Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fake news

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Who do YOU trust to hear the truth about stuff?

I've got to the point where unless I hear the whole interview/press conference/footage I don't trust a report from the media. Whoever covers it from tv/radio/newspaper they always pick and chose what to report on, often without the context.

And I don't think this is a new thing either, I'll never forget how they all reported the Goldstone York "riot" just to suit their anti-football fan Euro 96 agenda. Complete nonsense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was told by my Dad, donkey's years ago, never believe what you read in the papers. There's nothing new, under the sun.

I also complained to the BBC about their coverage of Calais in chaos when immigrants were supposed to be burning tyres on the roads, when it was striking ferry workers who were doing it. I didn't receive a reply from my email.
I knew this for a fact because I was in Calais at the time.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I definitely double check more stories now. It is frightening at how this 'post-truth' world is evolving. I find most mainstream news impossibe to watch and treat the internet 'news' sites with a huge pinch of salt.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thankfully we have Ofcom that does force a factual basis for news reporting in broadcast across our shores. Without it you end up with opinion based reporting, that the difference between Sky News UK and Fox News US

To have no bias at all its almost impossible, the BBC for example for criticised from left and right in their quest to demonstrate impartiality

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And I don't think this is a new thing either,

it isn't. you'd read the same news event in the Guardian and Telegraph and have a completely differing view. and likewise both will report on favorite issues with report highlighting their (or theri readerships) preferred angle. this is not fake news. its biased, misreporting, but not strictly fake.

fake news is when you say black is white, you've had the largest inauguration crowd, blame immigrants for event that didnt happen or use engineered "grass roots" fears to deliver policies. its borderline conspiracy theory, often just the other side of that line. and its notable that those loudest at complaining about fake news are those that have used it, since they are familar with the practice they assume its being against them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
it isn't. you'd read the same news event in the Guardian and Telegraph and have a completely differing view. and likewise both will report on favorite issues with report highlighting their (or theri readerships) preferred angle. this is not fake news. its biased, misreporting, but not strictly fake.

fake news is when you say black is white, you've had the largest inauguration crowd, blame immigrants for event that didnt happen or use engineered "grass roots" fears to deliver policies. its borderline conspiracy theory, often just the other side of that line. and its notable that those loudest at complaining about fake news are those that have used it, since they are familar with the practice they assume its being against them.

It used to be called propaganda.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Yep. The Donald et al have hijacked the term. Fake news is Breitbart and infowars. Representing fiction as fact is fake news, bias is not.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Who do YOU trust to hear the truth about stuff?

I've got to the point where unless I hear the whole interview/press conference/footage I don't trust a report from the media. Whoever covers it from tv/radio/newspaper they always pick and chose what to report on, often without the context.

And I don't think this is a new thing either, I'll never forget how they all reported the Goldstone York "riot" just to suit their anti-football fan Euro 96 agenda. Complete nonsense.

The Daily Mail.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Now, unusually, I agree with your second paragraph here (not convinced by the first: The Guardian and Telegraph might report the same story, and focus on the same facts, but will put a different interpretation or emphasis on them; they might also select different stories to highlight).

PS you are still welcome to respond to the significant healthcare facts that I posted on that NHS thread -- it ought to be an open goal for you, as you claim that you work in healthcare metrics; I'm just an interested onlooker who wants to preserve -- and therefore defend -- the NHS.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The BBC attempts to achieve impartiality, but never achieves it. This is because it has to operate within an extant hegemony which has a particular interpretation (liberal and western would be the best description of this). The difficulty of achieving such impartiality has been heightened over recent decades with the emergence of alternative global/regional news media (e.g. Al-Jazeera), and the Internet and other social media. Much of the latter is a cesspit which is a key reason why we have our current political situation, although Wikipedia does a much better job than most key players.
My favourite source of news remains C4 News.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I tend to read multiple sources and then make my mind up from there.

It's never been a good idea to get all of your news from one source but now it's even more problematic because of general inability to trust one source over another.

BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, Reuters, Associated Press.

From those I feel I get a reasonably balanced mix.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
NSC is my place to get real, genuine news.

Everything you read on here is 100% truth.

Except this post.

Actually, NSC is a pretty good place, as long as you're a bit cynical.

Because so many people post, important news stories get picked up quickly, and you get to see how they develop over time.

If you've been on NSC long enough, you get to know who has an axe to grind on which subjects, and who is fairly balanced.

Importantly, you also get exposed to a wide variety of views, which you probably won't get from a single newspaper or TV channel.

But you won't get the depth of detail and background that newspapers provide.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Reuters do an excellent job, the news/media is always impartially delivered. The company holds very high standards with regards to this. I worked there for 15 years so can testify to this. There have been a couple of instances where this wasn't the case over the years but considering the huge number of journalists employed I think they do an excellent job.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Rolling news has made it worse, news channels now so desperate to be first to report a fact, that they do not check that it is a fact, and many of these incorrect reports are never retracted.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Rolling news has made it worse, news channels now so desperate to be first to report a fact, that they do not check that it is a fact, and many of these incorrect reports are never retracted.

Absolutely, and it's so shallow, including the BBC. Recently bought a few Guardians (well, free with Waitrose shopping) for the first time in many, many years, and realised how awful TV and most online news is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here