Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chichester A27 Upgrade Cancelled

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
BBC Sussex reporting this £250M scheme has been cancelled by Chris Grayling "due to lack of council support".

Seems Transport Sec wants to follow up on allowing the trains to go to pot by keeping Sussex's roads a nightmare.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
But the Arundel bypass goes ahead, which means that the traffic can get to the Chichester blockage much quicker thereby making it much worse. Bit of a joke really.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
A bit like East Sussex where the Brighton by-pass whizzes the traffic towards Lewes - where it hits the Ashcombe and Southerham roundabouts and then the single carriageway. No chance of that bottleneck being cleared any time this century.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Chichester Upgrade Now Terminated - Grayling"

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Basically running the UK's infrastructure into the ground in readiness to flog it off to Foreign bidders. And now we are leaving the EU there nobody to stop the Tory profiteers. Utterly scandalous. Criminal.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Same with the roundabout proposal at Sussex Pad, pointless.

Guess that may all change with the Ikea proposal but pointless at all. Thousands caught in jams every morning West to East because of those lights with 2 mile tailbacks. Get through those and there are no jams till Lewes, about 15 miles?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Oh joy. What absolutely terrific news.

The A27 is the recurring nightmare of my Albion-supporting existence - and the M27 is barely any better.

What the hell is up with that motorway that sections of it have to be closed, seemingly EVERY single bloody night? Last night's midnight detour took in Segensworth and Swaythling. Hamble and Sarisbury last week. Wickham and Fair Oak the week before.

Seriously, is the road made of ****ing CHEESE??

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
But the Arundel bypass goes ahead, which means that the traffic can get to the Chichester blockage much quicker thereby making it much worse. Bit of a joke really.

And that's only because The Duke Of Norfolk has had enough of his tweed suit stinking of exhaust fumes.
I drive around quite a lot, if there is one road in the country that desperately needs sorting out its the A27, absolute nightmare of a road, and, people of Sussex, your road tax is about to go up, I would refuse to pay it if I was you.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Me and the Mrs were down in Chichester yesterday, getting an idea for the place for when retirement looms.
Lovely place as always.
Never knew about the proposed and now cancelled A27 upgrade!
Witnessed traffic chaos en route to Amex around Arundel and Worthing.
Nothing to which can scare us off, as it's the same up here.
I'm sure the A27 will link all insundrie, as is the A21 eventually.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I saw this, this morning, but don't know the ins and outs of it. It seems protestors wanted a northern bypass?

In January Nick Herbert warned that opponents of the southern bypass upgrade who were lobbying for an unfeasible northern bypass risked losing A27 improvements altogether.

[tweet]836903259377926144[/tweet]

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
And that's only because The Duke Of Norfolk has had enough of his tweed suit stinking of exhaust fumes.
I drive around quite a lot, if there is one road in the country that desperately needs sorting out its the A27, absolute nightmare of a road, and, people of Sussex, your road tax is about to go up, I would refuse to pay it if I was you.

Is is an utter, utter disgrace. It's all part of a cunning master plan though, especially in East Sussex. Resist all attempts at upgrading the infrastructure (including BML 2), then when the Government says "we need to build more homes" the Sussex authorities say" Well you can't build them here, we haven't got the infrastructure, see?" This strategy as you say keeps the Duke of Norfolk and all the other Tory Ruralists happy.

boik

No such thing as "Road Tax"! ;-)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No such thing as "Road Tax"! ;-)

It does make you wonder what all that money is spent on.
When was the last motorway or dualled A road actually built.
You don't even see as many major road works like you use to and the surface of many major roads is appalling.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Guess that may all change with the Ikea proposal but pointless at all. Thousands caught in jams every morning West to East because of those lights with 2 mile tailbacks. Get through those and there are no jams till Lewes, about 15 miles?

It should help ease the Eastbound traffic in the morning, but the Westbound pile up in the evening is horrendous.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here