Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading not a sellout?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Surprised there's still that many, but it's the old argument regarding paying match by match. People only have a certain amount to spend, two games in 4 days works out pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Isn't it a silly prices category? Therefore not surprised.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's only Reading :shrug:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Really,can't believe we can't sell out!

I suppose it is a measure of how far we have come that not selling out is so unbelievable. Yes, you are right in that it is disappointing by present standards, but it is only by about 400 max tickets, so still rather impressive. Later kick-off, two matches within days and the fact that it is on Sky will doubtless have had an effect. Given that Reading will have 2000 fans, we have to accept the fact that we have about 27,000 max die-hards, and then several thousand more casual fans, who pick and choose. Two families down the road here are going to the Newcastle match but will watch this one on telly. A crowd of 28/29000 is still very good.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I suppose it is a measure of how far we have come that not selling out is so unbelievable. Yes, you are right in that it is disappointing by present standards, but it is only by about 400 max tickets, so still rather impressive. Later kick-off, two matches within days and the fact that it is on Sky will doubtless have had an effect. Given that Reading will have 2000 fans, we have to accept the fact that we have about 27,000 max die-hards, and then several thousand more casual fans, who pick and choose. Two families down the road here are going to the Newcastle match but will watch this one on telly. A crowd of 28/29000 is still very good.

I remember Naylor running a piece before we had moved in, saying fans that were disappointed about the (initial) 20,000 capacity should be realistic, as we would not get near selling that out for at least a decade. ****.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I remember Naylor running a piece before we had moved in, saying fans that were disappointed about the (initial) 20,000 capacity should be realistic, as we would not get near selling that out for at least a decade. ****.

Yes, does seem strange, as I am sure that the Albion during the Withdean era said that that there were 20,00 fans on their database, even if quite obviously not all attended every match. As the saying goes, if you build it, then the punters will turn up. Personally I had no doubt that this would happen - take the example of Southampton -the Dell held 17,000 odd max and yet the crowd virtually doubled after the move.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
People will always want to be attached to 'success' so the fantastic turnouts above the 'hard core' we are getting is testament to that and all bar one season we have had a great run at the Amex.

But even if we have a 'bad' season in the Championship I'm sure the crowds will always be around 20,000 or so.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
People will always want to be attached to 'success' so the fantastic turnouts above the 'hard core' we are getting is testament to that and all bar one season we have had a great run at the Amex.

But even if we have a 'bad' season in the Championship I'm sure the crowds will always be around 20,000 or so.

Yes, I think that is reasonable comment, though perhaps if the decline were to get really serious over a longer period, then that figure would sadly be sorely tested.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here