Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens Yellow Card

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Because the ref played an advantage after Dales tackle and he was not booked for a good few minutes, what would have happened if he had commited a second bookable offence before he got the first yellow card shown to him.

Could there be an arguement that he may not have commited the second offence if he knew he was on a yellow already.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Similar to if there are handbags, if a player pushes 2 players the likelihood is 1 yellow or 1 straight red depending on where he pushes them. You never see players given 2 yellows for the same scrap

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He'd be sent off. However, for the second incident the ref would have to stop the game and cannot play and advantage. That's my understanding. A player though would be aware he is under threat of a yellow once play stops so would be stupid to commit another offence.

Aug 23, 2011
Because the ref played an advantage after Dales tackle and he was not booked for a good few minutes, what would have happened if he had commited a second bookable offence before he got the first yellow card shown to him.

Could there be an arguement that he may not have commited the second offence if he knew he was on a yellow already.

I believe the ref had already had a word with him and told him he was going to be booked when play stopped

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Pretty sure player would simply receive 2 yellows at the same time and then be sent off.. Wasn't there a case of this recently in the Premier League??

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I believe the ref had already had a word with him and told him he was going to be booked when play stopped

Yep, definitely saw the ref have a quick word with Stephens as play was going on. Right call by the ref re the foul, the advantage and the booking.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'm guessing if he was due a red then play would have to be stopped straight away. If, prior to the card being shown, he made a crucial goal line clearance (like Duffy) there would be much consternation.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Yep, definitely saw the ref have a quick word with Stephens as play was going on. Right call by the ref re the foul, the advantage and the booking.
Actually, having been disparaging of referee performances of late, I should acknowledge that I thought the referee was pretty decent on Saturday.. I appreciate its always easier to be complimentary when we have won, but don't remember him getting too much wrong..

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Actually, having been disparaging of referee performances of late, I should acknowledge that I thought the referee was pretty decent on Saturday.. I appreciate its always easier to be complimentary when we have won, but don't remember him getting too much wrong..
Especially not sending Sidwell off for clattering Kermitc#nt in the back of the head.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Until you have received the caution, you haven’t been cautioned imo.

The yellow is a warning, don’t do it again. You are more likely to do it again if you haven’t been told not to do it again. If Stephens had committed a second bookable challenge then I think it would be wrong to give him two yellows?

The only way is if the ref had verbally told Stephens he was effectively cautioned, but what if Stephens didn’t hear the ref?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I remember this happening not that long ago - Norn Iron's Chris Baird.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Very unlikely to happen but an excellent football 'teaser' - I salute you :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I remember this happening not that long ago - Norn Iron's Chris Baird.

That's ****ing unbelievable - proper Mike Dean work that. Watch the ref when the first 'foul' is committed - he 100% is not looking at it and doesn't see it - he sees the fella fall in the floor but most def doesn't see the contact. He doesn't consult anyone. He has GUESSED what happened and GUESSED the severity of it. Ludicrous.

I agree with [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION] - common sense is the most important law of football and this particular unlikely event is a great example of that. If the player doesn't know he's on one yellow it's simply not fair.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Could the same happen if the first foul was a red and played on or does the game have to stop? Can you get two reds???

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The ref clearly spoke to Stephens whilst play was going on, no doubt to tell him he was going to be given a yellow card when there was a break in play.

If he committed another cautionable offence in the meantime, it would be two yellows and off.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Could the same happen if the first foul was a red and played on or does the game have to stop? Can you get two reds???

Seem to remember a handball on the line in a game a while back. Player following up put it in the net before the ref blew up.
Decision: no goal as advantage couldn't be played after a red card offence. Penalty was missed if I recall correctly (otherwise I suspect I wouldn't have remembered it).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here