Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Difficult to believe how many Brighton fans went to Barnsley

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
brighton-fans-newcastle-united-nufc-650x400.jpg

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/02/dif...ey-newcastle-united-brighton-and-hove-albion/

Bit disappointed with Brighton fans really because after Newcastle, I want them to go up, especially with the Hughton.

Chris Hughton praised the Brighton fans for their support after the game on Saturday.

The former Newcastle boss saying ‘They sang throughout the game so it was impossible not to hear them.

However, it is a world away from Hughton’s experience seven years ago when at Newcastle United.

When I saw the Chris Hughton quotes (see below), I must admit to being a little surprised as I’d seen the weekend’s highlights on Football on Five and i couldn’t quite believe how few Brighton fans there were at Oakwell.

We take for granted just how many Newcastle supporters will travel away and at Barnsley this season, we took 6,000 fans and could have sold many thousands more. It was a Tuesday night!

Yes Brighton is further away (237 miles from Barnsley) but 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, knowing you will go back to the top of the Championship and you are in the promotion run-in, plus they are playing great football.

I checked up and there were 1,396 Brighton fans at Barnsley to see their 2-0 win on Saturday…and go back top of the table.

Bit disappointed with them really because after Newcastle, I want Brighton to go up, especially with the Hughton factor.

I don’t usually go in for the we have got better fans than you kind of stuff but this looked particularly feeble.

I must admit I thought their support was a bit better than that.

Chris Hughton quote:
They (Brighton fans) sang right the way through the (Barnsley) game so it was impossible not to hear them.

“Even at 0-0, when perhaps there was a little lull in the game, they were excellent.

“We will need every bit of that going through until the end of the season.”

Before the Barnsley v Newcastle match in October – Barnsley boss Paul Heckingbottom:

“It’s why we got promoted, to play in sell-out games like this.

“It will be fantastic with 6,000 Geordies singing and, hopefully, we will be outsinging them two to one.”

The Barnsley v Brighton crowd on Saturday was 12,743.

Back on that Tuesday night in October for Barnsley v Newcastle it was 18,597.

..........................................................................................................................................

Do not know much about Dale Thompson and his reports, but seems a bit of an odd report, comparing Albion support to Newcastle, perhaps I'm reading it wrong! :glare:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oddly enough, just been cringing at the utter Twitter bellends you get on every 'picture of support' Twitter account. 1400 to Barnsley is bloody fantastic for a club of our size - bloody fantastic. Yet you get kids with a Twitter account critiscizing how 'shot' it is. One even being a Reading fan :facepalm:

Look under the tweet here:

https://twitter.com/awaydays23/status/833391942687940609

It really is pathetic that social media means clubs should suddenly take 10k everywhere just because the likes of Leeds & Newcastle travel very well because they have a lot more fans than other championship clubs...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
An example:

[tweet]833395364459864065[/tweet]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Toon fans are having a go. Quite right too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oddly enough, just been cringing at the utter Twitter bellends you get on every 'picture of support' Twitter account. 1400 to Barnsley is bloody fantastic for a club of our size - bloody fantastic. Yet you get kids with a Twitter account critiscizing how 'shot' it is. One even being a Reading fan :facepalm:

Look under the tweet here:

[tweet]833391942687940609[/tweet]

It really is pathetic that social media means clubs should suddenly take 10k everywhere just because the likes of Leeds & Newcastle travel very well because they have a lot more fans than other championship clubs...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I missed it because I didn't realise we played on Saturdays anymore...what was the score?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Absolute Goon.

Newcastle -> Barnsley is exactly the same distance as.....

Brighton -> Milton Keynes

7000 wasn't it ? ??? ???

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
The money you save living in the north compared to the south east means all the fans of northern clubs should more easily be able to afford to travel than their Sussex counterparts. Only 6000 from Newcastle, when you can buy a house there for around two and six? Shocking!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yea let's compare a fixture where we have to travel double the distance with the cluster**** of the capital in between, against a club with numerous years in the PL.

Fair comparison.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Leeds fans don't own a map of England.

Yes he justified it by saying they took 5.7k to Barnsley :facepalm: The Willy waving is rife in Yorkshire.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Newcastle are a much bigger club than us. No right to have a go really.

Yep. And they've won duck all trophies so that makes us quits!! :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Unless they are a little scared?

That's been evident all season. I remember the tweets of 'If Rafa wants Knockaert he'll have him' followed by 'Rafa doesn't want him' when it transpired we weren't selling.... Of course a few weeks later when Rafa spoke of how he tried very hard for Knocky I chuckled :lol:

On the whole though, toon fans seem a decent enough bunch who have respect.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Newcastle to Barnsley is less than two hours drive compared to well over four from Brighton. For them its the equivalent of our trips to Charlton where we regularly sell out 4k. Besides that who gives a toss anyway.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Yes he justified it by saying they took 5.7k to Barnsley :facepalm: The Willy waving is rife in Yorkshire.

It must be something in the air up there... All they seem to care about is who is bigger... Leeds even try to have a rivalry with Man Utd to justify their huge size... Then there is the MASSIVE... hmmm Good job Yorkshire is a big county!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here