You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tomorrow morning...

Worthing -> Victoria £8.50
Worthing -> Waterloo £31.30

What's that all about?

Would a 'London Terminals' ticket cover Waterloo for £8.50 or do I need to get a ticket to Clapham Junction and then a second ticket from CJ to Waterloo?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
London terminals should cover it I would have thought.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tomorrow morning...

What's that all about?

Would a 'London Terminals' ticket cover Waterloo for £8.50 or do I need to get a ticket to Clapham Junction and then a second ticket from CJ to Waterloo?
Worthing to Vic ticket is probably explicit and won't cover Waterloo.....?

£8.50 sounds so cheap it's a mistake!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Tomorrow morning...

What's that all about?

It's because you're using more than 1 train company (Southern to CJ then SWT to Waterloo). Not that that is a justification at all! Get a London terminals ticket or even a separate return from CJ to Waterloo wouldn't cost too much.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Bozza, I've just checked the fares database. The £8.50 is an advanced ticket. The £31 is a flexible peak time single.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza, I've just checked the fares database. The £8.50 is an advanced ticket. The £31 is a flexible peak time single.

It's what both the Southern Rail and National Rail sites are giving me for tomorrow morning if I buy now. I can't be arsed to spend any more time on it, I'll get the £8.50 single to CJ and then the £3 or so single to Waterloo from there.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It's what both the Southern Rail and National Rail sites are giving me for tomorrow morning if I buy now. I can't be arsed to spend any more time on it, I'll get the £8.50 single to CJ and then the £3 or so single to Waterloo from there.

It is the cheapest available fare but you'll be assigned what train you need to take from BTN-CLJ.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The cheaper ticket comes with a guaranteed 289 minute delay whereas the more expansive ticket comes only with a 5 minute delay

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think my return from Brighton to St Pancras is less than a tenner. That's using FCC.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It is the cheapest available fare but you'll be assigned what train you need to take from BTN-CLJ.
I doubt it. I have had £5 tickets from southwick to Victoria and on website it states exact train only. Pick the tickets up and ticket does not have a specific time/train only specific TOC.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Victoria service does without the 'safety critical operative', otherwise known as a striker, thus keeping the costs down?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Am I alone in hankering for the days when you could just have one option on rail fares, one price for peak and off peak, rather than all this nonsense. Its a voyage of discovery every time you go on to get a ticket now, the result could be anything as far as I can see. Even a quick trip to London is variable these days. Odd and disconcerting.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No, I think it's Waterloo the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest winner. £31 for going back in time 43 years isn't too bad. Just don't book a Southern train to get you back to the present day.

But although going back in time, it would only necessitate going from Worthing to Brighton as Eurovision was held at The Dome that year :)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I doubt it. I have had £5 tickets from southwick to Victoria and on website it states exact train only. Pick the tickets up and ticket does not have a specific time/train only specific TOC.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

The part about going to Victoria (or in this case Waterloo) is correct, no extra ticket CLJ-WAT would be needed according to the fares database although I've not checked southerns specific website for the advance fare in question.

It depends on the machine you pick them up from. New tickets have the booked train on the ticket part rather than a separate reservation coupon. Advance tickets are booked train only however.

For the others general rule of thumb with the "route" offered is:

Any Permitted: Any allowed route by the journey planner or National Routing Guide (mostly unused now though as it's in the journey planner back end for all Network Rail Data Feed using apps)
TOC specific: "Southern Only" or "Thameslink Only" don't book you to a specific service - only a specific company or brand can be used but you can use any of their services on a permitted route.
Booked Train Only/ "Bkd Train Oly" would be the train specified on either your ticket in tiny print in the middle of the ticket or on a reservation coupon. Advance tickets will say "only valid with reservation 12345" and the coupon would say "only valid with ticket 12345"

I can't recall if the £5 ticket offer is advance only or if it is "Southern only" too.

Also note - when you buy your flexible (TOC specific or Any Permitted) ticket online you do need to select a service to make sure you're buying (in theory) the cheapest valid ticket. If you're travelling after 1030 for example it'd show you off peak fares. That ticket would then be valid for any off peak service if it isn't advance and you will not get a reservation coupon. It wouldn't show you the more expensive peak time fare because it wouldn't apply to your journey.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here