here