Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia and Alice Springs.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Myself (and to ALL my FANS i will continue to post :thumbsup:) and her Indoors have booked Brisbane,now Byron Bay has been suggested worth a visit,however what is train travel like ? Brisbane to A/S ? A/S to Adelaide ?. Time is not really an issue for us so stop-offs are ok,but if so what is a good punt ? Thanks.:thumbsup:

Stumpy Tim

Myself (and to ALL my FANS i will continue to post :thumbsup:) and her Indoors have booked Brisbane,now Byron Bay has been suggested worth a visit,however what is train travel like ? Brisbane to A/S ? A/S to Adelaide ?. Time is not really an issue for us so stop-offs are ok,but if so what is a good punt ? Thanks.:thumbsup:

I would go to the Whitsunday Islands & Fraser Island ahead of Byron Bay, though Byron is worth a visit. I know people who have done the train down the coast and found it very dull... not sure about the train to Alice Springs. If you do get the train to AS, there won't be many stops as it's basically a desert

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Easier to go to Peacehaven. Same type of housing and people. On the plus side you have the South Downs behind you instead of scrub.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I would go to the Whitsunday Islands & Fraser Island ahead of Byron Bay, though Byron is worth a visit. I know people who have done the train down the coast and found it very dull... not sure about the train to Alice Springs. If you do get the train to AS, there won't be many stops as it's basically a desert

North of Brisbane and Cairns ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Byron Bay is for stoners.

Alice Springs is nothing exciting. It's an old country town full of tourists who are there before they see a large and uninspiring lump of rock (trust me, I climbed it one morning) and also a quite separate and poorly integrated indigenous community.

Cairns is a bit of a party town. Very humid but a good visit. It's the area as a whole that is of interest (the Great Barrier Reef/islands). It all depends what you are looking for.

Remember, everything is miles from everywhere.

Don't spend too long in the desert. After a few days it gets very boring and all there is to do is drink.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

Good advice, I love it in the Whitsunday Islands, Airlie Beach region and will be looking to retire there in a few years.
Melbourne is good for a city break, open 24 hrs and lots to do.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

You can't travel by train between Brisbane & Alice Springs as their isn't a railway line connecting the 2 cities and even if there was I wouldn't advise you to do it - you don't get to see anything that particularly interesting and it's very expensive. If you really wanted to reach Alice Springs by rail you could fly from Brisbane to Adelaide by air (very cheap) and take The Ghan. As mentioned before, this is expensive - cheapest twin cabin purchased in adavnce would be well over $1,100, circa GBP 700.
The Ghan though itself is meant to be a wonderful experience, as is The Indian Pacific ( Sydney to Perth ).

http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/trains/the-ghan

Gotta say though, the earlier alternatives put forward about chartering a boat around The Whitsundays seem much more appealing.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If you were set on going to AS i'd suggest flying to Adelaide then going by bus to Coober Pedy and spend a couple of days there checking out the Opal mining history etc (you can even stay in underground accomodation) and from there you can catch the bus to AS.

Breaks up the trip and you get to see the sights a bit better out a bus window.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Good advice, I love it in the Whitsunday Islands, Airlie Beach region and will be looking to retire there in a few years.
Melbourne is good for a city break, open 24 hrs and lots to do.

Lucky you. We took a 2 night boat trip from there around the Whitsundays and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Melbourne is also a fantastic city. If you do go there [MENTION=3651]Leekbrookgull[/MENTION] be sure to take the obligatory photo on Brighton beach.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you were set on going to AS i'd suggest flying to Adelaide then going by bus to Coober Pedy and spend a couple of days there checking out the Opal mining history etc (you can even stay in underground accomodation) and from there you can catch the bus to AS.

Breaks up the trip and you get to see the sights a bit better out a bus window.

I was once stuck in Coober Pedy for six days.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Byron in nice but it is full of backpackers, and the locals aren't too keen on tourists. Still worth visiting though but I wouldn't spend a massive amount of time there because it's quite small and you might run out of things to do. Also I don't think Byron has a train station. When I went you could book a train to Byron but the last bit of the journey is on an equivalent of a rail replacement bus.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Go visit Tasmania if you have spare days. Smaller state so easier to see more in less time. Has some quite beautiful places and scenery to check out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Byron in nice but it is full of backpackers, and the locals aren't too keen on tourists. Still worth visiting though but I wouldn't spend a massive amount of time there because it's quite small and you might run out of things to do. Also I don't think Byron has a train station. When I went you could book a train to Byron but the last bit of the journey is on an equivalent of a rail replacement bus.

It's got a train station, but the line's been closed for years. Used to be able to go all the way from Sydney to Byron Bay by train. There's talk of opening the line up again to reconnect the surrounding small towns and villages, which would be great. But for now, unless you've got a hire car, best bet is Greyhound coach, or you could fly into the localish Ballina airport and book a cab or shuttle bus into town. Similarly from the slightly further away (and much larger) Gold Coast airport.

Highly recommend paying a visit for the glorious beaches and sub-tropical rain forests around the lighthouse and the general 'new age' feel to the place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here