Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Annual reminder to switch energy providers

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
For those that don't it really is pretty straightforward.

The Cheeserolls household has spent £1,265 this year on gas and electricity, based on a SSE fixed one year dual fuel tariff.

Do nothing and the same usage will cost £1,713 for the next year.

Moneysavingexpert.com https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com...?_ga=1.119419649.949399585.1483701321predicts my best deal for next year will come in at £1,319, so a small increase.

I am just waiting on the outcome of the Big Community Switch auction https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/Product/index.rails?actionId=544 to see if that deal can be beaten.

Come on folks there are plenty of better things you can be doing with your money.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yup, I started switching last year and my current deal runs out next week. I switch my mum this week for her too. It is pretty easy, really. The only problem we had this week for my mum was finding the gas meter reference number, which was supposed to be on the bills, but I couldn't find it. I did eventually find a number, which I hoped was the right one and put t in and it was accepted, so hoping it was ok. Must do mine today.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Recently done it, switched to one of those small companies to see how they do, not sure who it is as Mrs Chopper sorted it but saving £300 per year.
Changing energy, insurances, broadband/ Phone every year or so stinks the whole thing is poor, feel sorry for old people etc who can't or don't know how, it's all wrong and out of control.
Getting rid of BT TV soon and O2 have just broken their 'contract' with me, so they can do one too.
(I know it's in the small print but when I sign a contract with a customer that's how much I charge them, I don't/can't/ won't put it up halfway through.
It all makes my piss boil.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
If you are with one of the 'big' providers, especially on a standard tariff (generally standard = expensive, whatever they call it), then saving £300 per year is really quite straightforward.
Depending on where you sit / your age etc, that's close to 50% off your season ticket :ascarf:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For those that don't it really is pretty straightforward.

The Cheeserolls household has spent £1,265 this year on gas and electricity, based on a SSE fixed one year dual fuel tariff.

Do nothing and the same usage will cost £1,713 for the next year.

Moneysavingexpert.com https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com...?_ga=1.119419649.949399585.1483701321predicts my best deal for next year will come in at £1,319, so a small increase.

I am just waiting on the outcome of the Big Community Switch auction https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/Product/index.rails?actionId=544 to see if that deal can be beaten.

Come on folks there are plenty of better things you can be doing with your money.

A 10% increase is small?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A 10% increase is small?

4.2% increase for current best tariff
35.4% increase to do nothing.
I am already on a very competitive tariff, so those that don't bother can see how much they are throwing away. There are likely to be more expensive standard tariffs than SSE my current provider as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Eon offer me several new tariffs every January. I am paying £30 less this year, than last, even though I'm still with them. £980 for 12 months dual fuel, paying by DD, with paperless bills. And they haven't put their prices up (yet).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes I do silly me

59937638.jpg
Only really an option for dual fuel customers - savings are much smaller with electric only and the savings haven't been enough to make me leave British Gas for a supplier I haven't heard of. I would happily leave them as I am not a fan but settling my bill to switch for a few quid has never seemed worth it. I still check every year but haven't bothered yet.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't go with any of the "big" providers (Eon/NPower/British Gas/EDF/SSE/etc) as they're all as useless as each other in my experience and more difficult to deal with than it's worth. Been with Ovo for a couple of years now and they've been great.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ok, have just been through it all. My current deal with nPower expires soon and I'm paying £105 pcm. The best deal I can now get is staying with them at £137, though that is still a saving against letting the current tariff slip to variable. There were a couple of other possible deals with other companies at just over that, but looks like I may as well stay with nPower for another year.

I run a kidney dialysis machine every day, so that takes a bit of juice, but the hospital gives me £150 a quarter towards that, which is pretty good, really.

theboybilly

I had a new boiler fitted by British Gas and took out insurance (including an annual boiler service) I also had Direct Line insurance in case of things like electrics etc having problems. Yesterday I got my quote from BG (no - not for a left back) and as I was no longer on a 1st year deal my premium had almost doubled. A few online searches got me a deal for everything for less than the price of my Direct Line insurance...I'll save £300 near as damn it. Next year no doubt the premium will go up as I'm no longer a new customer but I'll just become a new customer eksewhere. When you retire these things focus the mind

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I transferred to Octopus energy 2 months ago. You need to drill down and look at the day rates and actual unit costs. The comparison sites are inaccurate. Not all companies are on there for a start. I dare say with these comparison sites that your own company wil look cheaper!
LOOK AT THE ACTUAL DAY RATES AND THE UNIT COSTS.
If you do change and sayit is on a recommendation (from me) ,you get £15 and I do. I am paying 18p at a day for lece and same for gas.lec is 12.09 per unit, gas is only 2.65.
This has now gone up though, but have a look.
ps I switchex from OVO is their pices have drifted up too much.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Recently done it, switched to one of those small companies to see how they do, not sure who it is as Mrs Chopper sorted it but saving £300 per year.
Changing energy, insurances, broadband/ Phone every year or so stinks the whole thing is poor, feel sorry for old people etc who can't or don't know how, it's all wrong and out of control.
Getting rid of BT TV soon and O2 have just broken their 'contract' with me, so they can do one too.
(I know it's in the small print but when I sign a contract with a customer that's how much I charge them, I don't/can't/ won't put it up halfway through.
It all makes my piss boil.

Re 'old people'..those on the Warm Home Discount also have to be wary who they switch to as the smaller providers with under 250k don't necessarily offer it

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I've found that it is generally cheaper to have separate Gas and Electricity suppliers than be on one of the dual tariff rates. Certainly worth checking when you do your comparison.
Currently with Robin Hood Energy for electricty and Zog Energy for gas.

Also, the only comparison site that gives you the figures you really need is moneysavingexpert.com . All of the others are only any good if you are already on a Standard rate.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wouldn't go with any of the "big" providers (Eon/NPower/British Gas/EDF/SSE/etc) as they're all as useless as each other in my experience and more difficult to deal with than it's worth. Been with Ovo for a couple of years now and they've been great.

As another poster said OVO's prices have drifted up ..however I do find there App/website and customer service very good

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I use OVO, monthly readings all on line. Great service and billing is always spot on.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Sometimes it is cheaper to have your gas and electric with separate providers as dual fuel discounts are minimal or non-existant at present

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In terms of service another vote for Ovo here. Really simple web app, good clear information, excellent service. SEE for the last year, were a pain to get set up. I still had an account from when I was last with them about 6 years ago. I also have an economy 7 meter, which can be confusing if the provider doesn't make it clear which reading goes in which box. This is a waste of space for me, as my night time electricity usage is around 5%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here