Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray's penalty appeal

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
SKY highlights. He made a terrific heading attempt which the goalie saved well. BUT the defender defo kicked him high and in fact it looked like the boot hit the head... and Muzza didn't duck into it. Penalty or not.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
SKY highlights. He made a terrific heading attempt which the goalie saved well. BUT the defender defo kicked him high and in fact it looked like the boot hit the head... and Muzza didn't duck into it. Penalty or not.
More of a question was the dunk handball a penalty ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

As I thought I was at the time, and the Grauniad report mentioned, their player lifted Dunk's arm up to knock him into the ball.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not - indirect free kick for dangerous play.

* Please tell me the rules haven't changed since I qualified as a ref 15 years ago!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Seeing as their player pushed Dunks hand right onto the ball, no. Cheating imo.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Well there's been a few penalties lately where the defender has raised his foot and caught the attacker, seeing it in realtime I thought penalty, through blue tinted glasses of course. But what about baldocks yellow card, haven't seen any replays of it but at the time I thought it was cast iron penalty, anyone seen anything of this?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Well there's been a few penalties lately where the defender has raised his foot and caught the attacker, seeing it in realtime I thought penalty, through blue tinted glasses of course. But what about baldocks yellow card, haven't seen any replays of it but at the time I thought it was cast iron penalty, anyone seen anything of this?
My stream was patchy to say the least but I thought the defender caught him and it looked a pen to me

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is dangerous play inside the penalty area just an indirect free kick?

Yes I'm pretty sure it is. As its def indirect if upside the area. Had a quick Google and its hidden in certain articles - at the bottom here below - but nothing 100%. Think I'm right though - someone will confirm:

http://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/2525/which-offences-result-in-indirect-free-kicks

Again, if he actually catches the striker it may be deemed a standard foul - isn't dangerous play if the intent is there but no contact? I'm rusty on the finer rules these days.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not - indirect free kick for dangerous play.

* Please tell me the rules haven't changed since I qualified as a ref 15 years ago!

changed a few years ago no such thing as dangerous play now its just a foul so direct freekick anywhere on the pitch. Indirect is now only for infringement of the rules such as offside. Obstruction is now a straight foul where before it was indirect.

Oh and he was kicked twice in the head in the area, within minutes.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
changed a few years ago no such thing as dangerous play now its just a foul so direct freekick anywhere on the pitch. Indirect is now only for infringement of the rules such as offside. Obstruction is now a straight foul where before it was indirect.

Oh and he was kicked twice in the head in the area, within minutes.

Thanks - and yes Murray certainly was kicked in the head twice for sure - one of them the ref ignores because he got his header away... Not doubting your words but definately saw a ref in a game recently signal an indirect free kick for something on the edge of the area that I think was for dangerous play / foot up - it may well have been at the Amex in fact. May have been on TV can't remember!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thanks - and yes Murray certainly was kicked in the head twice for sure - one of them the ref ignores because he got his header away... Not doubting your words but definately saw a ref in a game recently signal an indirect free kick for something on the edge of the area that I think was for dangerous play / foot up - it may well have been at the Amex in fact. May have been on TV can't remember!

It's dangerous play only if no contact is made. If there's contact then it's a penalty, surely?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Never a penalty, he did handball it, but only after he was fouled and barged by the defender, causing the handball which wouldn't have otherwise happened

Baldock should have had an early penalty too but was inexplicably booked instead which it was clear to us present that he was fouled and had not dived + the Murray incident where he was kicked in the head in the box (no foul and the ref didn't even want to stop for the head injury and played on for quite a while) only for the ref to award a free kick against us for a high boot which was only waist high shortly afterwards

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's dangerous play only if no contact is made. If there's contact then it's a penalty, surely?

Yeh I think you're right however it seems there's now no such thing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here