Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giant Flag Waving for Goal Celebrations

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Not sure who was the first club to use this but I first noticed it at Arsenal when two giant flags were waved behind the goal at the Emirates every time a home goal was scored. Made me chuckle to see this when the referee disallowed the goal so the waver had to be confident when jumping to his feet to celebrate.

What prompted this thread is that I've just seen it being used at Norwich and I believe Cardiff also use it.

Don't think I'd want this at the Amex though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Pathetic

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not sure who was the first club to use this but I first noticed it at Arsenal when two giant flags were waved behind the goal at the Emirates every time a home goal was scored. Made me chuckle to see this when the referee disallowed the goal so the waver had to be confident when jumping to his feet to celebrate.

What prompted this thread is that I've just seen it being used at Norwich and I believe Cardiff also use it.

Don't think I'd want this at the Amex though.

Sounds a bit.... Palacey.

Flag waving and flashing lights, just like a Eurovision night :laugh::shootself

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
No, absolutely awful and up there with goal music. Celebrations should be an organic, joyous mass of noise and movement, not something choreographed. Would add player celebrations to this (sorry Mr Baldock).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Portland Timbers (MLS)have a lumberjack who chops up wood with a chainsaw every time they score a goal
He stands on a podium in front of their ultras :wrong:
I can't work out whether the awful fake atmosphere and shit organised chanting at MLS games was influenced by the Palace teenage prats or vice versa. Mind you, the lumberjack would have an easy shift if they employed him at Selhurst.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I wouldn't want to be stuck behind a massive flag, missing the celebrations on the pitch etc.

So no thanks.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
IMG_9984.JPG

The Portland Timbers Goal celebration lumberjack :facepalm:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The more that is done by a club to improve the atmosphere the worse it gets in my view.

These sort of things are great if fan led, naff if club led. And I am pretty sure the club take that view too.

That said I would love to see (if the day ever comes) when we get promoted a full on blue and white ticker tape shower rigged up from the roof of all the stands. It would look phenomenal.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I mentioned this years ago when Chelsea started doing it and was told that it was great and there's was no issue with it.

It's really tin pot!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The flags at Palace are bought and waved by the fans not the club. The flags at Arsenal , Chelsea etc are arranged by the club and the wavers are paid by the club.

Not saying I like it but there is a vast difference IMHO.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Barcelona do it, tinpot team in a tinpot league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here