Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A special mention for Robert Madley

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's a shame that the disappointing result has overshadowed that pathetic refereeing performance. I'm starting to wonder what it is about these premier league refs that makes them so special.

The lack of consistently was particularly clear. It was particularly frustrating when he made us take a free kick from an offside six inches from where the ball was placed, yet was happy for Newcastle to take a free kick from a different half of the pitch to where a foul was committed!

Just to add, I do not blame him for the result, before I am accused of sour grapes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought he got the big decisions right.

It was refreshing to see that penalty given, despite the absolute gimps in the Sky studio saying it was soft. It was a FOUL. The defender had his arms all over Murray and just because most refs don't have the stones to blow for those, doesn't meant they shouldn't be given.

Equally, the decision to book the defender when Baldock went through - that was correct too. In fact, I don't think he did badly at all.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Got to agree with you.. I was complimentary about Saturday's refereeing performance, but thought this was back to the Roger East type game. No decision cost us anything, but I agree he seemed inconsistent, and wasn't helped by the linesman on the East side..

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Agree re the penalty [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]. Weirdly I called it at the time and everyone else in the ground seemed surprised, whilst I was already on my feet!

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
he was OK - not brilliant but not awful. We're going to have to get used to PL referees in any case

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He was fine last night, if anything he was leaning towards Brighton.

Murray could/should have been booked for diving in the second and half, and that Pen was pretty soft, if they start being given there will be 4/5 every week.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Got to agree with you.. I was complimentary about Saturday's refereeing performance, but thought this was back to the Roger East type game. No decision cost us anything, but I agree he seemed inconsistent, and wasn't helped by the linesman on the East side..

The east side linesman got two blatant goal kick decisions wrong, when they should have been corners to us. The first one in the first two minutes.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Murray could/should have been booked for diving in the second and half, and that Pen was pretty soft, if they start being given there will be 4/5 every week.

We've had them given against us, ie. Dunk at Burnley away last season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree re the penalty [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]. Weirdly I called it at the time and everyone else in the ground seemed surprised, whilst I was already on my feet!

That's because the rest of the ground was watching the ball sail harmlessly beyond the far post! :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Spot on with regards to Murray's penalty box dive. I can't stand that sort of thing. As for the pen that was given, as far as I'm concerned there SHOULD be 4/5 given every week. It was a FOUL.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We were n't very good at 'managing' the ref, in the first half post the penalty there were a lot of calls for fouls made by Newcastle players which were n't or were marginal but they got them. Thought the player who tugged back Baldock should have been off, but have not seen the replay. The player who blocked the throw should have been booked he stopped the progress of the game by fouling.

So had they been on 10 men for 60 minutes it might have been different.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Thought he should have booked the Newcastle player who prevented the quick throw.

There's no 'should have' about that one - that was an appalling decision. Colback couldn't believe his luck.

The east side linesman got two blatant goal kick decisions wrong, when they should have been corners to us. The first one in the first two minutes.

To be honest that early one clearly went out off the defender, but only because Knockaert fouled him. Should have been a free kick to them. If not, then a corner. Certainly wasn't a goal kick.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Spot on with regards to Murray's penalty box dive. I can't stand that sort of thing. As for the pen that was given, as far as I'm concerned there SHOULD be 4/5 given every week. It was a FOUL.

As long as it is consistent within a game I don't mind. Other refs would have booked Murray which would also have been fine provided all such dives in the match are carded. I don't expect consistency between different
refs though because they are human and have to make judgement calls.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was puzzled by the Baldock decision. He looked clear through, although now we've lost Sky, I've not been able to see a replay.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here