Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cost of installing outside electrical switch

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
sorry after a bit of advice.

My mum who lives is Hove is disabled and one off my jobs (not at this time of year) when I visit her is to mow her back garden. I am normally happy to do this but i'm a bit injured myself. A kind local chap has offered to do it for her until I am better. The problem is he would just want to pop round and do when he can and my mum does not want to have to wait in. My idea is to have an outside power socket fitted so he can get on with it without her being at home. It would also be useful for me once knee is better.

So has anyone had one of these fitted and know how much approximately it costs to get a qualified electrician to fit them? Also if you have any recommendations for electrician local to hove that would be helpful.

Thanks

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
sorry after a bit of advice.

My mum who lives is Hove is disabled and one off my jobs (not at this time of year) when I visit her is to mow her back garden. I am normally happy to do this but i'm a bit injured myself. A kind local chap has offered to do it for her until I am better. The problem is he would just want to pop round and do when he can and my mum does not want to have to wait in. My idea is to have an outside power socket fitted so he can get on with it without her being at home. It would also be useful for me once knee is better.

So has anyone had one of these fitted and know how much approximately it costs to get a qualified electrician to fit them? Also if you have any recommendations for electrician local to hove that would be helpful.

Thanks

In Hove she might just about get away with it.

If she was in Wigan all the locals would probably do moonlight connections wiring up to her to her electricity output and she would end up paying the electricity bills for half of Wigan

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Decide what IP rated socket you want, different ratings for different degrees of weatherproofing.
Then around £60 to instal it.
That's what I'd charge anyway

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
In Hove she might just about get away with it.

If she was in Wigan all the locals would probably do moonlight connections wiring up to her to her electricity output and she would end up paying the electricity bills for half of Wigan

It will be in a kind of conservatory area, I can't say it will never leak hence the need for outside socket but it can be locked. she does not mind to leave that open for the fella to mow the grass. but I do get your point:thumbsup:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It will be in a kind of conservatory area, I can't say it will never leak hence the need for outside socket but it can be locked. she does not mind to leave that open for the fella to mow the grass. but I do get your point:thumbsup:
If it's in the conservatory is there any more points in there?
If so, can just extend the ring.
If not, then you could be looking at chasing out walls and all that to get a spur.
It may be easier to fit an outside socket on the exterior wall getting the powers from a socket on the inside wall

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If it's in the conservatory is there any more points in there?
If so, can just extend the ring.
If not, then you could be looking at chasing out walls and all that to get a spur.
It may be easier to fit an outside socket on the exterior wall getting the powers from a socket on the inside wall

My brother built it it so she had a waterproof area over her patio, it not a purpose built conservatory with existing power. If you pretend it not there it's just fitting it to the outside wall.

Last edited:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
IP 55 rating will do (waterproof with lid closed when not in use) Should be connected via a fused spur to avoid blowing the electrics in the house if there's ever any problems.

I heard about the so it's not something I would not comprehend trying do my self. I am after a certified electrician who knows what they doing, I would not want to risk anybody's safety.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I am qualified.
Just trying to ascertain the situation

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I am qualified.
Just trying to ascertain the situation

Oh OK. just think of it fitting it to an outside wall no covering etc. Some day it might get taken down so could be exposed. The fuse box is at the front of the house the switch needs to be at the back. double socket would be good but not essential. It is a housing association house, so I asked her to check that it is OK to do it with them before doing anything.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Oh OK. just think of it fitting it to an outside wall no covering etc. Some day it might get taken down so could be exposed. The fuse box is at the front of the house the switch needs to be at the back. double socket would be good but not essential. It is a housing association house, so I asked her to check that it is OK to do it with them before doing anything.
Definitely need an IP rated socket. (Check screwfix for a rough idea price wise)
The outside wall which it's going on, check the inside of that wall for another socket where the power can be pinched from.
I'm assuming the board has an rcd ?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I could not say without visiting if it has an RCD on the board. I don't think the fuse box it that old and the housing trust sent for it to be checked late last year. Not just my mums house but all on the estate. I do not think there are any indoor switches directly on the back wall. The closest I can think of is two on the side walls close to the back wall in the kitchen. That's the one I normally run the extension lead from when doing the garden.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Coincidentally I had an MK outside socket fitted to my front and back walls a couple of weeks ago. Can't tell you how much it cost as the electricians carried out a few other jobs in the total price I paid.
The electricians were Pavilion Electrical and John the owner is an Albion ST holder.
For a phone number or email address you can see their advert on the Brighton and Hove page at www.footballcities.co.uk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here