Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop Protection

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This has probably been on here previously but the search on NSC doesnt seem to work very well.

Had a problem so DR EX had to format the hard drive on my laptop and re install windows. What free protection should I install I tried to install Microsoft Essential but a message came up it is not needed in Windows 10. Is there built in protection with windows 10 that is sufficient .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This has probably been on here previously but the search on NSC doesnt seem to work very well.

Had a problem so DR EX had to format the hard drive on my laptop and re install windows. What free protection should I install I tried to install Microsoft Essential but a message came up it is not needed in Windows 10. Is there built in protection with windows 10 that is sufficient .

Mrs BG locking it in a cupboard would probably be best ?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Is that sufficient to protect it from viruses or do I need install anything else?

Nothing is 100%, its not bad though.. I think there have been many threads on her as to which Anti Virus to use. It is always a matter of personal preference. If you are unsure, just run malwarebytes once in a while.. This tends to find anything other AVs miss.. You can download from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

You dont need to buy, just click download

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Is that sufficient to protect it from viruses or do I need install anything else?

Nothing (even paid for anti virus) is 100% foolproof.

Just make sure you back up all your personal files in the cloud or another external hard drive in case you catch a virus or your hard drive fails, generally Windows Defender is sufficient as long as you 'safe surf'. What did Dr Ex recommend you do, assuming you asked them?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's all you need, other than common sense and a huge dose of scepticism. I say that because the biggest threats are fishing emails etc - emails that want you to open dodgy links or attachments. You need to expect it all to be crap after your money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here