Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But your being there for her is the first night. Then there is a second night, and then a third and so on. A journey of a thousand steps starts with the first and with the right support and guidance, she'll be able to look back on that night as the first step on her road to straightening out her life. Your work sounds as challenging as it is rewarding, it must take a lot of mental strength on your part to cope - you've got my respect!

Thank you, we work with a multi agency approach so there will be many people helping her recovery. Despite the clear lack of resources, there are many agencies and charities that work flat out to help vulnerable women. And all with the knowledge that recovery is not guaranteed. Recovery isn’t A-Z. More often it’s A-D-W-A again. Many times over.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having been through shingles (February), which I still have but to no effect as it was back then, a break up of relationship, which was anything but good, suffering financial hardship through covid, two overdoses and ended up in hospital, depression and a breakdown in August, I think, believe it or not, I'm starting to see what the 'other side', the good side is like. I've tried to at least cut back or stop alcohol as this is a major contributor to depression. I've literally had eight cans of Fosters in 5 weeks. For a heavy drinker (self medication) believe me that is a bit of a revelation. Also found telling people without embarrassment where I am at the moment does take pressure off, assuming they don't mind listening. I've had fantastic back up from family and close friends. I'm nowhere near there as of yet but I can see some positives that only a month ago were just not possible. I haven't spoken to a professional body like MIND yet, but that will be on the cards. My doc wants an update within the next two weeks which I shall be doing. Also let me just say that my anti-depressants had a very adverse effect on me that didn't help so I took the decision to stop taking them, I have felt better since, although I don't advocate this to anyone, it was my personal decision.

If this resonates with you, please feel free to message me. I can't say I'll get back immediately as I tend not to come on here very often now, but I will reply when I can. A problem shared and all that.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Brave man Nomad, nothing but respect and best wishes. Men still don’t talk enough about their mental health, it really is the last taboo and sadly remains so in spite of more enlightened societal thinking.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
If this resonates with you, please feel free to message me. I can't say I'll get back immediately as I tend not to come on here very often now, but I will reply when I can. A problem shared and all that.

The same applies to you as well, I don't know you but if you ever want someone to chat to PM me and I'll be there to listen.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Having been through shingles (February), which I still have but to no effect as it was back then, a break up of relationship, which was anything but good, suffering financial hardship through covid, two overdoses and ended up in hospital, depression and a breakdown in August, I think, believe it or not, I'm starting to see what the 'other side', the good side is like. I've tried to at least cut back or stop alcohol as this is a major contributor to depression. I've literally had eight cans of Fosters in 5 weeks. For a heavy drinker (self medication) believe me that is a bit of a revelation. Also found telling people without embarrassment where I am at the moment does take pressure off, assuming they don't mind listening. I've had fantastic back up from family and close friends. I'm nowhere near there as of yet but I can see some positives that only a month ago were just not possible. I haven't spoken to a professional body like MIND yet, but that will be on the cards. My doc wants an update within the next two weeks which I shall be doing. Also let me just say that my anti-depressants had a very adverse effect on me that didn't help so I took the decision to stop taking them, I have felt better since, although I don't advocate this to anyone, it was my personal decision.

a lot of people are struggle with shit , it's good to have friends that will listen without judging ........please don't do the OD thing again , i'll listen all day long, anti depressants suck hole big time .... xx

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, and this one seemed as good as any. Bit of a back story; after our 2-1 defeat at home to Harrogate Town on Tuesday, our manager Ian Holloway emotionally revealed that it had been 'one of the worst days of his life' having discovered that his best mate had taken his own life earlier before the game. Link to interview here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08vvmxz

Anyway, on the back of this tragic revelation a few Town fans started a Just Giving campaign on behalf of Ollie and his good friend, with a view to raising money for a suicide prevention charity or similar. At the time of writing it's raised just over five grand since being started this afternoon, and as someone who's been open on here about visiting some pretty dark places myself I just thought it was a good cause worth sharing. If anything, Ollie's description of his mate hit a bit close to home - father, lovely family, everything going for him, inexplicable why he's done it, etc. Until you find yourself at that cliff edge (metaphorical or literal), it's hard to comprehend.

Link below. I'm sure even the smallest donation would be hugely appreciated by all concerned:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/wearewithyou?utm_term=rBGVBEDMD

Most importantly, take care and stay safe all. x

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, and this one seemed as good as any. Bit of a back story; after our 2-1 defeat at home to Harrogate Town on Tuesday, our manager Ian Holloway emotionally revealed that it had been 'one of the worst days of his life' having discovered that his best mate had taken his own life earlier before the game. Link to interview here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08vvmxz

Anyway, on the back of this tragic revelation a few Town fans started a Just Giving campaign on behalf of Ollie and his good friend, with a view to raising money for a suicide prevention charity or similar. At the time of writing it's raised just over five grand since being started this afternoon, and as someone who's been open on here about visiting some pretty dark places myself I just thought it was a good cause worth sharing. If anything, Ollie's description of his mate hit a bit close to home - father, lovely family, everything going for him, inexplicable why he's done it, etc. Until you find yourself at that cliff edge (metaphorical or literal), it's hard to comprehend.

Link below. I'm sure even the smallest donation would be hugely appreciated by all concerned:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/wearewithyou?utm_term=rBGVBEDMD

Most importantly, take care and stay safe all. x

Done.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think it was Jack Kerouac who said it was either a case of him or the world being mad. He chose to blame the world. He was right.
Throw that bit away when it comes. The world is crazy.

There is so much more help out here now for depression, anxiety, panic

Last edited:

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
My doctor has offered me a mild dose of anti depressants. I had never considered myself to be depressed. Stressed maybe, but not depressed. Anyway a discussion with GP is now leading me to question myself and investigate depression more. Naturally i came here for initial investigation

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yes please.

I take the view they are like a sticking plaster rather than a way of addressing the root problems.
I could also see myself getting dependent on them.
I am not ruling out using them in the future but i would prefer to try other things first like not drinking, exercise, improving diet.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
My doctor has offered me a mild dose of anti depressants. I had never considered myself to be depressed. Stressed maybe, but not depressed. Anyway a discussion with GP is now leading me to question myself and investigate depression more. Naturally i came here for initial investigation

Just seen this. Depression and stress are like unwanted pals, in my experience. I find it hard to differentiate between the two.
I had a v bad period a month ago - a load of unrelated things stressing me out, my inability to deal with them effectively led to depression.
I’m guessing it came as shock to hear the doctor talk about depression. Best advice I can give you is to respect it, and manage it, by looking after yourself physically and mentally. In my experience It is like a dark cloud that eventually passes. Understand it, and you can learn to live with it.
I would only go down anti depressant route if you’ve already sorted out your lifestyle. If you’re a boozer , maybe give it a rest for a month or so, just until you’re feeling better about things ?
I am just some random dude on the internet though, not a doctor !

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I take the view they are like a sticking plaster rather than a way of addressing the root problems.
I could also see myself getting dependant on them.
I am not ruling out using them in the future but i would prefer to try other things first like not drinking, exercise, improving diet.

I've been extremely stressed in the not so distant past and mildly depressed as well, since going back to employed work and regaining the ability to switch off and go home I feel miles better, fine in fact. It's worked for me luckily. A good friend was dependant on 'happy pills' for ten years, you have made the right decision IMO. I've never been a fan of pills and things you don't understand howe they work. I've been on medication 18 months and am weaning off . . . . nothing mental related a physical thing, but the early higher doses, did have a mental afffect. One thing which seems to help so many people is walking, and in particular with a dog. not feasible/possible for everyone, something I look forward to on the way home.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've been extremely stressed in the not so distant past and mildly depressed as well, since going back to employed work and regaining the ability to switch off and go home I feel miles better, fine in fact. It's worked for me luckily. A good friend was dependant on 'happy pills' for ten years, you have made the right decision IMO. I've never been a fan of pills and things you don't understand howe they work. I've been on medication 18 months and am weaning off . . . . nothing mental related a physical thing, but the early higher doses, did have a mental afffect. One thing which seems to help so many people is walking, and in particular with a dog. not feasible/possible for everyone, something I look forward to on the way home.

Thanks, that’s good to hear, on the pills front and I’m glad to hear you are on the mend.

Walking....yes. Minimum of 10k steps a day if possible. Your phone will tell you how many you’ve done. And taking in what’s around you as well, the sounds, the ambience, rather than listening to music or chatting on phone.
I don’t think there’s anything better for depression than CV exercise. It’s so good for the brain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here