Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much blame are you putting on Stockdale for their first goal?

How much blame are you putting on Stockdale for their first goal?

• All the blame - it wasn't a freak goal

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Most of the blame - he was in no mans land

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • A little of the blame - but he was unlucky

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • It's a freak goal

Votes: 91 77.1%

• Total voters

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Does there even need a poll for this? Anyone with a pair of eyes could see it was the flukiest goal ever scored at the Amex! There was nothing Stockdale could have realisticaly done to prevent it!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Possibly could have done better but I'll let him off this and that other **** up given all the other great work he did.

Claretnblue

Apr 29, 2016
I really wanna c u in the premier league nxt yr ... if we survive . It's a team game . Stockdale had NO chance

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A Newcastle player completely mishits a shot, it cannons into another Newcastle player who has no idea what is going on, and it balloons over everyone into the net. Yeah, clearly Stockdales fault :facepalm:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Does there even need a poll for this? Anyone with a pair of eyes could see it was the flukiest goal ever scored at the Amex! There was nothing Stockdale could have realisticaly done to prevent it!

Weird thread. No blame at all. What a ridiculous thing to suggest.

I've seen it in other threads tonight, people blaming stockdale. I know I shouldn't feed the animals but I'd like those to argue the case.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Came from a corner that could've been avoided. He put it out for the corner when he could've left it to go wide or hold on to it.

Came to punch clear but isn't loud enough when he claims it, another example happened earlier when Dunk ended up having to clear.

It was flukey and a couple of others also at fault so I'd go with some.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I played in goal for many seasons and also had trials with Brighton and Southampton as a youth.
We were always taught that if you were struggling to get a ball or can only get one hand to it then punch or palm it away, but every time that you can get two hands to the ball then take it out of play then it's a dead ball.
Not saying that this would have made any difference last night, but it might have.
I'm really not a fan of continuously punching the ball away.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Poor punch and slow to regain position in goal.
Still a freak goal with 2 deflections.

I think he came for the punch because Murphy had got a free header from a corner minutes before. I liked his decisiveness there. Just unfortunate Murray marked the same spot.

Freak goal. Hurts bad but they have to leave the disappointment of this game behind them as soon as possible

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Murray was also involved .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That pass to set up Gouffran however, was very annoying. He tried to do the same a while earlier, where he passed a yard to the side of their forward, and I complained then too. Why the **** are we risking little passes like that? It probably makes us all more nervous and leads to added pressure.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Under the pressure of a few players it was a decent enough punch. We were slow to close the shot down, but that shot was going to go off probably outside the 18 yard box. The deflection loops up and dips down into the very top corner. No one is saving that, not in a month of Sundays. Stockdale was where he should have been when the original Newcastle player lined up his shot - in the centre of the goal. Honestly people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here