Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving and using hand held phones

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I see the scary government has today raised the penalty for using hand held phones and driving to £200 and 6 points. Is that really a serious deterrent?

I think it should be £1000, immediate 3 month ban and confiscation and destruction of the phone. Three hard hitting measures. People will still chance it, as they always do, but if it prevents one serious traffic accident resulting in death or maiming of innocent people then in my opinion it's worth it.

Does anyone else think the penalty is too lenient or have the government got it right?

Edit: Drivers who have passed the test less than 2 years before being caught will lose their licence automatically and have to retake their test.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I agree there should be a harsh penalty, but there's little chance of any of this being enforced with the police so underfunded.

I do, however, think it's absolutely mad that if you do the right thing and pull over into a layby you are still committing the same crime if your engine is running. Perhaps someone can explain the logic of this one to me?

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
I spoke to a policeman and he wasn't 100% sure of the new laws - so as long as your engine is off...no matter where you are its ok to use ie in traffic jam, waiting at level crossing etc? if you in an automatic - in park mode with hand brake on...still a crime?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think it should be £1000, immediate 3 month ban and confiscation and destruction of the phone. Three hard hitting measures. People will still chance it, as they always do, but if it prevents one serious traffic accident resulting in death or maiming of innocent people then in my opinion it's worth it

This totally.
But how many times have you been on the road and notice the twats are driving with phone in hand.
These gimps never get caught, the moment you (generic) do it, well enough said :censored:

Last edited:

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I do, however, think it's absolutely mad that if you do the right thing and pull over into a layby you are still committing the same crime if your engine is running. Perhaps someone can explain the logic of this one to me?

Do the police actually prosecute in these circumstances? They would have to be physically standing next to the car whilst you are on the phone with your engine running. A lot of new cars' engines turn off when stationary anyway

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Handsfree should fall into the same category. A heated work or personal call can mean that concentration upon the driving in hand is severely reduced.

Lets also have heavy fines and punishment for talking to passengers, sneezing, blinking, looking at hot girls on pavements etc.

Sod it lets just ban driving all together.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Agree it should be illegal and offenders punished but as others have said stuck in traffic jam or pulled over in lay by should be ok. So surely best to say Illegal in moving vehicle ???

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Going to away games on the coach, means you sit level with lorry drivers, on the motorways. I've seen truck drivers with a newspaper spread over their steering wheel, charging down the lane at 65 mph. I wish the overhead cameras would pick these out as well.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think £200 & 6 points is about right, but let us see it enforced! IMHO driving whilst on the phone is worse than 'normal' speeding and far more likely to lead to an accident.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or if you have a couple too many beers at the pub and decide to walk home, but first you get your scarf out of the car - you're guilty of drink driving.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Or if you have a couple too many beers at the pub and decide to walk home, but first you get your scarf out of the car - you're guilty of drink driving.

In that scenario you'd be guilty of Drunk in Charge of a Motor Vehicle as there's no driving element.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Genuine question.....is there a similar law for people on push bikes? If so does that cover walkie talkies as well

Not trying to start an argument just genuinely interested as it seems to be common place in London especially couriers to riding along on their communication device.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I agree there should be a harsh penalty, but there's little chance of any of this being enforced with the police so underfunded.

I got done for this over here about 3 years ago.
My phone rang and I pulled into a car park.
I stopped my van, put it into neutral and put the handbrake on before taking the call.
Low and behold the Sweeney pulled up along side me and charged me with this offense, because my engine was still running, 'king bullshit.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I got done for this over here about 3 years ago.
My phone rang and I pulled into a car park.
I stopped my van, put it into neutral and put the handbrake on before taking the call.
Low and behold the Sweeney pulled up along side me and charged me with this offense, because my engine was still running, 'king bullshit.

Thought I'd read it on here before. Seems absolutely mad. You're basically being charged for wanting to keep yourself warm!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Handsfree should fall into the same category. A heated work or personal call can mean that concentration upon the driving in hand is severely reduced.

only if your going to punishing talking the car too. of course, driving without due care is an offense its self and should cover such edge cases.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here