Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feeding the poor/homeless - POLITICS

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
If I see a homeless person I will usually give them some money or a coffee/sandwich, because I feel it is the right thing to do. Problem is, I could actually be arrested and cautioned/prosecuted for doing so under section 35 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. This is fairly new legislation which the Police and local authorities are using in ways to basically stop people doing, well, anything that they don't like, which seems to include feeding homeless people.
Already in the USA, feeding homeless people is now 'illegal' in over 20 states, with arrests and prosecutions being undertaken by armed officers. The same appears to be happening in the UK. WTF is going on with our government!!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1167...handing_out_food_to_the_homeless_in_Brighton/

http://streetskitchen.co.uk/we-must...ith-the-liverpool-women-convicted-for-caring/

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I did chuckle at the Argus report as the man handing out the food refused to give his name to the police but happy to have his name in print for the police to read.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am inclined to give a couple of quid, but I find it slightly odd that anyone that wishes to give a couple of quid to rough sleepers then demand that as the donor they should then demand that they spend it 'wisely'.

Personally I just hope it helps a little, whether its spent on food, vitamins or drugs and booze, once I have given it, its their shout and not for me to somehow impose my view on them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I see a homeless person I will usually give them some money or a coffee/sandwich, because I feel it is the right thing to do. Problem is, I could actually be arrested and cautioned/prosecuted for doing so under section 35 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

you've made that up. section 35 allows police to move people on for anti-social behaviour, in a specific area with a problem. i would hazard a guess the steet has a number of drunks so the enfocment is in place. had he been handing out sandwiches in another part of town, no problem.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
That argus article is well over 2 years old. Sec 35 is around moving anti social behaviour from an area - given at that time there were a huge number of calls from shop keepers and residents around such behaviour it doesn't seem such a poor use of those powers. Feeding the homeless isn't illegal.

Lush

Mods' Pet
There lots of reasons why people give. Because they feel lucky not to be in that situation themselves. Because it feels good to give. Because they genuinely hope it will help in some way.

But the fact remains that the best way to help people begging on the streets is by supporting charities like St Mungos or Brighton Housing Trust. It may not feel as good as handing out cash or food, but it will give people the support they need to build a life away from the streets.

It could even be argued that by giving people money, you're making a life on the streets an option. It's not necessarily an attractive one (although better in Brighton than many parts of the country, which is why many people come here). But perhaps a preferable one to the massive challenge of getting clean/sober/coping with mental health problems/addressing the issues that got you on the streets in the first place.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Whist out yesterday evening at a food kiosk, I saw a homeless guy looking through the bins for scraps.
I bought him some food whilst I was buying mine, he thanked me and I carried on about my business.
I do this sort of thing with food and amounts of cash whenever I can afford it and just supposed that others do the same.
I don't want recognition or a pat on the back or anything like that, I just hope that I am not in a minority.
I have no intention of stopping and no one is going to take away my freedom of choice in this matter.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
you've made that up. section 35 allows police to move people on for anti-social behaviour, in a specific area with a problem. i would hazard a guess the steet has a number of drunks so the enfocment is in place. had he been handing out sandwiches in another part of town, no problem.

I'm making what up?? You're 'hazarding guesses', i'm questioning the use of section 35.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm making what up?? You're 'hazarding guesses', i'm questioning the use of section 35.

Section 35 isn't being used to stop people specifically feeding the homeless though, is it? It's been used to disperse some anti social individuals (over 2 years ago).

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
That argus article is well over 2 years old. Sec 35 is around moving anti social behaviour from an area - given at that time there were a huge number of calls from shop keepers and residents around such behaviour it doesn't seem such a poor use of those powers. Feeding the homeless isn't illegal.

And standing, chatting with a few mates in a public space is not illegal either, unless the police enforce section 35. Sorry but you are really missing the point.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

your claim you could be arrested for giving a sandwich to someone under section 35 is false. you can get arrested if you dont follow the instruction to move on, nothing to do with handing out sandwiches. feel free to read the legislation and highlight where it mentions food or homeless. there's probably a question over whether the s35 is being applied too loosely and enforced too rigourously, dont need to make up stuff along the way.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Section 35 doesn't prevent people giving food or even money to homeless people. I give food generally and very rarely cash. The demonisation of the homeless by government, councils and Daily Mail types is abborant and I hope those that share those unhuman views don't end up on the street. I nearly have in the past. What really grinds my gears is those idiots that moan about the homeless taking drugs or drinking. Hell yeh - I'd do the same if I were in their position. Hands up who hasn't used beer / wine as something to numb the pain at some point ?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
your claim you could be arrested for giving a sandwich to someone under section 35 is false. you can get arrested if you dont follow the instruction to move on, nothing to do with handing out sandwiches. feel free to read the legislation and highlight where it mentions food or homeless. there's probably a question over whether the s35 is being applied too loosely and enforced too rigourously, dont need to make up stuff along the way.

And why would I be asked to move on, if all I am doing is handing out sandwiches???? As in the case of the two ladies in Liverpool, who were prosecuted. Section 35 is being used too broadly. Of course it does not mention giving out sandwiches, but the term 'anti-social' is being interpreted too loosely and being used to cover any action the authorities don't like - including, in some cases, handing out food to homeless people. I am not making this up.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You never really know what they are going to buy with money that you give them.
The way to do it is to buy a Big Issue or give to The Salvation Army when they rattle their tins or sing carols or sell the War Cry.
2 very good organisations.
However, along with everyone else I see I walk straight by and feel guilty, so, to avoid being a total hypocrite, the next time I see them I will buy 10 and give them back to re-sell, it must be a nice feeling.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here