Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1983/84

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Hi there,

Just to let you know that the Newcastle United edition of Seagull will be focusing on the 1983/84 season when Albion found themselves back in the second tier following four years in the old First Division and a matter of months after an FA Cup Final.

We only finished ninth that season but I remember it as being a hell of an eventful campaign - the sacking of Jimmy Melia, the installing of Chris Cattlin as manager, the 7-0 mauling of Charlton, the memorable 2-0 FA Cup dismissal of Liverpool at the Goldstone, our unbeaten post-Christmas form at home which saw us go unbeaten at home for the remainder of the season.

Alan Young, the Scottish bull of a centre-forward who only played for us that season before being eased out by Cattlin, shares his recollections in our question and answer section. To say he was both entertaining and forthright is an understatement. Unfortunately I had to leave much of it on the cutting room floor - in terms of length restrictions and let's just say his extreme views on the manager responsible for ending his Goldstone spell - but I think you'll get the gist.

Just to recap, to mark the impending 20th anniversary of the Goldstone's demise we are remembering stand-out seasons from our time at the old place in each edition of the programme throughout this season.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the retro pieces in Seagull.

All the best,
Spencer Vignes
Albion fan, sports writer & author
[MENTION=23620]Spencer[/MENTION]Vignes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here