Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who'd win this?

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Saw this pic on Twitter today. It's my fave ever Albion 11 in my time of watching live. I started going regularly in the 83/84 season and I reckon the main 11 here would give last Saturday's team a real run for its money. In a straight comparison I see it as:

Graham Mosely < Stockers
Steve Gatting < Bruno
Chris Hutchings > Poco
Gary O'Reilly < Dunky
Eric Young > Duffy
Steve Jacobs = Sidders
Danny Wilson > Dale
Steve Penny < Knocky
Dean Saunders > Jamie M
Terry Connor > Baldock
Justin Fashanu < Muzza

This team doesn't have a Solly on the bench but Alan Biley and even Marvellous Micky Ferguson had goals in em. Not to mention the guile of Dennis Mortimer in reserve.

Probably not a coincidence that the two managers are the best we've had outside the top flight.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 394

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Really he did. My first visit to the Den. Autumn 1985. Fergie scored the winner - his third in 3 consecutive games. Catlin took him off the transfer list after that. Probably didn't score again tbf but that goal and the ensuing shower of coins I endured made him ok by me.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Saw this pic on Twitter today. It's my fave ever Albion 11 in my time of watching live. I started going regularly in the 83/84 season and I reckon the main 11 here would give last Saturday's team a real run for its money. In a straight comparison I see it as:

Graham Mosely < Stockers
Steve Gatting < Bruno
Chris Hutchings > Poco
Gary O'Reilly < Dunky
Eric Young > Duffy
Steve Jacobs = Sidders
Danny Wilson > Dale
Steve Penny < Knocky
Dean Saunders > Jamie M
Terry Connor > Baldock
Justin Fashanu < Muzza

This team doesn't have a Solly on the bench but Alan Biley and even Marvellous Micky Ferguson had goals in em. Not to mention the guile of Dennis Mortimer in reserve.

Probably not a coincidence that the two managers are the best we've had outside the top flight.

I remember that team well, and indeed, started to watch the Albion at around the same time as yourself.

However, as fond as I was of those players, in my opinion I don't think any of them are as good as the team we have now. Dean Saunders and Terry Connor might come close, but our current first team squad is the best that I have ever seen during my time of supporting the club.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I remember that team well, and indeed, started to watch the Albion at around the same time as yourself.

However, as fond as I was of those players, in my opinion I don't think any of them are as good as the team we have now. Dean Saunders and Terry Connor might come close, but our current first team squad is the best that I have ever seen during my time of supporting the club.

I would suggest that neither team would beat Mullery's team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very hard to compare. Modern fitness levels would be quite a way superior.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dean Saunders over Jamie Murphy. Apart from that I'm struggling. Steve Penney would be a competitor for Solly. Perhaps Gatting over Bruno.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here