Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney to china £1m a week

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
Reports Rooney has been told by Utd, that he can leave immediately if he reaches an agreement in this transfer window. Cannot believe that the now club record scorer has been told he can leave? If you were Rooney, would you go?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Reports Rooney has been told by Utd, that he can leave immediately if he reaches an agreement in this transfer window. Cannot believe that the now club record scorer has been told he can leave? If you were Rooney, would you go?

Difficult. He's not an automatic pick now. I can't see him liking living there, but for the silly money - which I doubt he needs - maybe stick it for a season. I'd rather see him back at Everton, personally.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Rooney is past it.

If I were him I'd go for a season.

However, I miss the days when players from the top leagues paid football back a bit by having a stint in a lower league club. It's not like he needs the cash is it?

Rooney to Tranmere Rovers?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i reckon he'll go ...he's a bit of a pervert after all , imagine the shennanigans he could get up to with 350 million grannies to choose from ...and a million quid a week which is also a mahoosive joke ....obscene in fact.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's no way Spud will get a million quid a week, even the Chinese league regulators have got a bgit nervous and put a cap on the obscene numbers being bandied around.

Bit of a game-changer tho eh? Has-beens are starting to bypass Amerika completely in favour of China for their last big pay-day. Oh well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont believe 1m a week. isnt that double what they've offered better players?

and i dont know why he'd go. doesn't need "one more pay day", up root the family, move that far, to play in a poor league? when you could still get £100k from a european league?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Which transfer window?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rooney is past it.

If I were him I'd go for a season.

However, I miss the days when players from the top leagues paid football back a bit by having a stint in a lower league club. It's not like he needs the cash is it?

It's all about greed these days. Still can't believe that Giggs was granted a testimonial. Oh hang on, he donated some of the takings to charity.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
The Chinese transfer window, which I think closes in a week or so. so could happen.

China has taken the America model and turned it on its head by capturing top players in their prime. The Chinese league and players will benefit massively from these quality additions.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There's not much I wouldn't do for £1m per week.

Perspective. 1 mil to him is probably 1 grand to you for uprooting your family and living in China.

You can already live in china on 30-40k a year teaching English without knowing a word of Chinese.

He's going for his last big payday, can't really blame him but like others have said, would be nice if footballers were to actually give something back at the end of their careers to the clubs that nurtured them.

Of course, with agents in their ears at every turn telling them how they need to capitalise on their short careers as if working life should end for them at 30, it's all very unsurprising.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a backwater league that nobody outside of China gives a toss about, or ever will. The obscene sums involved are largely driven by corporate backing of the football clubs, and their vanity in doing so. In their culture, its actually seen as a badge of honour, or pride, to be seen to be spending the most money, so as to show an ostentatious level of wealth (and power). Paying these ridiculous salaries for players is not only about attracting them, but also sending out a message.

I read of an example of this in a Chinese nightclub, where there are actually screens on the walls showing the mounting bar bills of each table. Patrons will go out of their way to spend the most, loading up on $500 bottles of champagne etc. Order a certain amount, and it gets delivered to your table with an LED light show to draw attention.

They're very odd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I read of an example of this in a Chinese nightclub, where there are actually screens on the walls showing the mounting bar bills of each table. Patrons will go out of their way to spend the most, loading up on $500 bottles of champagne etc. Order a certain amount, and it gets delivered to your table with an LED light show to draw attention.

They're very odd.

Classy, that.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

I agree entirely. In fact, I wrote about this, a few seasons back:

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?125-Faded-Glories

In another era - before Division One was division three, and long before Sundays were trademarked as Super - those fantasies might have come to pass, and Scholes might indeed have been starting this coming season as an Oldham player, taking his bow at Boundary Park, before enjoying back to back trips to the footballing outposts of Yeovil and Scunthorpe.

A once-great footballer, reaching the end of his top-flight career in 2011 has plenty of options. If he wishes, he can simply sit back and count his money. Those who find it too much off a wrench to lose contact with the game completely, travel the well trodden career path from professional footballer, to professional ex-footballer - put their name to a column in the Star, talk banalities with Talk Sport and yell "Unbelievable Jeff" down the phone line, from Edgeley Park on a match-day.

In that other era - before footballers interested gossip columnists, and when there were a total of a dozen sports broadcasting jobs available - the same footballer knew that once he hung up his boots, he could either open the obligatory pub or sports shop, drive a taxi, or 'coach' random children for the summer season at Butlins in Minehead.

With only such mundane inevitabilities awaiting them, the star player of yesteryear clung to his playing career for as long as his tired legs would carry him - dropping down the divisions, in search of an ever dwindling pay packet. As he descended to each subsequent level, the last lingering lustre of that stardom, raised a glimmer of excitement in his new club's fans, at least in the short term

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The Chinese transfer window, which I think closes in a week or so. so could happen.

China has taken the America model and turned it on its head by capturing top players in their prime. The Chinese league and players will benefit massively from these quality additions.

Which top players in their prime have gone there? i

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

They're very odd.

Seems the perfect place for a Premier League player; they love this sort of thing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

£1m x 156 = £156m .... yup, I'd give it a go!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here