Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Indies v England - 1st ODI, Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Start: 1330 GMT

Sam Billings & Jason Roy are expected to open for England, with Steven Finn in for Jake Ball.

Probable England XI: Sam Billings, Jason Roy, Joe Root, Eoin Morgan (capt), Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler (wk), Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid, Liam Plunkett, Steven Finn.

For the hosts, Kieran Powell is expected to open and make his first West Indies ODI start in 3 years, selected from a squad missing Marlon Samuels, Sulieman Benn, Johnson Charles & Sunil Narine.

Probable West Indies XI: Evin Lewis, Kieran Powell, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shai Hope (wk), Jonathan Carter, Carlos Brathwaite, Rovman Powell, Jason Holder (capt), Devendra Bishoo, Ashley Nurse, Shannon Gabriel

Form (Last 5 matches)

West Indies: LLTWL
England: WLLWL

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Toss will be delayed by rain. :nono:

Pitch and outfield look decidedly dodgy too.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
West Indies win the toss and will bowl.

West Indies: Lewis, Brathwaite, Powell, Hope, Mohammed, Carter, Holder, Brathwaite, Nurse, Bishoo, Gabriel.

England: Roy, Billings, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Moeen, Rashid, Woakes, Plunkett, Finn.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
In the past I would have got really excited by an England/West Indies series. They have declined so much I'm really not interested. Very sad...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Surprised Jordan hasn't made the team, he bats, fields and bowls better at the death than Finn.

:shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In the past I would have got really excited by an England/West Indies series. They have declined so much I'm really not interested. Very sad...

Indeed, they had us on toast for 2 decades.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bringing back fond memories of our Caribbean cruise a few years back. On the Antigua stop I went on an organised cricket ground tour taking in the Vivian Richards Ground, the Stanford Complex and lastly a Q&A session with fast bowling legend Andy Roberts at The Recreation Ground.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, the time I started getting into cricket. Remember quite often the tests were over within 3/4 days, and not in our favour !! What an awesome pace attack they had back in the mid 80's

It was an endless and seamless ( excuse the pun ! ) production line of quicks through the 70's and 80's that, with a formidable batting line up spelt doom for England

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It was an endless and seamless ( excuse the pun ! ) production line of quicks through the 70's and 80's that, with a formidable batting line up spelt doom for England

Can't say their bowling made it attractive to watch, much of it was intimidation in my opinion. But where have all their quicks gone?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They could bowl very well and accurately but I must admit there was a lot of " Chin Music " in those days.... Where have they gone ? The late, great Tony Cozier blamed it on the satellite TV beamed out from the US.... All their athletic sportsmen saw there was more money to be made in Basketball and Baseball rather than staying and playing cricket. Even in their pomp, the West Indies players were always poorly paid. So they went where the cash was.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
They could bowl very well and accurately but I must admit there was a lot of " Chin Music " in those days.... Where have they gone ? The late, great Tony Cozier blamed it on the satellite TV beamed out from the US.... All their athletic sportsmen saw there was more money to be made in Basketball and Baseball rather than staying and playing cricket. Even in their pomp, the West Indies players were always poorly paid. So they went where the cash was.

IPL should make up the cash these days, although I know it won't be the dosh you can get in the NBA etc..

Anyway back to the game, already 3 down, a long way away with a required run rate of more than 7 runs an over.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here