Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice needed (problems with the DVLA)

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
So I sold a car, and got no details of the buyer,

I uninsured it and now the DVLA think I am still the registered keeper driving it around uninsured.

To change it I need the buyers details and I can't get them...

Help!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Surely you filled out the new owners details on the logbook as proof of vehicle transfer?? This is your proof that you've sold the vehicle and are no longer the owner. This should of then been sent to the DVLA.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
When you sold it, you were supposed to tell DVLA of the sale (online is the easiest). To do it online you need the reg number and the 11-digit ref number off the V5 (log book).

I'm guessing you didn't do that, so if the buyer didn't register he'd bought it, the DVLA will quite naturally assume the car is still yours. I'm guessing that you might have a bit of a problem with them if you now say tell them that in fact you sold it some time ago, as they'll probably think that that's an excuse to try to get you out of not having insurance (from their perspective).

Finally, I don't know this, but I suspect that not telling the DVLA that you've sold a car within a certain period of time is a criminal offence...

Advice? Have a quick chat with a solicitor and then call DVLA, explain and apologise. Any proof you can provide of the fact that you did in fact sell the car on the date you claim will undoubtedly be helpful.

https://www.buysellvehicle.service.gov.uk/sell-private/vehicle-lookup

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Surely you filled out the new owners details on the logbook as proof of vehicle transfer?? This is your proof that you've sold the vehicle and are no longer the owner. This should of then been sent to the DVLA.

The buyer sent a lorry to load the car onto and off it went. Never saw the buyer

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Who sells a vehicle without knowing who they are selling it to?
You could have even more fun if your old vehicle is used in a criminal incident and the police come calling.
So currently you are exposed to no insurance liable for all parking offences and in somewhat of a spot if bother for safety camera offences as you are unable to confirm who was driving and presumably have no evidence of the sale otherwise you would have acquired the details of the buyer.
I would leave the country now

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sounds like a genuine mistake. All you have to do now is convince the DVLA.
As it is legaly still yours you will be liable for ALL speeding fines, parking tickets and drive offs (non payment of fuel).

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Who sells a vehicle without knowing who they are selling it to?
You could have even more fun if your old vehicle is used in a criminal incident and the police come calling.
So currently you are exposed to no insurance liable for all parking offences and in somewhat of a spot if bother for safety camera offences as you are unable to confirm who was driving and presumably have no evidence of the sale otherwise you would have acquired the details of the buyer.
I would leave the country now

It was a classic car so I doubt this

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How were you paid? Does that give you any clues?
I'm sure I'd not be happy to see a car of mine disappear without knowing at least a little bit about where and who to. If for nothing else just to let the DVLA know.

What were you thinking?

Also, how was the deal done? You must have had some sort of contact.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
How were you paid? Does that give you any clues?
I'm sure I'd not be happy to see a car of mine disappear without knowing at least a little bit about where and who to. If for nothing else just to let the DVLA know.

What were you thinking?

Cash and nope..

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Fail to notify change of ownership to DVLA is an offence and they do prosecute. It's a "Band A" fine, 50% of relevant weekly income.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Was it this one?

IMG_0313.JPG

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I had something similar 3 years ago. I had an old motorbike that I didn't use and basically was rusting away in my garden. A mate of mine said there was a young lad where he worked looking for one of the same bikes and did I want to sell it. Me being me, stupid said he could have it free. My mate got it going and mot'd and gave to lad.the registration doc was sent off notifying change of ownership. The bike was taxed by new owner in post office. Forward 8 months (I had moved in meantime) I received a summons for two speeding (camera) and not notifying who was riding bike at time of offence. I had never received that letter, but summons was forwarded. My fault I know.
To cut long story short went to solicitor who said I didn't have a leg to stand on. The two speeding offence 3 points each not notifying change of ownership 6 points each. I had to pay for solicitor to attend court, plead guilty to the two speeding and he got the two notifications dropped. So for doing someone a favour ended up with 6 points on license £660 fine and £350 solicitor.
Hopefully you have a better outcome

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Fail to notify change of ownership to DVLA is an offence and they do prosecute. It's a "Band A" fine, 50% of relevant weekly income.

For most people, 50% of the weekly wage will be cheaper than the potential costs run up if the new owner goes crazy with speeding tickets, parking fines etc - time to 'fess up to DVLA, I suggest....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here