Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When oh when will we learn?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
If we try and play a slow build up game passing the ball across our back line against fast thinking pressing teams, we are going to get shut down and lose the ball. We saw this again last night. When we are playing in the Premier league next season, we will get ripped to shreds unless we learn quickly. We are quite capable of playing a fast tempo game. Last night Newcastle showed us how it is done once they settled. Yes, just like the Curate's egg we were good in parts, but we have to do what we are good at for mare than 27 minutes. I'm looking forward to Saturday when we have a chance to put things right. Onwards and upwards.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we try and play a slow build up game passing the ball across our back line against fast thinking pressing teams, we are going to get shut down and lose the ball. We saw this again last night. When we are playing in the Premier league next season, we will get ripped to shreds unless we learn quickly. We are quite capable of playing a fast tempo game. Last night Newcastle showed us how it is done once they settled. Yes, just like the Curate's egg we were good in parts, but we have to do what we are good at for mare than 27 minutes. I'm looking forward to Saturday when we have a chance to put things right. Onwards and upwards.

Football isn't that simple. You cannot play a fast tempo game for 90mins. Newcastle couldn't either. I thought we mixed it up fairly well. There has to be a point where the back four can give those in front a breather, allow them to get back into position, keep your shape 'managing the game' as Hughton would put it. I honestly thought from about 65mins Newcastle looked leggy and we got some control. The fluke equaliser came against the run of play for me. We also played some really quick first touch stuff.

This was no Huddersfield away. We played well last night, take that into the next week and we should be okay.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Watching a different game to me. There are passages particularly when you are in lead when it is good to keep possession and quite the opposite down. You rarely control games for 90 minutes particularly against this quality opposition. TBH, I thought that we played much higher tempo in most attacks than Newcastle

if anything we were guilty of poor touches and wrong decision making having got the ball swiftly to their penalty area. Murray's first touch was missing on Several occasions and AK made wrong choices also, particularly when Tomori was free on edge of pen area. Fine margins, this game could have gone any way. In the end bad luck and a great move caused their two goals.

Prem is Prem. if we get there, many different personnel.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think it was more about game management, as it times we had been under pressure from Newcastle and not really got out of our half, so a period of playing the ball across the back until better able to move forward is designed to give everyone a breather and take the sting out of Newcastle and to regroup without conceding.

Yes we need to learn when being pressed but I fully expect us to play a different formation next season if we are promoted with more protection in mid field

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
n the game I watched we were like rabbits in headlights for most of the second half. We gave th ball away constantly, often near our own penalty area. We tried to gift them two goals before the fluky equaliser. From that point on we were even worse. We controlled the game for the first 20 minutes or so,competed till half time and then completely lost it. The second half was men against scared little boys.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
n the game I watched we were like rabbits in headlights for most of the second half. We gave th ball away constantly, often near our own penalty area. We tried to gift them two goals before the fluky equaliser. From that point on we were even worse. We controlled the game for the first 20 minutes or so,competed till half time and then completely lost it. The second half was men against scared little boys.

You watched a different game to me. Agree that we bossed the first 15 mins or so, but Newcastle's best spell for the entire game was for the final 25mins of the first half. There wasn't an onslaught 2nd half, and we created some good chances early on and from about 60mins started to get more of a grip on the game with threatening counter attacks. Murphy coming on 74mins changed the game for them, we'd looked comfortable for the preceding 15mins. The stats bare this out. For your 'men v boys' we had 46% possession to their 54%, 6 shots on target to their 8, 72% pass completion to their 77%, we were in the attacking 3rd 54% to their 57%. These are representative of us taking an early lead and being pressed. We made some errors, but these weren't endemic of our overall play, they didn't help, but given every pass needed to be precise, it was indicative of how good the two teams were.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
You watched a different game to me. Agree that we bossed the first 15 mins or so, but Newcastle's best spell for the entire game was for the final 25mins of the first half. There wasn't an onslaught 2nd half, and we created some good chances early on and from about 60mins started to get more of a grip on the game with threatening counter attacks. Murphy coming on 74mins changed the game for them, we'd looked comfortable for the preceding 15mins. The stats bare this out. For your 'men v boys' we had 46% possession to their 54%, 6 shots on target to their 8, 72% pass completion to their 77%, we were in the attacking 3rd 54% to their 57%. These are representative of us taking an early lead and being pressed. We made some errors, but these weren't endemic of our overall play, they didn't help, but given every pass needed to be precise, it was indicative of how good the two teams were.

I don't bother looking at stats. If a team only has 10% of the game but scores 1 goal more than the team who has 90%, is where it is at for me. The business with slowing the game down at the back to give the forward line a breather is very good if you don't get shut down , get one's options squeezed and then get forced into silly errors. We saw this last night and also against Ipswich. I'm looking forward to Saturday when the team will hopefully put things right. Six more wins and a pair of draws will do for me should we need 90 points to go up

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't bother looking at stats. If a team only has 10% of the game but scores 1 goal more than the team who has 90%, is where it is at for me. The business with slowing the game down at the back to give the forward line a breather is very good if you don't get shut down , get one's options squeezed and then get forced into silly errors. We saw this last night and also against Ipswich. I'm looking forward to Saturday when the team will hopefully put things right. Six more wins and a pair of draws will do for me should we need 90 points to go up

The stats was aimed at someone suggesting a very different game to how I saw it. Perhaps even you'd concede, it was far from men against boys?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Six more wins and a pair of draws will do for me should we need 90 points to go up
I think 92pts is the magic number this year.

Could be 1 or 2 points more - could be 1 or 2 less - but 92pts is where it's at for me...

6 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats from our remaining 12 matches is one formula.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Masters against Pupils maybe

There is always a tendency to view your own team with a more critical eye. It's incredibly hard to judge a game objectively as a fan (hence forums!). I probably always see it the other way in that I might see more in my own team's performance than perhaps was evident. That said, having heard from plenty of neutrals today, and read a few reports, I think it was far from men against boys or masters against pupils.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The Newcastle fans we were talking in the pub tended to agree with the 'Masters v Pupils' concept.

But, for them, Brighton were the masters. They were especially terrified (in a footballing sense of course) of Sam Baldock.

All about perspective, innit.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The stats was aimed at someone suggesting a very different game to how I saw it. Perhaps even you'd concede, it was far from men against boys?

I said the second half was men against boys. I said we bossed the first 20 minutes and competed well till half time. Your stats, for what they're worth, cover the entire 95 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here