Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lisbon Lion Tommy Gemmell passes away.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
_94903545_1361422.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39139454Celtic have paid tribute to Lisbon Lion Tommy Gemmell, who has died aged 73 following a long illness.

Former defender Gemmell scored in the 2-1 victory against Inter Milan in 1967 when Celtic became the first British club to win the European Cup.

"Our thoughts are with Mary and Tommy's family and friends at this very difficult time," Celtic said.

Club chief executive Peter Lawwell expressed sadness at the loss of "a true Celtic giant".

Gemmell also scored in the 1970 European Cup final, which Celtic lost 2-1 to Feyenoord. He spent 10 years at Celtic, between 1961 and 1971, making 418 appearances and scoring 63 goals.

Former defender Gemmell scored in the 2-1 victory against Inter Milan in 1967 when Celtic became the first British club to win the European Cup.

"Our thoughts are with Mary and Tommy's family and friends at this very difficult time," Celtic said.

Club chief executive Peter Lawwell expressed sadness at the loss of "a true Celtic giant".

Gemmell also scored in the 1970 European Cup final, which Celtic lost 2-1 to Feyenoord. He spent 10 years at Celtic, between 1961 and 1971, making 418 appearances and scoring 63 goals.

'Tommy was a Celtic great'

"Everyone at Celtic is deeply saddened by the loss of Tommy, a true Celtic giant and a man who gave the club so many years of his life in an illustrious football career," said Lawwell.

"Tommy was a Celtic great, one of football's greats and I know he will be so sadly missed by everyone who knew him.

"He was a man of huge stature in the game and someone who made such an important mark on Celtic Football Club."

Tommy Gemmell (left) and Billy McNeill hold aloft the European Cup
Gemmell (left) was part of the European Cup-winning Celtic side of 1967 that became known as the Lisbon Lions
Former Celtic player Murdo MacLeod said it was "very sad news" and described Gemmell as "one of the greats".

MacLeod, who also spent a spell as assistant boss at Celtic, told BBC Scotland: "I know he had been struggling over the last few months. Just really sad news.

"He's obviously been one of the greats at Celtic Park to be part of the European Cup-winning side.

"A top player, one of the first defenders getting forward all the time. [It's] just so sad. We heard Billy McNeill's news [about suffering from dementia] over the last few days and now this. It's just very sad."

Asked how Gemmell would be remembered, MacLeod said: "Scoring a goal in the European Cup final. To be part of that was just fantastic. The Celtic Lisbon Lions - anywhere they went over the years everybody knew who they were.

"And for Tommy Gemmell to score a goal in that European final was just wonderful."

RIP :bowdown:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP a true great .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That Celtic team was one of the truly great teams of all time, and Tommy Gemmell was the heart and soul of it. RIP Tommy.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I've heard it said that the whole Celtic team were born within 20 or 30 miles of Glasgow, I wonder how long ago a team could say something similar.
RIP Tommy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've heard it said that the whole Celtic team were born within 20 or 30 miles of Glasgow, I wonder how long ago a team could say something similar.
RIP Tommy.
It wasn't just said, it was true that they were all local lads.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Tommy

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It wasn't just said, it was true that they were all local lads.

10 were, one (Bobby Lennox) was born a massive 30 miles away.

That was a great team, it seemed impossible that a British team could beat an Italian one but they did it in some style.

RIP Tommy - it was a good goal that he scored too

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
10 were, one (Bobby Lennox) was born a massive 30 miles away.

That was a great team, it seemed impossible that a British team could beat an Italian one but they did it in some style.

RIP Tommy - it was a good goal that he scored too
30 miles away - yes, I was replying to the post 5 .............'20 or 30 miles away'. Thirty miles is pretty local anyway!

And yes, it was a cracker of a goal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here