Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham airport.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just a thought can Shoreham Airport accomodate charter fights of 25 - 30 seater planes. I was thinking of whether the club could fly from there to away games. I remember years ago they flew flights to then Channel Islands.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yep. I believe so. I had a chat with someone there not long ago, there could certainly be advantages with player signing etc. too in the prem (if we get there).

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm sure there was a thread many moons ago where someone posed this question to the club ahead of an away fixture at Newcastle (last season maybe?) I think it was Tony who explained the costs involved making such an endeavour a non-starter. Someone may be able to find a link to that thread, but ultimately, it is very expensive and wouldn't return a profit or break even to be honest.

I've never known the Albion to play against teams from the Channel Islands.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
More choice for charter flights at Southampton & Gatwick which is why we usually fly from there

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who'll be the first signing worthy of flying into Gatwick, then helicoptered down to Shoreham?

Certainly reduces the chance in getting diverted to East Anglia.
Not that anyone would after a stadium then training ground flyby.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sure there was a thread many moons ago where someone posed this question to the club ahead of an away fixture at Newcastle (last season maybe?) I think it was Tony who explained the costs involved making such an endeavour a non-starter. Someone may be able to find a link to that thread, but ultimately, it is very expensive and wouldn't return a profit or break even to be honest.

I've never known the Albion to play against teams from the Channel Islands.

I wasnt suggesting we played in the Channel Islands but holiday fights from there as my mother in law used to use them another possibility could of course be Biggin Hill where many charters fly from.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

your probably right they dont do it for costs, but the purpose of flying is to maximise preperation time i.e an extra session on the training ground vs time stuck on a coach. then again if recovering from a game, maybe better to travel by coach and get to early. different managers and clubs probably weigh up many factors for away matches.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
With the report from the airshow crash finally to be published this Friday, I had assumed this was what the thread would be about. The last service attempted from Shoreham was to Paris and I think from memory this was a 12 seater. I suspect that the runway isn't big enough for a thirty seater.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The SAAB 340 carries 37 passengers and needs a runway of 4220ft. Shoreham is 3399ft.

Jetstream 41 carries 29 passengers and needs 4220ft as well.

So no.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We used to fly to Le Touquet from Shoreham when there was a small airline operating from there, they closed down quite a time ago, but there was another one more recently who offered scheduled flights including to Paris. Security was novel there, you wandered from the bar over to the archway scanner thing about 10 minutes before takeoff, strolled out of the door to the waiting aircraft.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The SAAB 340 carries 37 passengers and needs a runway of 4220ft. Shoreham is 3399ft.

Jetstream 41 carries 29 passengers and needs 4220ft as well.

So no.

What was the plane that used to fly to either Jersey or Guernsey not sure which it was? that must have been 25 seater plus to make it viable I would have thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What was the plane that used to fly to either Jersey or Guernsey not sure which it was? that must have been 25 seater plus to make it viable I would have thought.

Who do you suggest stands up for the flight?

As a holder of a PPL I can comment on this.

Big issue with Shoreham is there is no ILS (instrument landing system) which means as soon as there is a bit of low cloud it makes an approach near on impossible. The only instruments at shoreham are an (NDB) non direction beacon and DME (distance measuring equipment.

NDB's are tricky to rely upon and their accuracy is even more questionable near a coast line.

The approach to shoreham is typically (in a south or south westerly wind) is from the north. Visually this is easy as you simply do a left at the top of Truliegh Hill and have your final approach pretty much along the river.

In crap visibility tho you could find yourself smashing into the downs or taking out Lancing college.

I've also thought about the viability of a charter service from Shoreham and the maths works. Something like an ATR72 with 70 odd seats (turbo prop) would be cheap enough to charter and would still make Newcastle in 2 hours.

Assuming 2/3 full a ticket price of about £100 would break even.

But. You still need to be able to virtually guarantee a landing. Diversions to alternates like SOT or LGW would be very expense and make it a non starter

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

18 seats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Trislander

Visual references when on 20 LH are to aim for the A27 road tunnels on the downwind leg and then turn towards the cement works chimney for base. 02 is not so easy as you will be out over the channel.

Good restaurants, Transair, and you might be followed in by a Trislander from the Channel Islands or a bizjet!

http://ukga.com/airfield/shoreham/reviews

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here