Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice needed (problems with the DVLA)

0 Not allowed!
    So I sold a car, and got no details of the buyer,

I uninsured it and now the DVLA think I am still the registered keeper driving it around uninsured.

To change it I need the buyers details and I can't get them...

Help!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Surely you filled out the new owners details on the logbook as proof of vehicle transfer?? This is your proof that you've sold the vehicle and are no longer the owner. This should of then been sent to the DVLA.
      "The first 90 minutes of the match are the most important"

0 Not allowed!
      When you sold it, you were supposed to tell DVLA of the sale (online is the easiest). To do it online you need the reg number and the 11-digit ref number off the V5 (log book).

I'm guessing you didn't do that, so if the buyer didn't register he'd bought it, the DVLA will quite naturally assume the car is still yours. I'm guessing that you might have a bit of a problem with them if you now say tell them that in fact you sold it some time ago, as they'll probably think that that's an excuse to try to get you out of not having insurance (from their perspective).

Finally, I don't know this, but I suspect that not telling the DVLA that you've sold a car within a certain period of time is a criminal offence...

Advice? Have a quick chat with a solicitor and then call DVLA, explain and apologise. Any proof you can provide of the fact that you did in fact sell the car on the date you claim will undoubtedly be helpful.

https://www.buysellvehicle.service.g...vehicle-lookup
      2A. K2-18b

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Surely you filled out the new owners details on the logbook as proof of vehicle transfer?? This is your proof that you've sold the vehicle and are no longer the owner. This should of then been sent to the DVLA.
      The buyer sent a lorry to load the car onto and off it went. Never saw the buyer

0 Not allowed!
      Who sells a vehicle without knowing who they are selling it to?
      You could have even more fun if your old vehicle is used in a criminal incident and the police come calling.
      So currently you are exposed to no insurance liable for all parking offences and in somewhat of a spot if bother for safety camera offences as you are unable to confirm who was driving and presumably have no evidence of the sale otherwise you would have acquired the details of the buyer.
      I would leave the country now

2 Not allowed!
      Sounds like one for Enrest
      Uckfield Seagull I remember the good times's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Sounds like a genuine mistake. All you have to do now is convince the DVLA.
      As it is legaly still yours you will be liable for ALL speeding fines, parking tickets and drive offs (non payment of fuel).

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      Who sells a vehicle without knowing who they are selling it to?
      You could have even more fun if your old vehicle is used in a criminal incident and the police come calling.
      So currently you are exposed to no insurance liable for all parking offences and in somewhat of a spot if bother for safety camera offences as you are unable to confirm who was driving and presumably have no evidence of the sale otherwise you would have acquired the details of the buyer.
      I would leave the country now
      It was a classic car so I doubt this

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TomandJerry View Post
      The buyer sent a lorry to load the car onto and off it went. Never saw the buyer
      Ah right. Not sure how you're going to get their detail then. Did you get any proof, i.e. A receipt of sale to Otherwise you might have to take Goldstone1976 advise.
      "The first 90 minutes of the match are the most important"

Advice needed (problems with the DVLA)

0 Not allowed!
      How were you paid? Does that give you any clues?
      I'm sure I'd not be happy to see a car of mine disappear without knowing at least a little bit about where and who to. If for nothing else just to let the DVLA know.

What were you thinking?

Also, how was the deal done? You must have had some sort of contact.