Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you feel if Tony Bloom sold the club to the Chinese?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
With the news that Southampton are now in talks to sell to a Chinese Bank which would mean they would become the 6th Chinese owned club in the country (Manchester City, West Bromwich Albion, Aston Villa, Birmingham City and Wolverhampton Wanderers) we have to face there is a realistic (if perhaps not likely) chance of our club being a target, particularly if we go up.

How would you feel if this happened?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If it happened, then it would be with Tony Bloom's blessing and he would do it with the clubs best interests at heart. So personally I would be fine with it. You can never say never, but I don't think it will be happening anytime soon.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think there's too much Albion history within the Bloom family for a complete sell out to foreign owners, unless that is his own personal financial situation changed drastically and he had to sell, but that's unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I thought there was a clause that Mr Knight put in place that put massive restrictions on anyone's ability to sell the club?

Clearly TB is by far the majority shareholder and could sell his shareholding but others may not or can't, maybe a buyer would want 100%?

My feelings would be well done TB, you delivered on your promise, we have a great stadium, are Prem Lge ready and you make a few bob (p.s. I don't think he'd sell all of his holding but maybe 33%?) but I'd worry about a future of an owner without the historic understanding of the club and, possibly, with a short term ambition?

Biggest worry for all English clubs will be when (not if) the TV bubble bursts and the Sky Money Fountain dries up. More so than ever I wouldn't invest in English football.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
With the news that Southampton are now in talks to sell to a Chinese Bank which would mean they would become the 6th Chinese owned club in the country (Manchester City, West Bromwich Albion, Aston Villa, Birmingham City and Wolverhampton Wanderers) we have to face there is a realistic (if perhaps not likely) chance of our club being a target, particularly if we go up.

How would you feel if this happened?

Imagine if he lost the club in a poker game :cry:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Imagine if he lost the club in a poker game :cry:
Then that would beat the largest pot in poker by a factor of around 300. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought there was a clause that Mr Knight put in place that put massive restrictions on anyone's ability to sell the club?

Clearly TB is by far the majority shareholder and could sell his shareholding but others may not or can't, maybe a buyer would want 100%?

Irrelevant, surely? Bloom's holding is such that he controls the club so if anyone bought him out they'd control the club, regardless of the minority shareholders.

Back to the opening question: if it meant pancake rolls featuring in the concourse outlets then I could be persuaded.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not going to lie, I wouldn't like it. I have no problem if Tony at some point wanted to cash in but given all this club has gone through for it to fall into the hands of someone with no feeling not only for the club but the sport in general would sadden me greatly.

There is a difference between supporting a team that you feel a connection too and one that you feel is a rich man's plaything.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Irrelevant, surely? Bloom's holding is such that he controls the club so if anyone bought him out they'd control the club, regardless of the minority shareholders.

Back to the opening question: if it meant pancake rolls featuring in the concourse outlets then I could be persuaded.

The noodles didn't last long so I wouldn't bank on it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Man City?

The real question should be, why are all these supposedly loaded Chinese people buying up all the Midlands clubs and making them shit?

Do the Chinese have a problem with the accent or something?

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I'm not sure there's any such thing as "the Chinese". We have to face facts that football clubs are saleable commodities these days - there are some foreign investors who have been good, stable owners for their clubs (Abramovich, Sheikh Mansoor, Kroenke and Liebherr at Saints) and others who have been complete nightmares (Venkys, Vincent Tan, Duchâtelet at Charlton). I'd suggest none can be defined by their race, nationality, creed, religion - just by their personality.

I would of course have concerns about a Chinese investment bank buying the club. IBs typically only invest in companies where they see a very obvious way to make lots of money, or if they have someone they are fronting up for that doesn't want to be identified. Without having an inside track on this, I'm not going to throw any accusations about - but I'm not sure I can see the 'easy money' angle in this case!

Dick Knight did us a huge favour in sitting tight until he was confident he could pass the reins to someone he trusted. I have a lot of faith that Tony would do the same.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'd rather be in the Championship with an owner who loves the club, than in the top flight with an owner who just wants Albion to be a cash generator. Would be gutted

For me getting in the PL would be nice, but really its about rewarding our owner that has put a lot on the line for our club. Without Tony where would we be now?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Not going to lie, I wouldn't like it. I have no problem if Tony at some point wanted to cash in but given all this club has gone through for it to fall into the hands of someone with no feeling not only for the club but the sport in general would sadden me greatly.

There is a difference between supporting a team that you feel a connection too and one that you feel is a rich man's plaything.

That's saved me from typing this. Thanks.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here