Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich's first goal

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
The photos below show how we set up for the kick vs where we were when his foot actually touched the ball - we had retreated by over a yard.

If we had held our ground, either all their players would have been offside or Stocko could have simple gobbled it up.

image2.PNGimage1.PNG

Need to work on this or we will get caught out again.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
From my vantage point in west upper, level with 18 yard line, looked off side. The lino on the far side was dreadful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Bruno sort of half jumoved to get the ball, thought he and the other defender should have got the ball too. Poor goal. I'm sure CH has analysed it with the team.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Doesn't like coming off his line Stocko.

He is off his line, in the pic, and the scorer knocked him over when he (Ipswich player) got the ball, which was why he was injured.

From the north stand, (terrible angle) I wondered about offside too.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Watch almost every free kick in a similar area in almost any other game and exactly the same thing will happen. Defenders always move back as the ball is delivered. If they don't and an attacker beats the offside, they are clear through on their own.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
With the right delivery those are VERY hard to defend. It was a fantastic delivery. I would have liked them all to step up though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The photos below show how we set up for the kick vs where we were when his foot actually touched the ball - we had retreated by over a yard.

If we had held our ground, either all their players would have been offside or Stocko could have simple gobbled it up.

Lets see the photo where their player who scores touches the ball and that will give a better indication.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Huddersfield were very good at standing firm, and catching us offside. I posted the following in another thread, and as it's not too far off the subject matter of this thread, I'll copy it here:

I'm of the view that we've increasingly got a problem with set-pieces, by which I mean everything that involves us attacking or defending the goal, bar penalties (where we seem to be amazing at both ends). Obviously, we've got a hugely impressive goal difference (+26 from memory), but I do wonder how many we've scored and conceded from non-penalty set pieces, and suspect that there may be a negative register there. If this is the case, it's somewhat surprising given that we're a fairly big side, and have got strong headers of the ball, including our two CBs, Murray and/or Hemed are excellent defensively (at least), and then throw in Bruno, Stephens and Sidwell, perhaps even Bong.
I'm posing this more as a question really (perhaps it deserves its own thread): is it the case that we have a negative register on set-pieces and, if so, why?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Lets see the photo where their player who scores touches the ball and that will give a better indication.

Not sure if I've missed the sarcasm but a better indication of what? Certainly isn't related to my point!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Clear dive to win the free kick to start with. The ball was then hit perfectly, swinging in and dipping sharply. Stockdale would have had to come too far off his line to take that at a safe height.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Doesn't like coming off his line Stocko.

Not sure what point you're making here? Are you suggesting that Stockdale's starting position for that free kick is wrong? He's exactly where he should be - ready to come if its a high floated ball (it wasn't) but not far enough to invite the direct shot at goal.

I'd imagine if he'd started 5 yards further out, and been lobbed you'd have been part of the lynch mob, on his back for that.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You couldn't have a WALL then :jester:

and it would also leave them with a clear run at goal.

Plan D
Offside trap, Derbyesque

[tweet]290520447051763712[/tweet]

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
and it would also leave them with a clear run at goal.

Plan D
Offside trap, Derbyesque

[tweet]290520447051763712[/tweet]

In this instance though, almost impossible. The set-up is on the edge of the box, in-line with the players in the two-man wall. If those in the line all step up, the wall would still play them all on-side!

You'd need to move back (like they have) and THEN step out at the last moment, leaving the opposition stranded offside. Tricky to time, and likely to fail (not that what we did, turned out great!)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
You couldn't have a WALL then :jester:

Seem to recall Brian Clough (I think) once saying he didn't like walls at free kicks as it can obscure the 'keepers vision, but primarily actually helps the taker in that it gives him something to try and curl the ball round. He reasoned that it was harder without a wall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here