Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Criminal Court Sentencing ?

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Looking at BBC news Ian Stewart "jailed" for 34 years for the murder of Helen Bailey and should he be a good boy could well serve half of that (?) yet Mick Philpott gets a minimum of 15 years so how does it work ? Both evil.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Philpott

It's very difficult to compare sentences on a like for like basis. There are so many varying factors what will affect sentencing.

The main difference between the two is Philpott was convicted of manslaughter and Stewart got convicted of murder. It's also worth bearing in mind that Stewart will need to apply for parole and can only do that in 17 years time. From the little I know of the case, he will have to do a lot more than just be good to even have a sniff of getting paroled.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can't comment on why the sentences were handed out, but the "minimum" is only applied to life sentences. A sentence with a set length will allow for parole after half the sentence is served.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
So what actually is a Life Sentance ?

A whole life sentence is exactly that. You will die in prison. No options.

A life sentence with a tariff is that you serve the tariff before you can be considered for parole.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It seems I missed the fact he was given a life sentence. I don't understand why the media report a 34 year sentence rather than life sentence with 34 year minimum. Misleading to say the least and doesn't help people understand how sentencing works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here