Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT heating problems

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Any resident heating engineers about to give advice.

Moved into a newish build (4years old) have two heating zones a danfoss thermostat in lounge for down stairs and a danfoss tp9000 upstairs on wall by stairs for upstairs , all has been well since moving in last May, but for the third time is two weeks I have been woken up at 3 am sweating like a pig , the upstairs thermostat was set for 15 degrees yet it hadn't turned the heating off and boiler was was still going on and thermostat said it was 23.5, now do I have a dodgy thermostat? There was no red lights on the thermostat saying that it was in operation like it usually does if heatingbor water is on, I had to turn boiler off and on to stop it and then to make sure I turned the radiator symbol off of boiler as was going to work anyway and didn't want the heating perm on. I tried the other night to factory reset the thermostat but looks like it's not stopped the problem. No probs with the downstairs basic digital thermostat. Any expert opinion please

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Sounds like the zone valve controlling that zone may be getting stuck in the on position.
Generally they are power open (supply from stat) spring close.
Not unheard off for the microswitch/valve to remain open. Sending switched live to boiler to come on.You should be able to check if it's open with the manual lever on the side of the valve.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Any resident heating engineers about to give advice. Moved into a newish build (4years old) have two heating zones a danfoss thermostat in lounge for down stairs and a danfoss tp9000 upstairs on wall by stairs for upstairs , all has been well since moving in last May, but for the third time is two weeks I have been woken up at 3 am sweating like a pig , the upstairs thermostat was set for 15 degrees yet it hadn't turned the heating off and boiler was was still going on and thermostat said it was 23.5, now do I have a dodgy thermostat? There was no red lights on the thermostat saying that it was in operation like it usually does if heatingbor water is on, I had to turn boiler off and on to stop it and then to make sure I turned the radiator symbol off of boiler as was going to work anyway and didn't want the heating perm on. I tried the other night to factory reset the thermostat but looks like it's not stopped the problem. No probs with the downstairs basic digital thermostat. Any expert opinion please

I'm not a heating engineer but just had exactly the same problem on my (also 4 years' old) system which I resolved last week. I have two hot water circuits - one for upstairs and one for downstairs. The motorised valve for the upstairs circuit had failed - so the micro switch in the actuator head stayed permanently on even if the central heating timer was "off" or the temperature was above the thermostat setting. I was going to change the actuator head only but ended up changing the whole motorised valve instead, as recommended by a mate who's a plumber. Had to drain the system down to do the job but it all works fine now. Your symptoms sound very similar. If the downstairs rads are off and only the upstairs rads are on then it sounds like you might have the same issue as me.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Had a chat with a few people on the development and seems to be a common problem some said it's the Honeywell water flow switch which is powered and in the airing cupboard both the motorised switches next to it are fine, you turn thermostat up on it clicks and the light come on one of the zone switches

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Probably because they can't afford to call a heating engineer?
No disrespect but the OP hasn't a clue by the look of it what's he's doing. I'm in a different line and still have people trying to fix a problem for days which I have solved in ten minutes, saving them time money and stress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here