Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NOW TV - Comparison

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Anyone use this?

I pay £114 per moth for the full package on Virgin.

Is it a lot cheaper on Now TV? Do you / can you get same channels etc?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There's different pricing levels depending on resolution and number of devices I think - can't fully remember - but I pay £8 per month for the entertainment pack - which means I get the sky atlantic stuff like Game of Thrones. The sport pack I think is the same price, as is a movie pack.

Anyhow, main point is that it is a heck of a lot cheaper than £114 per month.

There's different pricing levels depending on resolution and number of devices I think - can't fully remember - but I pay £8 per month for the entertainment pack - which means I get the sky atlantic stuff like Game of Thrones. The sport pack I think is the same price, as is a movie pack.

Really?

I'd happily pay more for HD or 4K. I've not seen this option. Has it just started?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Really?

I'd happily pay more for HD or 4K. I've not seen this option. Has it just started?
Not sure, but I remember selecting some options on sign up, but I wasn't really paying too much attention and can't fully recall. Maybe they no longer give the same options ? ??? :shrug:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

There limit the amount of devices (possibly 3) but there is no pricing on resolution.

For me it's a no brainer since I have little interest in Sky Sports beyond BHA.

I haven't got a Sky Branded box, but a more expensive Roku 3 with NowTV installed.

I pay for the games as a one off, but as we getting to end of the season (and we are where we are) I go monthly. When the season is over, I won't pay for Sky Sports again until next season.

Works for me. Couldn't make it down yesterday. I'm a season ticket holder but the with slog down from London all the time I sometimes take a break.

.. won't be using it Tuesday though :)

I had Sky Sports years ago, but found myself either not watching it or rather be in the pub with a crowd.

If we go up to the promised land I will stay the same. If you have Sky Sports for YOUR team, buy a NowTV box and pay when they are on.

Wish BT did the same, possibly they will.

One of the reasons I went for the unbranded (and non subsided) Roku was that it's less likely Sky will lock it down and not allow competitor apps from rival broadcasters. My box has Amazon prime for instance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had a fall on the A27 underpass on Saturday on the way to the game. thanks to those people that tended to me and helped pick me up. Unfortunately it has left me in great pain and unable to walk so will miss the game but not having sky I see that I can get a day pass and watch Sky Sports and the game.

Do I just enrol with Now TV or do I have to download anything to my laptop so that I can watch it on the TV through HDMI cable. Any sensible help would be appreciated

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I had a fall on the A27 underpass on Saturday on the way to the game. thanks to those people that tended to me and helped pick me up. Unfortunately it has left me in great pain and unable to walk so will miss the game but not having sky I see that I can get a day pass and watch Sky Sports and the game.

Do I just enrol with Now TV or do I have to download anything to my laptop so that I can watch it on the TV through HDMI cable. Any sensible help would be appreciated

No, nothing to download. Just set up an account with Now TV and when you are ready just log on and you watch it in your browser. You can buy a pass at anytime but once you activate it (manually), the 24 hour clock starts

It doesn't like the Chrome Browser, but it works ok through Internet Explorer.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Sorry to hear that BG. Get well soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No, nothing to download. Just set up an account with Now TV and when you are ready just log on and you watch it in your browser. You can buy a pass at anytime but once you activate it (manually), the 24 hour clock starts

so I could do this for a day tomorrow quite easily and it happens virtually instantaneous or do I need to do it today on a week pass which I dont really need just for the game tomorrow..

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
so I could do this for a day tomorrow quite easily and it happens virtually instantaneous or do I need to do it today on a week pass which I dont really need just for the game tomorrow..
Don't forget that a month's pass will include the Derby and Leeds games as well.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I already said you can buy a pass at anytime and activate when you want. You can do it now or 2 minutes before the game, as soon as you have paid it's there ready to use.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I already said you can buy a pass at anytime and activate when you want. You can do it now or 2 minutes before the game, as soon as you have paid it's there ready to use.

Sorry didnt know whether like some broad bands it takes an hour to activate or whatever. Dont need a month as I should be able to get to the beam back for Forest and all other games. Tried it just now and it came up Now TV not responding that was on microsoft edge.

Last edited:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Might have to download Silverlight, I don't know if that comes with IE as I don't use IE. A fair few times I've been caught out by this one, trying vainly to get the match to start because I was missing the little warning bar in Firefox advising me I had to allow Silverlight.

The sport pack I think is the same price
I wish :) Four times as expensive.

Another one with the Roku stick as well, cost £30 and has Now TV, Netflix and Amazon Video (should anything worth watching be on that :) ), highly recommend.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Much better option is an IPTV line via Amazon Firestick/TV/SmartTV imo........more channel options at a much cheaper cost than Sky/Virgin!!

I can hook up the lines so PM me if want more info.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
720p is max resolution for NOW TV

Might be the case with the older NOW TV boxes, but the new Smart Box will do 1080 as well. I know because I recently switched from BT to NOW TV and the box asks which you want during setup.

Word of caution: my experience, if you go with the Combo (Phone, Broadband, TV), their customer support setup is flaky. They're trying to go with an online-only, peer-to-peer primarily (ala giffgaff) approach and it's not working very well ... primarily because they've completely failed to build an active, knowledgeable, and large enough base of members using their community forum to handle the peer-to-peer side. The NOW TV app on my NOW TV branded box using NOW TV Broadband stopped accepting my login details (and therefore refused to let me access any NOW TV content) for over a week. The solution was very simple in the end, but it took ages to sort out (including them sending me a second box only for that to have the same issue). When you actually contact their support team via the ticket system or live chat, their TV team will refuse to talk to you because you're a Combo customer - even though the issue I had was specific to the TV part of my Combo.

Fair do's to them, they did eventually sort it out. But during my time scouring their community trying to resolve it myself, I saw plenty of other indications that their support system aren't up to scratch. You very definitely get what you pay for on the support side: you're giving them less money, and you get less support.

On the plus side, you can get it all with no contract. Try it out, if it's not good for you you can ditch and go to someone else the next month and get "new customer" discounts when you do.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here